How many foals are u expecting???

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We are expecting 2 foals. One any day now, one the end of April.We are excited but very, very nervous. ..we are new at this Just praying all goes well.

We have 8 foals coming - first one due end of April. Last one due end of July. I get soooo jealous seeing all the southern babies being born now
default_laugh.png
but I like them to arrive and be able to go out on the grass right away and that just is not doable in Ontario at this time of year.

Six for us. Two by our Rowdy grandson and four by our Buckeroo grandson! First mare is bagging and under the cameras now!

Lucy

We're pretty sure we're only having one this year from Zee and Zoe,

near the end of June.

Pretty sure the mare we bought last year did not take, unless

she just likes flirting.
default_rolleyes.gif

We were expecting 10 total but we just sold two bred mares last week so we're down to 8 foals this year.

We just had our first '09 foal by our stallion Bonus (also his first foals) and we're hoping his next 3 foals are as nice as this one - or even better as the next three mares are much better! Bonus is a tiny grandson of both Buckeroo and L&D Scout.

Then we purchased two bred mares last fall - one bred to Triple Ks Double Your Destiny and one bred to a "Woody" son. Both of these should be dilute foals - can't wait!

We had 4 pregnant "R"-only mares but just sold two of them last week and they are already in their new home (I'm somewhat relieved to lessen the load as they were maiden mares).

Colts will definitely be offered for sale - will have to decide on fillies though LOL Last year we kept all 4 fillies to add to our program. I know hubby wants to see something move for sure! LOL

Spring is always an exciting time - wishing everyone a successful foaling season.

This question isn't meant to offend anyone, but for those of you breeding 10, 11...22(!) mares.. what do you plan to do with all the foals?

This question isn't meant to offend anyone, but for those of you breeding 10, 11...22(!) mares.. what do you plan to do with all the foals?
Not to offend you, but probably the same thing that many of those breeding 3, 4... 6 plan to do with the foals
default_smile.png

I don't understand an issue with the number as many who are breeding "larger" numbers are able to keep them until good homes are found and there are some top notch breeders out there who can breed in those numbers as there's a demand for what they put out there. There are plenty of people breeding 2-3 a year who don't do right by their horses nor make marketable breeding elections, so it's not really "fair" to try and take a shot at those who maybe are able to do it right and on larger scale.

Last edited by a moderator:
To get back to the topic
default_wink.png

At this point I'm technically down to .5 foals due that are mine this year.
default_no.gif
Lil Hills Summer Love (owned by our boarder) is bred to Spirit for a July foal so that one's not ours. Then Junie, the Roan Ranger daughter I purchased from Lucky Hart, is bred to their stallion Little Kings Buckeroo God, but that foal isn't ours either! Finally, we co-own Toffee, a Call Me Sir daughter and she is in foal to Little Kings Little Buckeroo and THAT foal will be 1/2 ours!
default_rolleyes.gif
No other foals still due in 2009 for us.

Now back to Jill's comment...I couldn't agree more! Great response Jill.

For the first time in 11 years NONE!!! unless I buy a mare infoal to an outside stallion :DOH! over winter....

Latest posts

Back