How many (and which) pinto patterns did Rowdy carry?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

targetsmom

Reaction score
We should all know by now that Rowdy was a frame overo (LWO+) which he passed on to many of his offspring, some of which were wildly colored, but many of which appear solid. But I wonder if he also hid some other pinto patterns?? Like splash? And maybe even tobiano?

I ask this because we have a lot of Rowdy blood in our herd of pinto minis and I have checked their pedigrees to see where the pinto color might have some from. Many of them dead end at solid color horses (including Rowdy). Only one (Mira) is just frame, which came from Rowdy through Cross Country Call Me Awesome. Our gelding (Cowboy), who looks tobiano and maybe frame is 3/8 Rowdy, and he appears to have gotten his color from Rowdy. Other than Cowboy's sire (who was a World Champion in multicolor), there is only one other pinto in his pedigree and that is 5 generations back. Our stallion Buckshot (LWO-) has Rowdy blood through Ramblin Starbuck. Both Buckshot and Starbuck have similar white on their faces, (strip & snip) which might indicate splash??? Buckshot's pinto color likely comes from his pinto dam, who had 2 solid parents (one being BOB, a solid black Buckeroo son).

Could Rowdy have been hiding more than one pinto pattern???

I'm pretty sure Rowdy was frame only. He had no leg white as I recall indicative of tobiano or even sabino.

I'm sure you know, but many of the horses in a pedigree are listed as solid when in actuality are minimally marked pintos of one or even multiple patterns. I have several of those in my herd. Minimal tobiano (as well as LWO) is easier to prove since you can test for it, but minimal splash or even minimal sabino (other than Sb1) may be hard to convince a registry to register a horse as anything besides solid since there is no 'proof' of the pattern gene.

There are also owners that have no clue that socks or face white including blue eyes, mean pinto!
default_smile.png

Good luck in your search, but you may have some difficulties since some of the old time pedigrees and colors were not accurately recorded on the papers.I owned an Appaloosa mare from a farm in Texas who had DAM UNKNOWN. I questioned how this could be when sire was Chianti.I was told by someone who knew the farm and breeding practices that all foals from mares running with a particular stallion were rounded up at weaning time and seperated from dams.Father known mother unknown. In other cases where multiple stallions and mare bands were in the same field on very large farms at weaning time dam was known.However in the case of solid black or bay horses it was a guessing game in some cases.thak goodness for better breeding practices and DNA.Hope you figure it out.Rowdy was an incredible looking horse.I had the good fortune to see him in the flesh in 1986 at NFC.I don't like bay horses, but he was AWESOME.

Latest posts

Back