How Tall of a Stud to Breed to a 28inch Mare

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

windwalker

Reaction score
Hi Can anyone tell me if a 31inch stallion is to big to breed to a 27.75 and 28inch mares? The stallions dam is 33.75 and sire is 30.5"...I have pictures of the stallion and Mares if you email me private...

at [email protected]...

Any input would be helpfull...Thanks

I had been breeding my stallion which was 32.25" to my 30" mares and he has had 15 foals healthy foals and no problems with my mares. (he was not refined) Certain mares have needed our help, but that goes with minis.

Most of his offspring stayed around 30" and a couple went to 32".

Now, he is sold we will be breeding a 27.75" stallion with my mares .

Last edited by a moderator:
If the mares would be having their first foals from this mating, personally I would go with a smaller stallion.

JMO,

Joyce

Thank You ...This stud is refined but 3 inches taller than my mares so i'm just wondering if buying him and breeding him to my mares is a good idea...

Thank You ...This stud is refined but 3 inches taller than my mares so i'm just wondering if buying him and breeding him to my mares is a good idea...
Well, if you have not bought him, than small would be better, just never know for sure.

I used to have a 32.5 inch stallion and used him on some smaller mares. He was refined and his head was rather narrow.

His babies were never difficult for the mares to birth and they usually stayed very nice and small.

358605465.jpg

Mitzie is around 29 and the sire for this foal was 32.5

Just as long as he was refined and the mare has a good hip, I was never concerned with a 2 inch difference

I bred my 29 inch mare to my 32 inch stud for a 2009 foal. He is refined where she sort-of is and I think she will do just fine. I have bred her in the past with a heavy boned 30.5 inch stud and she foaled out without any assistance from me. It all depends on the mare and stud.

My 32" mare was bred to a 33.75" stud and she foaled just fine. However, the resulting foal is running right on the edge of going oversize. Even though there is a chance of any match going over I have my eye on a very tiny stud. The owner says he is 25" and he most likely is. He is 3 years old. He is being bred to a mare that belongs to a friend of mine on a lease. I am still trying to get his owner to give me a stud fee price. He looks perfect as far as confermation. I couldn't belive he was so little. I would love to own him. But he isn't for sale.

"Smaller" is not necessarily better at all
confused0036.gif

I've seen a lot of 28" and under stallions that are built like blocks... more of that kind really than any I'd call refined. If they have a somewhat pretty head, I've even heard people call them refined
default_rolleyes.gif

If she were my mare, I would put MUCH more importance on the stallion's build, looking for a very refined bone structure
default_yes.gif

Last year, we had a 32" maiden who had been bred to a 34" refined Buckeroo son, and the result was a routine birth and a awesome buckskin filly on track to mature around the height of the dam, if not smaller. Then for foals this year, a 30" maiden was bred last year to a nicely refined 33" stallion. Same result -- easy, easy birth and gorgeous, refined buckskin filly who will also favor the height of her dam. You can see my foals page to see the examples (dams, sires and foals) I'm referring to -- WFM's Foals (2008's Cover Girl and 2009's Piper)
smile.gif

Good luck
yes.gif

In addition to the build of the stallion, you need to consider how roomy the mares are internally. And no, despite what people think, you can't always tell by standing there looking at a mare. Just because they make look wide and roomy, doesn't mean they are. I have an under 30" mare that my vet said is VERY roomy, yet I know of a 34"+ mare that was small internally, smaller than my little mare. And I know of other mares that looked roomy and really weren't. The dam of the 34"+ mare that I mentioned previously was out of a 32" mare that looked as big as a house from the outside (she was truly a chunk :DOH! ), but she was small internally as well as her daughter.

Thanks so much for all the help and opinions...It helped alot....I have heard of people breeding small mares to small studs and still having foaling problems and even breeding mares 33 to 35 inches mares to small studs and still having foaling problems..So this confused me but I guess it all depends on the mare? This 31 inch stallion that I would love to own is really refined but no foals to see what he sires...Thanks again...

Latest posts

Back