How long can my STUBBORN mare hold out?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gracie

Reaction score
Ok shes 241 days preggo, For last 2 months she doesnt lay down EVER. last night at 11:45 I looke dat the tv and she was down and flinging her head about so I went out by time I got there she was up she spent ALL night whippin her tail up and down * NOT side to side* and trying to kick he rbelly and biting her sides,

About 3 a,m she laid down again rolled then got up and continued to do the tail and biting thing as well she ATE ALL NIGHT,

Usually in her stall from 12 till 6 am she stands in her fav corner dozing and doesnt move a whole lot, I have been up all night and she did the tail and biting and kicking the entire night, Now she sin he rpaddock and acting like nothing , no tail, no kicking, nothing, is that normal? My books all say once she does those things the max would be 24 hours till birth,

I;m dieing here i truly need sleep.

I'm sorry that you are so exhausted.
default_sad.png
Been there, done that (and will again). These darn mares, I swear they work hard at keeping us guessing. Do you have anyone who can watch her for an hour or two so you can take a nap? She does sound like she's close, but I've also had mares act like that for days, sigh.... And yes, it is normal for her to have settled down for a while; there are times you are just positive the mare is going to lie right down and push that foal out, then she'll quit completely.

This is why I love the Equipage system so much, I can fall asleep and know that when she does lie flat out, it will wake me up. I've never missed a foaling with a mare wearing the Equipage.

I'm hoping she foals soon so you can get some rest!!
default_yes.gif

oh dear you just banished any hope I had that it would be over by midnight tonight, lol

Sadly my hubby who would normally be here today is on a filming shoot so NO Im all alone and up till its over i guess, lol

It COULD be over at any time today! Or it may be days. (yikes, I know you didn't want to hear that!)

What does her milk look like? And the inside of her vulva? Are her teats filled in and pointing straight down? I wish there were something I could do to help, I know how frustrating it can be.

I think you're getting close! Hang in there! I've got a couple of mares that do the "fake you out" thing about 2 days before they foal. I think their getting the foal into position. I'll usually have a night when I'm up all night "sure they're going to foal" and then I get a "nothing" night and the next night they foal. However.....every mare is different!!! Good luck! Maybe you can get a neighbor to watch the moniter so you can catch a nap today??

Latest posts

Back