How many foals are you expecting for 2011?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How many foals are you expecting for 2011?

• Only 1

Votes: 15 18.5%
  • Less than 5

Votes: 30 37.0%
  • Between 5-10

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • Between 10-15

Votes: 6 7.4%
  • More than 15

Votes: 6 7.4%

• Total voters
We are hoping for three 2 from our new Redboy son (his first two ever so we are excited) and one from our blue boy grandson. We are in the process of buying at least one in foal so excited for that as well
default_saludando.gif
Good luck everyone.

We have 2 mares confirmed in foal to SRF Buckshot, repeat crosses that produced Max and Rusty. But after reading about the mini weanlings sold at auction and possibly going to slaughter, I kind of wish we didn't have any bred. I think the auction story just illustrates how desperate some people are to sell unwanted minis, and that the market is really saturated in some areas. I am afraid mini foals are becoming more and more like cute but unwanted puppies and kittens. Except minis won't fit in most pet shelters.

You didn't put a spot for NONE, ZERO, NADA, ZIP! All 3 of my mares must have slipped their foals from last year. Not unhappy about that one either.

We are expecting 8 next year, all bred to our 2009 AMHA World Grand Champion Senior Stallion/AMHR Top 5 (4th) senior stallion ERL Zeus Lightning Bolt. He's out with the herd and living the good life!

Some of Our mares are:

A Top Cat daughter

A Top Cat granddaughter

A BOB (Buck on Broadway) daughter

A Rhoten's Little Dandy daughter

A Rhoten's Little Dandy granddaughter, who's also the daughter of Candyland's Best Kept Secreat

A Lutes' Komo BJ (Multiple Park Harness/Viceroy AMHA/AMHR World/National Champion) daughter

A daughter of Flight of Fancy Champagne Taste - our only PINTO!!

Can't wait to see what next spring brings!

We have 2 mares confirmed in foal to SRF Buckshot, repeat crosses that produced Max and Rusty. But after reading about the mini weanlings sold at auction and possibly going to slaughter, I kind of wish we didn't have any bred. I think the auction story just illustrates how desperate some people are to sell unwanted minis, and that the market is really saturated in some areas. I am afraid mini foals are becoming more and more like cute but unwanted puppies and kittens. Except minis won't fit in most pet shelters.
I agree with this statement.There are FAR too many newbies getting a Mini foal because it is little and cute and just the size of a dog.A year later when it is not cute and cuddly anymore it ends up at some local crappy auction where anything can be sold-old lawn mowers, old furniture etc.or tied out on a chain fending for itself.I stopped breeding in 2007 and I really wish more people would stop breeding any kinds of equines for a while unless they are planning to keep it for themselves and have a long range plan in mind for the well being of the animal in case of life circumstance changes.We are such a Throw Away society even with our animals.Off my soap box for now.

Just one here, and that one wasn't intended to be. This one will be ASPC, due in late January...when the snow was deep and the fences got low, Tim the Shetland got over the fence & into the corral with Ave, one of our Shetland mares. Silly kids! Ava has been looking a little potty all summer, and I guess that's why, she's looking definitely pregnant now, so I'll be sending in a stallion report.

I've told them that this one has got to be a filly but all my filly orders lately have come out colts so I guess we will wait & see.

I'm now hoping for a very mild winter, because it's difficult to have winter babies here

We bred three of our mares this year to our appaloosa stallion Happy. They haven't been confirmed but I am pretty sure they are bred. We are planning on keeping all three of the foals for future driving horses.
default_biggrin.png

I normally go for four, but next year have NINE!

I first had four in mind. But one mare was very likely going to be sold, so I decided to breed one more. That "sold" mare turned out not to be sold, but I knew when I decided on the 5th that was a possibility and figured 5 would be ok.

Then I had bred an Arab cross to an Arab a couple years ago and she lost the foal. I decided not to re-breed as I not only lost that, but lost a mini foal to a horrible dystocia that we did manage to save the mare through, but it sure shook me up. Well, the stally owner was really looking forward to their foal so let me re-breed to him this year, so I decided to try again. And then I decided to breed another riding mare to a stallion I had been debating on breeding to for years. Figured if I"m going to have one "big" horse foal, may as well have two so they can play ;)

And then I ended up buying two mini mares in foal.

So, 7 minis and 2 "bigs" (which are really large ponies, 13.3h and 14h). Going to be busy here! I need to get some more foaling cams going!

We have one very wanted foal coming next year. One of our own foals was bought back and she is bred to Oak Bay Salsamio! He is producing some exceptional foals and thought this cross would be great!If it looks anything like Oak Bay Amigo or Oak Bay Caliente we will be very happy!
Rio%2002.jpg

Well we're down to 3 possible ones now, Max's dam must have slipped hers as she's back in heat
default_no.gif
Was bred first of July, no signs of heat in August, and was showing to Doc today.. Dang..
default_sad.png

Add me to the zero group. I'd love to have some foals again someday but the time is not now.

Fingers crossed for 3 foals. One mare is a maiden, the other is a trouble mare (difficult to keep in foal), and the last is ol' reliable.
default_smile.png
So 1 for certain, but I'm hopeful for 3.

Latest posts

Back