How much to feed easy keeper

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MPR

Reaction score
We just got a 45" pony gelding that is a VERY easy keeper. I really don't know how much hay to give him.? We have him with one mini and in the past 4 days, they have eaten down all the grass in their fenced area. This will probably eventually just turn to dirt and they'll be on a dry lot. I'm new to having equines at home, and really don't know how much hay to give them. The mini gelding is a VERY easy keeper too. The pony doesn't have a hay belly, but if I push my finger into him, he does have a layer of fat on him. The people we got him from said that when they got him, he was REALLY over weight. They slimed him down, but he is still pudgy.

I haven't yet learned how to post pictures or I would. I'll try to figure it out so I can, a little later.

I would ask your vet. Our vet did some measuring to solve a formula they use to determine how much the horse weighs and then the height. They will tell you what they should weigh and if you will need to cut back or give more.

With our mini, we were instructed to give a flake of grasshay in the am and pm along with a horse suppliment, we use horseguard, and a salt and mineral block. Our ground is selenium defitiant so we make sure it's in the salt block. The flakes were about 3 inches across if that helps and we are having to adjust it for her as she has started to gain a bit. The vet told us that we need to keep track of the ribs and the neck. He said you should be able to feel the ribs, not see them, and not have to dig to get to them. He compared it to feeling your own. The neck is also a warning sign for weight gain. It will start to develope a crest on the top. Here is a link to a website about this. Keep in mind there are a lot of different ways and advise on the web and from others, but you should consult your vet and see what advise they give you. You'll be able to figure out what is the right amount for yours, it will just take a bit of time. They are all different.

http://www.kingstons.net.au/category60_1.htm

Ok, thanks. He's definately spongy on the sides. Here's a picture. He looks ok, but when touching him, it's clear that he's fat. Right now, I'm just puting out a little bit of hay, 3 times a day. He's 45" tall. I'll put the weight tape on him today.

DSC02347_edited.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I like to see a horse well filled out - I don't think this one looks terribly fat, he just looks like he needs to be conditioned to build up muscle. Remember that they need more hay when it gets cold and to really watch (or feel) for condition under that big winter coat.

Handsome boy!

I agree with Sheryl that he needs to be conditioned. Very nice looking horse.

I wouldn't really cut back on that pony's feed. He looks at a decent weight. I would think it healthier to start working him instead. THIN and flabby isn't very healthy, but filled-out and muscular is ideal.

Andrea

I measured him with a weight tape and he measured at 600 lbs. The vet was out and said that according to his teeth, he is about 11 yrs. old.

Thanks for the replies ..... Now, I think it's more that he's flabby, rather than fat. His muscles feel spongy.

We've only had him about a week now. We've been taking him on walks every day in hand. He doesn't know how to lunge, but I can start teaching him that. He is trained to drive but his harness won't be ready until mid November. So, I can't really WORK him much now, except for these walks.

Latest posts

Back