How hard is it to learn HMTL code to create or maintain a website?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whitestar

Reaction score
I have been asked to help to maintain a non profits website because I have created & maintained websites before. But they were using non coded websites, such as homestead. I liked using homestead because once created, it was easy for me to turn it over to another person to maintain, even those without prior experience in websites & they could learn with easy instructions from me or homestead. ( such as changing out pets on a weekly basis in the shelter, or updating the upcoming events. I have been asked to help with a website from another non profit, no pay, dont mind that, but the current website is in code. I have no experience in using code & would have to learn it to do the updates needed. Anyone still creating websites in code? if so, how hard was it to learn if you didnt know beforehand, any suggestions for books or instructional DVDs? I have seen HMTL for Dummies, & windows makes an instructional book-dvd also. Would like opinions because I do want to do this for them.

Also what is the advantage of using code? Is there more security in it? If there is no advantage to it over using a product like homestead which has all the bells & whistles that I have seen in websites anywhere, perhaps I can talk them into starting over with a non coded website to make it easier to do updates by us non coded peeps. So what is ya'lls experience? Want to know what I am talking about before I suggest a non coded version.

Thanks so much

Debbie

I don't really get it either but I go to youtube tutorials to learn a lot of stuff

Try this:

I would agree with using non-code style website builders. Although it is nice to know code (my website builder has a "split screen" function so I can type in the HTML and see the design reflected, and visa-versa) I don't think it's necessary.

If you do learn code, it's not REALLY that hard, the trick is having all the cheat-sheets to know what is what!

Andrea

First: ALL websites are built on some time of code. You can either write the code directly or use a program that will "shield" you from it. But in the end, it's ALL code. HTML, DHMTL, Java, Javascript, Perl, RoR, CGI, Python... it's ALL code. HTML was just the first and the most simple.
default_smile.png

The advantage to writing in code is editors often do stupid things you don't want (or need) them to do. Being able to manipulate raw code allows you absolute control over things. It's always interesting to see what even sophisticated programs like DreamWeaver will assume and do in "WYSIWYG" mode.

Since you're taking over an existing website, can you be more specific about what the website currently does? Are you sure it's written JUST in HTML?

Back