How long have you had horse for

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been "horse crazy" all my life. My bro. & sisters used to take me to the neighbors and put me on their old plow horse when I could barely sit alone. (I was sort of spoiled as they were teenagers when I came along). Then I begged and pleaded horse rides on evey occasion and from anyone that would listen (friends who lived on farms, the ponies at the carnival, even a cutting horse that belonged to one of my Dad's friends). Around age 10 my half-sister, who lived in the country, saved enough for a horse so I pleaded, took my savings, and bought one too around age 14. Back then a big horse went for $100 or so and you could pasture them for $20 a month. We showed mostly in barrel races.

When I got married I had to sell the horse and for the next 30 yrs had to settle for taking girl scouts riding and wrangling horses at scout camp and sometimes showing my sister's horses. After my kids were grown I got a QH and started showing again. Then came English lessons at age 50 for the riding/jumping trip to Ireland with my sis.

Got into minis 8 years ago when I had knee trouble. Started showing them and haven't looked back. They're so entertaining at home, at parades, at shows, and nursing homes. Love them!

I was riding before I was walking... But I got my first minis when I was 20... OMG that was 22 years ago!!
default_unsure.png

I was so smart
default_no.gif
I started out with 2 stallions. Still have one of them and will have him for as long as he is willing to hang around.
default_wub.png

Our first horse was a ott standardbred that we still have. For riding I have had several grades, gelding and mares. Lost my last big horse last year and acquired my first mini a few months later. Some well meaning friends want me to get back in the saddle but little seven has stolen my heart. I will remain mini all the way. I am 62 yo. My hubby is making noises about wanting to move into town next year because of health issues. I don't know what I will do without that little guy in my back yard. When the time comes, I will contact the local rescue for help in find him a great, not good home.

40 years....seems like forever

I ate, slept and talked horses as soon as I could talk. Got my first pony when I was 5, but my parents didn't know much so I didn't get to ride her to much. First horse at age nine. Broke and trained my first horse at age 14. Started training for other people when I was 17 and giving riding lessons.

I also helped run a 4-H club. Gave the workout riding lessons for them.

Have had Arabians, QHs, Paints, Grades, Standerbreds and helped train harness racers, and had Adopted Wild Mustangs (had 4 and what a great experience). My first mini in 1996.

Rode western and did contesting.

When I was about 10 I gave my brother my savings and he and a mate rode their pushbikes to the knackery (10 miles away) and bought this ancient bag of bones and walked her all the way home. Father exploded but soon weakened. Mum always quietly on our side.

Danny came when I was about 13, I guess, a glorious, 13 hand, golden dappled buckskin. Pony Club had started up a couple of miles away and I wanted to go. The ancient mare was not a Pony Club type of horse. Both of those ponies stayed with my parents in suburbia until they died (the ponies not my parents).

30 ish years later I got back into horses with a Part Arabian joined shortly after by a Full Arabian, then a couple of years after I discovered minis. Why did I take so long, I ask?

Now there are 23, the Arabian is still here and there are 4 donkeys.

I never part with anything, never have, never will so I will have to provide for all these critters in my will.

All told I guess that is only about 20 years....and counting.

My mom rescued a horse that she saw at a garage sale who was starving and had been abused. I was two years old. She would put me up in the saddle in front of her and we would trail ride on that mare (once she was rehabbed) for hours. My mom says I never once complained and we rode year-round even in the cold and snow. I never once had to get off to go to the bathroom no matter how long we rode. That was the beginning of my obsession with horses! I got a pony for my 4th birthday, and then my beloved QH gelding when I was 6 that I had until he passed when I was 22. I bought my first miniature in 1993. So, basically I have been around and owned horses for 35 years!
default_wub.png

Barbara

I was so smart
default_no.gif
I started out with 2 stallions. Still have one of them and will have him for as long as he is willing to hang around.
default_wub.png

This is how I started out with the minis also - 2 stallions! And I also still have one and he will be here until he passes.

I have been horse crazy for as long as I can remember - I think I own every my little pony and breyer horse that was made when I was a kid. And pretty much anything horse I had to have. We lived in town so didn't have any horses of our own but would visit cousins and other family members multiple times in the summer that had horses and a great uncle used to tell me that his big wagon horse team was mine but they werent
default_smile.png
In 2001 my husband (then boyfriend and he had a big roan QH of his own and wanted me to have one too) bought me a black qh weanling colt - he was the nicest colt but 6 months later he got sick and passed quickly (necropsy revealed he had kidney cancer and testicular cancer - they had never decended so even though he never seemed sick until the end he was a very sick horse from the beginning). We bought a 2nd QH but it was really more my husbands. And shortly after I graduated HS in 2002 I purchased a half welsh pony/half mini of my own. And our first true mini in 2003.

So I guess I have only actually owned horses for 10 years (just a newbie compared to most of you I guess).

Last edited by a moderator:
My first pony i was 4yrs old. I had a shetland pony named Little red. She was a mess loved that pony i would make her throw me in the pond. I was a mean lil kid. Poor pony
default_wink.png
Then my first horse at 11. So ive had horses/ponies for 34 yrs now. I have only had minis not even a yr. I got first one in october. I have four now.

My great grandparents first started with the minis in the 70's and then my grandparents took over in 1990 and so I have grown up with them my whole life. Now I can't live without them
default_smile.png

I got my first horse in 1976 and haven't been without one since. I've owned a Mini or two since 1992. Hope I'm never in the position to ever be without at least one.
default_smile.png

default_saludando.gif
Most of yous are so lucky all i ever wanted when i was little was a horse

mum would say what do you want for xmas i would say a horse

same for birthdays what do you want, i would say a horse

so i never got one as a child because my mum could never afford one

so now i have horses and my grand kids love them so thay will be getting one

when there a bit older.

some really great storys out there keep them coming.
default_aktion033.gif

my Mum and Dad said that as soon as I could pay for one and look after one I could have one.... I got Smartie (my stock horse) November 2009 so a little under 2 years, I have had my two minis for 4 months now LOL wouldn't trade any of my horses for anything, oh and my foal should be born somewhere in the next few weeks hehe YAY!!!
default_biggrin.png

I just got my first Mini last Friday! I have never owned a horse before in my life! He is 3 years old, about 200 pounds, and 33 inches tal! His name is Poco (Italian for "Little"). I bought him from a happy home and don't want to disappoint the lil guy! I am open to suggestions, advice and information!

My grandparents had a pony that I rode a little when I was young(maybe 5?)...bought my first horse when I was 15. Purchased my first miniatures in 1993.

I have had horses in my life for 37 years.

Kim

I've been involved with them one way or another since grade school but got my own first one in 1973- got into Minis in 1995 and am NOT saying how old I am, LOL

I was not as lucky as some of you to be born into a horsey family, but I was always horse crazy! I loved to go look at the horses at the fair, pony rides, anything I could do to get on or touch a horse. I had always wanted my own. So in 2004 I got my first pony. Sadly I only kept her for a few months. She was WAY more thsn I could handle, and no one in my family knew anything about horses. I was horseles until 2009. Then I got my first mini a little stallion ( yes a Stallion). I have 6 now, and plan to get more. Still have the stallion, but he is now a gelding. So that is my short story.
default_laugh.png
default_biggrin.png
default_rolleyes.gif

I am like Heather. I will not be telling how old I am.
default_biggrin.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I got my first pony, Princess, when I was 3. I was born in 1978. I got my first arabian, Pasos Flame, a week before my 13th birthday who I sadly had to euthanize when she was 19 in 2003. My first mini was a rescue, not registered in 2003. I still have him, he is my one and only gelding. In 2004 I got my first registered mini. To believe in 2006 I only have 2 arabians and 4 minis and now I am up to 2, soon to be 3 arabians as my mare is in foal, due anytime and 23 minis(2 are sale pending). I have owned probably close to 100 horses in my 29 years of horse ownership.

I grew up a city girl and dreamed of having horses... Every year for my birthday and Christmas I asked for a horse... I have a great Bryer's collection
default_smile.png

When I was 25 I purchased Julie AKA "Bean" She was my dream come true... Lived to 38

Had lots of fun at playdays and on the trail.

Lynda

Got my first horse (a shetland) when I was 2. Have had horse's ever since then.
default_yes.gif
Raised Quarter Horse's and Paint's. Got started with the mini's
default_wub.png
in 2006. Hadn't really ridden since1996 when I was involved in an accident,
default_sad.png
but could never let my horse's go. Still have 1 Quarter horse that is broke to ride and drive she will be with me until either she die's or I do. Long story short she is the only one that survived a mountain lion attack which then lead to an 18 wheeler involvement back in 2005.

So I have had horse's for 47+ year's. The most wonderful time's in my life have been with my horse's!!!!!
default_wub.png
:wub

My first horse was a retired former show American Saddlebred mare given to me as a birthday present back in 1963. From there it has been a lifetime of love for equine of all types and sizes. In 1974, I obtained a little Raffles bred half Arab as a weanling who I had the pleasure of personally training and then showing for many years in many different disciplines (western, saddleseat, huntseat, native costume, trail, reining,). The high light of his career was winning top ten (3rd) at the Nationals in Louisville. When he was in his late 20s we lost him to cancer. I cannot imagine living life without horses.

flash.jpg

Latest posts

Back