How to convert a single harness to a tandem harness

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Diva's Girl

Reaction score
I have been looking for a diagram to show me how the lead horse hooks to the wheel horse/cart and what pieces might be modified but I can't find a clear one or any videos showing how to hitch them? I will be ground driving long before I hitch just like with any new team and will be starting with a 36" pair. My older dead broke mare as the wheel horse and my green broke gelding as the lead. Later when I get my new foal I will start them in lead once they are old enough with my mare at the wheel.

go to pair driving dot com. There is a photo album and at least one article about Tandem driving.

google pics of tandem driving - some of the images that come up will show different was to hook up. Also several of the older, driving/carriage websites show this - with different ways to hook the horse in front.

Some of those ways include "keys" to hook the lead horse directly to the wheel horse (specialized harness). Hooking the lead horse to a single tree that is attached to the wheel horse. Just tying your lead horse with twine (to start) with to the sides of your wheel horses breast collar... I don't have any particular pics of that arrangement.

Googling should also get you into the archives here at LB - their were at least two drivers in the erly to mid 2000s that had LOTS of pics here on the forum -I've never been able to access it via the Archiving features but can thru google. In a previous post in the last couple of months I posted quite a few links for someone else...

Latest posts

Back