How does she look to you? (pregnant mare)

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Little Wolf Ranch

Reaction score
She should be due for an April foal - she was bred on her foal heat after she had foaled on March 28th 2011....

She has been testing in the 7.2ph range with the Foal Time strips however her milk has started to turn a bit more opaque, she isn't carrying nearly as high as she has been and seems to be narrowing from the hind. Her bag was small last night but her teats were full and easy to express and her udder was slightly hard even after exercise and turnout time.

Does she look to be on the right track for foaling April/May?

I'm super excited about this foal - my one and only this year and its a cross that I've repeated for a third time. First was a 2010 sorrel loud tobiano + splash overo with blue eyes filly (DOA to red bag) and the second was a 2011 sorrel minimal tobiano with chrome colt. I would love a loudly marked filly but I will take what I can get. Either way he or she is a keeper so we shall see what we get!

**Please excuse the unflattering pics - it was late last night, they were taken with my cell phone and she had just made herself all nice and dirty while she had turnout time.**

missy3_04172012.jpg

missy_04172012.jpg

missy2_04172012.jpg

She is looking very good but not quite ready, in the pic taken from behind it seems that the foal isn't in position yet, can you take a pic of her udder from behind? (just lift her tail) Thanks and I am sending prayers for a safe and easy foaling

If you gave the correct dates, she should have been due in early March. If bred on her foal heat, that would/should put it to before mid-April. 11 months after that as her new foaling date would bring her to mid March. Where do the April/May dates come in? Was she bred on more than one cycle maybe, making her dates different?

I will get new pictures tonight when I get home.....

Yes it is possible that she is due later as I hand bred her on her foal heat and then turned her out to pasture all summer with the stallion she was bred to. She does tend to carry her foals a bit later, in the 340 to 350 day range too which is why I assumed her to foal in April. She is a flirt with the stallions but I never saw her come into heat again, but its not impossible for her to have been bred on the next cycle.

Would you say that you believe her to foal before June? She never carries low so I was presuming that since she is starting to get much lower that she's gettting closer to foaling, not to mention her bag being slightly hard after turnout and her teats being full.

Back