How of a hay shed?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HorseyGurl22

Reaction score
So I'm having a hay shed built to store all my hay for the winter. I estimated that I'll need about 130-150 bales of hay for my 3 horses.

I want to build a three sided shed with a wood floor, something simple, but I'm not sure what the measurements should be. Can anyone help me out
please.gif

Hi,

We bought some tents that are 10 ft by 20 ft and the walls are aprox 8 ft high and the roof peaks. We were able to get nearly 200 bales in each tent by stacking tight to the sides and nearly to the roof.

Hope that helps some.

Angie

I want to build a three sided shed with a wood floor

Mistake #1. Why not just build a 4 sided one since you're building? If you don't you'll always be running for tarps and covers soon as the wind and rain blow that way. The wood floor is a great idea. I do have a wood floor and love it. I then use pallets on top of it too covering the whole floor with them. My hay shed is 12 X 16 and I can fit nearly 150 bails in it if I had to by squishing them in tight. I have about 100 in there now packed loosely. The barn cats make tunnels in there and that's where they go to stay nice and warm.

Marty said:
Mistake #1. Why not just build a 4 sided one since you're building? If you don't you'll always be running for tarps and covers soon as the wind and rain blow that way. The wood floor is a great idea. I do have a wood floor and love it. I then use pallets on top of it too covering the whole floor with them.  My hay shed is 12 X 16 and I can fit nearly 150 bails in it if I had to  by squishing them in tight. I have about 100 in there now packed loosely. The barn cats make tunnels in there and that's where they go to stay nice and warm.

502406[/snapback]

I agree with Marty, I would go 4 sides with double doors that open out on the side you want to go in and out.., But whatever you do, make sure the building has a way to breathe and keep air circulating
yes.gif
.... We had to put tarps up to keep wind blown rain out of our Hay Barn, and it gets really old trying to fight tarps and keep them from blowing around or ripping off during nasty storms or just plain windy days...

Our hay shed is a single slope roof--overall size 20' x 36', with the roof 7' on the lowest side & 10' on the highest. The horses use the first section, which is 20'x12', and then we have hay in the remaining 24' section. We can fit just under 400 bales into that if we pack it right full. And that would mean stuffing the bales right up under the roof...works if you have a man to do the stacking, but for just me, I cannot cram those 70 lb bales in there that way so I never put quite that many in there.

I would figure a 10' x 20' or something very close. This will allow for air movement and extra hay or straw in the future if needed.

Also i assume that you are using small bales say 60# or very close, but you may want to clarify this as the sizes of bale vary greatly.

We don't have a hay shed per say, but I do have a section walled off in the back of the open-front cattle shed to stack hay in. I stack in an 8x16' section and can easily get over 100 bales in there (~55# bales). I'm not sure how tall the barn is, but the back wall is 8-10' tall and the front wall is 16-18' tall (shed was made tall enough to drive a tractor with bucket into for cleaning).

Mistake #1. Why not just build a 4 sided one since you're building? If you don't you'll always be running for tarps and covers soon as the wind and rain blow that way. The wood floor is a great idea. I do have a wood floor and love it. I then use pallets on top of it too covering the whole floor with them. My hay shed is 12 X 16 and I can fit nearly 150 bails in it if I had to by squishing them in tight. I have about 100 in there now packed loosely. The barn cats make tunnels in there and that's where they go to stay nice and warm.
I was advised to build a 3 sided shed for air curculation. What do you for air circulation in a 4 sided building? I wold love to know as I wasn't looking forward to battleing tarps
wink.gif

My hay barn is a 12' x 15' x 7' 4 sided building with a double door in front. I can fit 200 bales in (stacked right) and still have room left over. For ventilation we put one of those "whirly gigs" on top and vents in the front doors. My hay stays dry and the horses can't get to it.

Latest posts

Back