How long when pH, Hardness, and Calicum on milk are all saying READY?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Erica

Reaction score
OK, I have always just used the Calicum; and they have always been very accurate and are this year......but I have one mare who is throwing things off. A maiden (CC), ok, she's been testing "Ready" - orange on calicum I think this is going on the 4th day tonight. So I started thinking, maybe my strips are just old (though they are working for my other mares, the ones that have foaled so far, the day of foaling all turned orange, and not before) have new strips in the mail should be here tomorrow. But today I went and got some pool test strips as well to see what they say.......

This mares milk is thick, sticky, udder is tight, not "huge" but full, but again she is a maiden so??

You guessed it, her Hardness is all the way to the right (brightest purple) and her pH all the way to the left (orange/yellow color) - just as soon as it hit the milk/water. Thought hummmm....let me test some of the others who have been testing about 1/2 way on the calicum test, did and they are, I guess where they would normally be to be about a week off, on the hardness (blue) and pH (bright pink) not even close to all the way ready.

So my question is, since I haven't been using these pH/hardness tests before, when you say "ready" on them, is it usually a 24hr? 36? 12? till foaling..........I know that will be a blanket statement, and not all mares the same, but just wondering everyone that uses them's experience.

I went and looked at wildoaks thread from a few days ago but didn't see anything too much about the pH/Hardness, just calicum.

So not sure if it will be tonight or not, but all you marestares, this is CC who is on cam (other two on cam have babies so you should be able to tell which one is her) she's testing a fast calicum ready, and a fast pH/hardness ready.....

Last edited by a moderator:
I usually go by pH and almost always when it hits 6.2 or lower it is 24 hours give or take.. however last year no 2 years ago (no foals last year) we had one test 6.2 and all 4 squares on the milk strips for over 4 days :new_shocked:

Has she waxed? I wonder if she will....do you remember her dam's foaling signs/patterns?

It will be interesting to hear if she has any sudden changes to tell foaling since the strips say she is ready. Personally, I think she is taking the extra time to make those baby blue eyes!
default_wink.png
:

I can't tell you about the strips. Used the water hardness strips some years back successfully, but after doing this so many years, I pretty much just go by udder and the milk as in thick - sticky.

She seems pretty restless to me, so maybe it will be tonight.
default_smile.png

Have you considered using the foal watch kit? Its basically the same kit the vets use. Mine said she used it in vet school. I ordered it and found it incredibly accurate with my two mares that have foaled so far. You add the milk to chemicals they provide and when the color change occurs at a certain level (calcium) foaling is immenent and my mares foaled within 12hrs. Its much more accurate than the strips (I'm told). It is made by Chemetrics and you get 20 tests for around $38.00. Their phone number is (800)356-3072.

I was amazed at the accuracy.

Wishing you a textbook delivery

I have been using the pool test strips (purchased from Wal-Mart) for three years now. When the pH drops to 6.8/6.2 and the total hardness reaches 400 most tend to foal within 8 hours, but definiately within 24 hours. I do my testing in the evening around 6pm. I learned that you need to buy a new batch at the start of every foaling season. Last year I used the strips from the previous foaling season. They had not passed the expiration date and I thought that they should still be good. I was getting false positives. So it is important to make sure you get a fresh box every season.

I have been using the pool test strips (purchased from Wal-Mart) for three years now. When the pH drops to 6.8/6.2 and the total hardness reaches 400 most tend to foal within 8 hours, but definiately within 24 hours. I do my testing in the evening around 6pm. I learned that you need to buy a new batch at the start of every foaling season. Last year I used the strips from the previous foaling season. They had not passed the expiration date and I thought that they should still be good. I was getting false positives. So it is important to make sure you get a fresh box every season.

DITTO to Karin's post!

We also use the WalMart strips and have learned to get a new bottle every year. On average the Ph test is a 12 hour indicator for us........ It can vary depending on how FAST the color changes, so watch that.

MA

Well these strips were just bought TODAY at walmart, opened today and she was tested about about 4-5 pm

she was as LOW as the color showed on the pH and as HIGH as the color went on the hardness.......left the strips at barn with the other testing stuff so don't have it down here to know what numbers they were, but thinking it was 6.2 and 400.

So we shall see if she follows suit to what everyone else has experienced and go tonight......I agree she is rather pacey and uncomfy this evening, ate all her supper and was acting normal at feeding.

And yes Becky I too tend to go on the look and feel too......but with her a maiden, she has had this THICK, KAYRO looking milk for at least a week.......udder is full, but NOT huge, plenty of milk though

I have usually had them go within 24 hours, but DID have one maiden mare go almost 5 days past... (large horse, by the way, but shouldn't make a difference..) It sounds, though, like she is going to go by tonight, tomorrow at the latest...

Good luck with her, Erica..

Suzy Hooper

Show Horses by Suzy

Fresno, CA

I've only been using the Predict A Foal strips - my mare I started the thread about went a little over 48 hours before she foaled, after testing a "fast five". Sounds like you don't have long to wait.... I keep telling myself they can't go forever LOL.

Jan

Well she had her baby about 5-6 hrs after I tested her.....see other post about CC, a LOUD overo colt :bgrin

I looked at the box again this morning, and at 4-5pm yesterday (foaled at around 10) she was 6.4 on pH and 1100 on hardness.....as soon as it touched the soultion

She was also a quick last square on the calicum tests (for 4 days :new_shocked: )

I have a question about using the pool strips. I've used the Predict a Foal strips and you had to dilute the milk with their solution. Do you do anything to the milk with the pool strips or just test it straight? Thanks.

Use 1/2 cc milk to 3cc of distilled water for the pool strips

Back