How on earth am I going to fix this?!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lil Eowyn

Reaction score
Try not to laugh, I don't know what to do, our show is in two weeks! This is so embarrassing.

If I cut any shorter, it'll be like down to the skin
default_sad.png

http://s21.postimg.org/i3i7eml4n/IMG_0005.jpg

http://s21.postimg.org/xrjelf0qf/IMG_0004.jpg

http://s24.postimg.org/nwbmqna1h/IMG_0039.jpg

http://s11.postimg.org/at57vvdg3/IMG_0040.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Good thing you gave yourself a couple weeks. Yes, you need to get it shorter, and keep your clipper blades against the horse's body the entire time making a pass over the hair. If you don't like a "skinned" look, use a #10 blade. You are obviously holding the blades away from the horse's body while making your pass which results in that "choppy" look...put them up against him/her the entire time. Don't worry, it gets easier and practice makes perfect. Since you are in MN - be sure to blanket on cold days/nights.

I only have 4 blades (cheap set from walmart) I think the biggest guard was 1/2. The biggest problem is, Éowyn moves around a LOT and then I get messed up. I cross tie her but she moves her back end everywhere so the back part is all choppy but the front is fine.

We use #10 blades. We don't care for the "scalped" look or "pink" grays. Anyway-I won't laugh-our looked WORSE the first time we tried and the horse stood still! LOL! You have been given good suggestions so far. And practice does make it more perfect. Eowyn should get used to it eventually and will probably stand better too.

I don't think you're going to be pleased with the end result of the clippers and blades you are using. You really need appropriate clippers and blades if you're preparing for a show.

The blade length, clipper motor and the direction you are going with the clippers are causing your lines.

Remember to go against the hair.. Clip horse, bathe horse, dry & clip again.

This is fixable, but you need to go back over it (against the hair) with a shorter blade. Preferably with a #10 blade.

Added:

Another reason the front may look fine is because with the clippers you have the motor is already wearing out and your blade is beginning to dull.

If you are using the "blade guard", take it off and clip again, this time against the hair growth. Keep going over each small section until it is smooth and you are pleased with it before going on to the next section of the horse. Also, I would tie her against a stall or wall rather than cross tieing. That way you can push her up against the wall with your hip while you work on her. Much easier that way rather than chasing her around a loos cross tie.

Okay thank you I will try this tomorrow.

This can be fixed by using suggestions others have posted.But please do not clip any closer unless you are able to blanket this horse after clipping.If I remember from a previous post you stated that you did not have any kind of blanket or covering If you clip the hair off any horse and do not provide warmth in the form of a blanket your horse may be at risk for getting a chill and getting sick.Hair on a horse is protection and when clipped off natural protection is gone.What we do for showing goes against the nature of the beast.They look much better(in most cases, but are more vulnerable to temperatures, sun and insects.I'm sure your clipping job will improve each time you do it.Good luck-some great suggestions from members.

I think you may be using clippers designed for human haircuts? I have used those for head and bridle path trims, but to get a smooth cut on the body it is better to use one made for horses. I know it will be expensive but it will make it easier for you.

I agree on not having the skinned look some go for and always used the #10 blade and my favorite has been the Sunbeam clipmaster, clipping with long strokes makes such a difference.

I think we all have had clipping nightmares at one time or another - bathe again and use showsheen while damp, then clip when dry - good advice above about holding the blade right next to the body - don't force, let the clippers do the job, but try to make long slow strokes. Good luck. Practice again on her underbelly until you get a good touch going.

your horse looks a lot like mine. I had dull blades and it makes it hard. I used to be a dog groomer..and so I do know how to clip. do you have all the winter coa tout? Youmight want to try a "bot knife" to seeif you can get undrercoat out.

and yes...the right tools make all the difference.

i have a question for you all. You use a 10 in reverse? Isn tthat extremely close?that would make your 10 like a 20 and that's not that far from a 30 which is bald.

I plan on gettingmy blades sharpened soon and try my clips again. I have a muultitude of blades..oneof thebebbies of having been a groomer

Crisco, I don't understand what you mean by using a 10 blade in reverse. Please explain. I just clip in the usual way, clipper in standard position, against the grain of the hair. No clip-on 'combs' used in dog grooming. Do you mean going with the grain of the hair, or holding the clipper upside down?

I have seen body clips with a 30 blade in the show ring, and they look almost bald, a 10 does not look like that. A horse is supposed to have hair, just not as much as a yak (! like mine look right now!) ha. My little pom-a-poo looked too close to me when I used a 10 on her, but on a horse I think it doesn't.

Did you use a 7 on poodles?

in dog grooming when you go in reverse you are going against the grain. seldom do you go against the grain in dog grooming. You can pretty much multiply by 2 when going in reverse, so a 5 with the grain is a 5 but against grain is simular to a 10 blade. If that makes sense. .poodle faces are usually a 10 down the length of the nose,and against grain in cheeks. on not sensitive faces I liked to take a 15, Poodle feet are usually done with a 15.

all that said..i guess i will try a 10 against the grain on my horses if that is what people say to do. I would have guessed a smoother cut going against the grain but would have thought it terribly short. I think I did a dull 7 with grain..on dirty hair and yep they look like crap

I am a professional dog groom and yes with grooming dogs you usually go with the lay of the hair -- with exception; CFCF, etc.. With horses I go against the hair with a #10. It's the best in my opinion to get a smooth and very finish clip.

When I do my large dog shave downs I use a #10 or #7 w/ the hair.. However, for some coats I go against the books a little and a #7 in reverse will actually leave it smoother and about the same length as a #10 -- maybe a tab longer and smoother.

Latest posts

Back