How many of you don't have

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not sure if I should muddle into this conversation or not as I have very strong points of view about this. First I am Canadian so we have universal medical here and I wouldn't want any other way. We pay higher taxes in this country than in the U.S. BUT it's worth it when I read what I am reading here. The waiting times at emergency depend on the amount of people and what your emergency is. A TRUE emergency is looked after IMMEDIATELY, there is no wait. If you are going in with a cough and perhaps strepthroat because it's after your doctor's office hours or the clinic you usually go to is closed, yes you will have to wait by priority. As far as getting less quality care, that is not true and not sure where that perception is coming from. Perhaps in the U.S. the ones with most $$ are the ones that get looked after quicker? I am just asking but that seems to be our perception here, for those of us that do not reside in the U.S. and that is where I have a BIG problem. To me, if you don't have your health you have nothing in this world. Health is a basic in life and not something you should have to pay exhorbitant costs out of your own pocket with the amount of taxes we all pay in all countries. You say you don't want government to have control... but what I see is that your insurance companies are the ones that have CONTROL, you don't and the insurance companies are FAR WORSE then having your government offer medical to all, no matter what your income is, whether you are rich or poor, whether you are a senior or a child..... When I look at what some of you pay monthly for coverage you probably pay more in the longrun then we do in taxes that go towards are universal medical coverage in Canada. There are no perfect programs out there but I am glad we have ours and wouldn't want the system that you have for anything in the world. I have empathy for those in your country that can't afford the medications they need. Why are your prescriptions so much higher than ours? Why are the pharmaceuticals basically denying people their health?

I watched the documentary "Sicko" by Michael Moore and I agree that some of it is over the top BUT the botton line I agree with. I am not sure what the solution is for the U.S. but, I may ruffle some feathers here by saying this, but I have asked myself many times, for a country that has so much, gives to other countries, spends alot of $$ on other things (wars, etc)... I just don't understand that "their own seem to comes last" when it comes to help. I understand that everyone should look after their own needs, as someone said here but sometimes people need help, whether it's health, whether a catastrophic storm like in New Orleans, that is still going on..... I just don't get that mentality. The U.S. is one of the most generous countries when it comes to other countries, why are they turning their back on their own, the people that made your country great?

Something needs to be done. I don't know "what" but I am very much NOT in favor of socialized medicine in this Nation. But, there's got to be a better solution than what we currently have going on.

Not sure if I should muddle into this conversation or not as I have very strong points of view about this. First I am Canadian so we have universal medical here and I wouldn't want any other way. We pay higher taxes in this country than in the U.S. BUT it's worth it when I read what I am reading here. The waiting times at emergency depend on the amount of people and what your emergency is. A TRUE emergency is looked after IMMEDIATELY, there is no wait. If you are going in with a cough and perhaps strepthroat because it's after your doctor's office hours or the clinic you usually go to is closed, yes you will have to wait by priority. As far as getting less quality care, that is not true and not sure where that perception is coming from. Perhaps in the U.S. the ones with most $$ are the ones that get looked after quicker? I am just asking but that seems to be our perception here, for those of us that do not reside in the U.S. and that is where I have a BIG problem. To me, if you don't have your health you have nothing in this world. Health is a basic in life and not something you should have to pay exhorbitant costs out of your own pocket with the amount of taxes we all pay in all countries. You say you don't want government to have control... but what I see is that your insurance companies are the ones that have CONTROL, you don't and the insurance companies are FAR WORSE then having your government offer medical to all, no matter what your income is, whether you are rich or poor, whether you are a senior or a child..... When I look at what some of you pay monthly for coverage you probably pay more in the longrun then we do in taxes that go towards are universal medical coverage in Canada. There are no perfect programs out there but I am glad we have ours and wouldn't want the system that you have for anything in the world. I have empathy for those in your country that can't afford the medications they need. Why are your prescriptions so much higher than ours? Why are the pharmaceuticals basically denying people their health?

I watched the documentary "Sicko" by Michael Moore and I agree that some of it is over the top BUT the botton line I agree with. I am not sure what the solution is for the U.S. but, I may ruffle some feathers here by saying this, but I have asked myself many times, for a country that has so much, gives to other countries, spends alot of $$ on other things (wars, etc)... I just don't understand that "their own seem to comes last" when it comes to help. I understand that everyone should look after their own needs, as someone said here but sometimes people need help, whether it's health, whether a catastrophic storm like in New Orleans, that is still going on..... I just don't get that mentality. The U.S. is one of the most generous countries when it comes to other countries, why are they turning their back on their own, the people that made your country great?

default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif
Wow I could not have said it better myself!
default_yes.gif

Bonnie

Our insurance is broken in this Country. Rediculous that the companies get to decide if they want to cover your problem or not, not the Drs. If you have insurance, you should be covered.

Next, I think it rediculous that people say that a national health care plan is socialized. Yet, I get to pay for the education of others kids, when I dont have any and never will. How is one socialized and wrong, but they other right? :DOH!

I watched John Stossel's interview with Michael Moore and the 20/20 episode entitled "Sick In America". Michael Moore is, among other things, a propagandist. Stossel's points rang so true to my ears. You can see the program here, which addresses our health care system, the Canadian one, and those of other countries:

"Sick In America" on YouTube

VERY worth a watch and a listen!

There seems to be such a stigma attached to the words "socialized" in the U.S., speaking of medicine. Can I ask you to explain, those of you who are so against "universal" medical care, why? Do you feel it's better that the insurance companies are the ones that make the decision whether your claim is accepted or not?

Last edited by a moderator:
default_biggrin.png
I guess this might be deleted but I hope this doesn't turn into a Canadian and American bashing thread again!

Bonnie this state has only a couple of carriers. Thats why we have had a LOT of doctors close their practice and it is harder to get insurance in NH than most other states. The doctors have to provide health care for ther employees but can't afford the insurance for themselves I was in the health care field in this state for quite a few years so I do understand the system here. We had catastrophic insurance which is $5,000-$10,000 deductable and its was STILL over $800 a month for being self-employed with really no benefits. We had to drop it as they were going to increase it 45%! Most other states have some available help but the only thing NH has is Healthy Kids if you qualify. As of right now we can't afford the cost of health insurance in this state and the scary thing is with this election coming up if they adopt what Massachusetts has we are in for real trouble. If you live in Massachusetts you are REQUIRED to have health insurance. You will be fined if you don't, but the amazing thing is the fine is cheaper than the health insurance. Hmmn how does that work. I am all for promoting savings for health. It would help solve some problems not all. I can tell you it was over $1000 for the 15 stitches in Courtney's leg at the ER a couple of months ago and my drs appointment was over $200.

default_biggrin.png
I guess this might be deleted but I hope this doesn't turn into a Canadian and American bashing thread again!
I am sorry but I don't see anyone here bashing anyone. What I do see is concerned people discussing and trying to understand everyones point of view and I hope you are okay with that?

Thanks for the link to the you tube 20/20 tapes. Some very good points of view are being brought up by both sides and I smiled when they had the clip about Morewood in Canada. Morewood is a very small community not far from Russell, Ontario, where I use to live. Morewood and other very small communities are in the same quandry. They are towns that were very small and close to Ottawa and have seen an influx of new homes and people moving outside of the city of Ottawa. What has not happened is more doctors moving to these small communities so basically in Morewood you have the 1 community doctor, not unlike small towns in the U.S. Like many other people in Canada and the U.S., if you live in small towns you may have to drive an hour to a doctor in the city, that is nothing abnormal but it seems to be portrayed as the norm in Canada which made me smile when I saw the clip. I also thought that the clip about insurance for food, and other things were a little far fetched. I am afraid that I take "health" as something that is one of the most important things in life, not like a car or deciding whether you are going to eat hamburger versus filet mignon. Not having food at all of course would be a problem, just like not having any health care would be a problem. Both are fundamentals of life. I don't consider "cosmetic surgery" a necessity in life unless it is for reconstructive surgery because of illness or accident (burns, etc). It seems that it all boils down to money and the amount. It takes me back to my first post on this thread.

No insurance for me either.Something is definately wrong with my body.There are days were I think it would just be easier to just curl up and die because I'm so worn down from being constantly sick and in pain.

Some people think only lazy people go without proper health care.They think they are all set because they work hard and therefore have insurance.Just wait until the greedy insurance companies screw them or someone they love over.
default_no.gif

This country would be much stronger if it's citizens were all able to keep healthy and not be sinking in financial ruin from impossible medical bills.At the very least we would be able to keep up with the countries that actually do care for all of their citizens. Seems like a basic human right to me.

default_biggrin.png
I am sorry but I don't see anyone here bashing anyone. What I do see is concerned people discussing and trying to understand everyones point of view and I hope you are okay with that?
Of course I don't care if we start talking about it. I didn't say anyone was bashing anyone (yet), but I don't want to see it turn into one. Thats all I'm trying to say.

Well I am going to say, we live in the big ole fancy house, have LOTS of ponies, drive big fancy cars, shoot I even got me a big ole 42 foot living quarter trailer last year, hubby has harley and race car just for fun . And we pay $ 1,000 a month for our health coverage......do I think that is reasonable, heck no! I don't think anyone should have to pay this much money for health coverage. I especially hate it when I hear people with thier sacrafice, sacrafice, sacrafice junk!!!! I mean really what is there to live for if all we have are Death and Taxes! We also pay yearly in taxes what most people make, we pay $12,000 a year in property taxes. I think I have sacraficed and deserve to be able to have nice things, and not have to hear the good ole lecture about sacrafice.....for what becuase we go to the doctor once a year. And don't even get me started about deductibles and co-pays....I truly beleive that everyone should be able to have affordable health care coverage, and I also would much rather my taxes went to give everyone health insurance rather than welfare!!! JMO

Edited to add: I think another thing that people are not realizing is, while ones business is growing, many are the last of the dying breed! so to speak. We are going into a recession. What someone was able to afford 5 years ago, is now a thing of the past, and for others they are fine and then there are people who are doing much better now than 5 years ago. But I can testify that all of my expenses have tripled in the past 5 years, and there is no way I can be the only one this has happened to in the country. I think this is what is really hurting people, I don't know how to fix it, but with the drop in the housing prices and the rise of everything else, it really is a negative experience for most. It may look like to someone that they have made all these poor choices and not sacrificed, however they may have had thier stuff when the economy was booming and it sure as heck isn't now, definately in the 3 business's we own it isn't booming. So we try and hold on to what we have hoping that one day we will be able to get back to normal, and low and behold we have to give up things, and really it is an easy to choice to give up health coverage at $1,000+ a month in order to keep your car to go to work, or pay your electric so you have food and a place to live. just my take

I am a Canadian as well who has greatly benefited from our government healthcare system. The two surgeries that I had in 2002, one in a local hospital and then one two weeks later in a major cancer clinic would have been enough to bankrupt us.
default_no.gif
Of course our system is FAR from perfect, the wait times for surgeries, diagnostics and non-life threatening emergencies can be long. Many of our hospitals have closed and often our emergency rooms are put on critical care bypass due to overcrowding. There are no easy solutions to these problems either. Our government does not cover medications or dental care, for those you do need private insurance if you aren't covered through your job. I take expensive migraine medications that I pay for out of pocket and we pay out own dental.

I have seen many of Michael Moore's movies and while he is thought provoking I have to agree with Jill, he is a master propaganist! He is VERY good at showing you ONE side of a story. If he chose to he could probably argue the other side of the story just as well.
default_wacko.png

When I was living in the US I did have health insurance through my employer and was thankful that I did!!
default_yes.gif
I know there are no easy answers when it comes to health insurance but it breaks my heart to hear stories of people in the US not getting the health care that they need.
default_no.gif

Pam

I too am not for socialized medicine even though we already have it here in the US, for a large number of people, as I pointed out in a earlier post. What I would like to see is a lowering of taxes so we have more of what we earn to put towards the necessities. I don't want everything taken away from me and then have the government give me back what they think I need. There is pride in taking care of oneself and it can be done if what we work for isn't taken away by the government. Most of us understand that we have extremely high medical costs but do we understand why these costs are getting higher everyday? Are the insurance companies gouging us or are medical services getting so high that Insurance companiesw have to raise their rates to keep in business? Why does it cost us more and more EACH time we see a doctor? Are the doctors and hospitals gouging us or do they have ever more increasing costs so they have to raise the costs of their services? Even now there are doctors who don't like taking peoplewho are on Medicare because there is so much paperwork and Medicare will not always pay what the doctors charge. Will this be any better if we have only government covered health care? The US government has not shown to do a better job than private sectors of business ....even our education system is suffering because our government has been in charge of them. I have no doubts that something needs to be done with our health system but I have plenty of doubt that putting our health in the hands of the government is the right thing to do. There is so much that Americans need to do to have better health for themselves. Prevention of illnesses need be taught and practiced. Just some thoughts, Mary

I have no insurance right now and have not had it for several years. Nor have I seen a doctor in several years. After my divorse I was able to continue coverage under my husbands insurance for a few more years, but that ran out. I have been turned away from all insurance companies because I have had shoulder surgery and have a total shoulder joint replacement. They do not want to insure me. I can go on state insurance, but that is $600 a month for just me with a $4000 deductable. I just do not have that kind of money right now. I am self employed (a Realtor) and that is why I am having trouble. The Real Estate Market is so bad, that there is just about no income right now either To get a regular job at my age, would be a minimum wage job just to get insurance, then I would not be able to afford to pay any of my other bills. I can only hope that I stay healthy till I am old enough for Medicare.

What is wrong with our country when its citizens can not afford health care coverage and may loose everything they own?

I too am not for socialized medicine even though we already have it here in the US, for a large number of people, as I pointed out in a earlier post. What I would like to see is a lowering of taxes so we have more of what we earn to put towards the necessities. I don't want everything taken away from me and then have the government give me back what they think I need. There is pride in taking care of oneself and it can be done if what we work for isn't taken away by the government. Most of us understand that we have extremely high medical costs but do we understand why these costs are getting higher everyday? Are the insurance companies gouging us or are medical services getting so high that Insurance companiesw have to raise their rates to keep in business? Why does it cost us more and more EACH time we see a doctor? Are the doctors and hospitals gouging us or do they have ever more increasing costs so they have to raise the costs of their services? Even now there are doctors who don't like taking peoplewho are on Medicare because there is so much paperwork and Medicare will not always pay what the doctors charge. Will this be any better if we have only government covered health care? The US government has not shown to do a better job than private sectors of business ....even our education system is suffering because our government has been in charge of them. I have no doubts that something needs to be done with our health system but I have plenty of doubt that putting our health in the hands of the government is the right thing to do. There is so much that Americans need to do to have better health for themselves. Prevention of illnesses need be taught and practiced. Just some thoughts, Mary
I agree with alot that you have said with the exception of "prevention of illnesses need to be taught". Yes of course some can be taught, but tell that to the woman in the 20/20 episode linked here in one of the messages how to prevent breast cancer. Some things can be prevented, other things unfortunately aren't so black and white.

I feel very fortunate to have health, dental and vision insurance. I am covered by my work with a $200 deductible and have Tricare as my secondary insurance through my parents. I can't imagine not having health insurance, and the stress those who don't have it must endure. My family is the type who will go to the doctor for the smallest ailment
default_unsure.png

Of course I didn't mean that ALL illnesses can be prevented......I know for myself as a fact. I was speaking of proper diet to prevent such things as some diabetes and overweight. Getting a good amount of excercise for the heart and muscles. Not smoking etc. There will probably always be illnesses we can't prevent but many can be and that is what I meant on the prevention education.
default_wink.png

I agree with alot that you have said with the exception of "prevention of illnesses need to be taught". Yes of course some can be taught, but tell that to the woman in the 20/20 episode linked here in one of the messages how to prevent breast cancer. Some things can be prevented, other things unfortunately aren't so black and white.

I have insurance because I'm afraid not to. I 'thought' my payment was high, but after reading this thread, I realize I'm sorta lucky. I pay $219 per month with a $5,000 deductible. I am in that 'time zone' after retiring. I'm not 65 yet, so must have insurance. Even with Medicare, a person really needs a secondary insurance. It amazes when my husband gets a statement from Medicare. For example, the Dr. charges, say $450 for something and Medicare only allows $150 payment. So I guess the Drs. charge a higher fee for Medicare patients because they know they'll only get a minimal payment back??

Something no one has mentioned yet as reasons the insurance has gotten so high. IMO, the people who sue at the drop of a hat are a major problem. The Drs. must continually raise their insurance in case they are sued. As far as the Presidential race, no one person can do squat. I'm like Bonnie, I personally would like to see all Congress and Senate replaced!
default_wink.png
They have NO clue how a 'normal' person lives.
default_sad.png
They have SO many priviledges. At least I would like to see a term limit for both houses. Break that darn seniority and perhaps someone could get something done! JMO. It no longer is a duable thing for the 'common' person to get into politics. You have to be rich to even sign up.

I also agree that this rich country should be ashamed. Billions upon billions go to other countries and those of us who are helping make those billions get very little help from it. However, I just can't figure how to change things. I do vote, but usually vote against someone rather than for someone. Where are our heros!!!!!

Pam

I agree with Charlene and the rest of you, we have insurance through my hubbys work but the way the jobs are now you don't know if he will have work or not, If we lost our insurance I would have to let my self die, my meds are whats keeping me alive, I take 28 pills aday for my transplants, it makes me so mad that we can help out other countries but the people here can't be helped. I feel so sorry for the families with little kids that don't have insurance. I think this summer we will have to sell are big horses, right now we are just getting by buying hay for all of them and grain. My horses come first, they depend on us. I put out 500.00 dollors a month for meds and thats not counting what the insurance pays in.

Latest posts

Back