how do you handle colds?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjnov

Reaction score
I have a stallion who gets sick VERY easily. The first really cold, cold front came threw a few days ago, and now he is sick, with snots, and coughing some. Just some background details, he was attacked by dogs as a yearling, and then while healing his false nostrils collapsed, had surgery, threw his bite off, and he snores 24/7(he at times has to breathe threw his mouth, especially while eating). So this is why he gets sick easily. Im determined to not use a vet as I was a vet tech for 3 years, small and large, and was curious as to what you all use to deal with cold. I plan on giving him Penicillian once a day.

Being a vet tech you probably already know that if what your little guy has is a Virus, all you can do is treat the symptoms to help him feel better.........Antibiotics won't do diddleesquat.

For the coughing, we use human Robitusin syrup....the plain stuff just for coughs alone. For an adult mini they get an adult dose.

If we feel one of our horses is having immunity problems for whatever reason, we give them Lixitonic for a boost. Red Cell is okay, but I like Lixitonic (sp) a little better.

MA

Keep him rugged through the winter?
he has a blanket, but its too hot here to keep on him 24/7. It gets in the 80's during the day, and last night was VERY hot and humid, so is today. We have a cold front coming in Friday night, so he will be blanketed then.

Being a vet tech you probably already know that if what your little guy has is a Virus, all you can do is treat the symptoms to help him feel better.........Antibiotics won't do diddleesquat.

For the coughing, we use human Robitusin syrup....the plain stuff just for coughs alone. For an adult mini they get an adult dose.

If we feel one of our horses is having immunity problems for whatever reason, we give them Lixitonic for a boost. Red Cell is okay, but I like Lixitonic (sp) a little better.

MA
I have never heard of Lixitonic, where can you get it at?

You can find Lixitonic at most well stocked ranch supply stores........usually in the same area as the Red Cell.

I've also seen it in the catalogs. I know that Valley Vet Supply sells it.

MA

I have been following this post because I have 5 month old colt that has off and on snot in one nostril and a bit of a dry cough. We are having hot days and very cool nights, so I assume the weather change has something to do with it. Also, with the changes very high winds and before we finally got some rain LOTS of dust in the air. I have been monitering him very close and putting him in the barn at night. My memory is non existant, but I am thinking my vet said that its best if they can build up their own immunes and only treat with antibotics if you have to.

Would the Robitusion and lixitonic, be ok for a foal?

Obviously, I'm not a vet, but we have given foals lixitonic and Robitusin without a problem. You just have to adjust the dosage accordingly. And off the top of my head, I don't remember dosages. I'd have to go look at the bottles.

MA

I can only say what my vet has had me do for mine....I had the little 4 month old colt that died from pneumonia....which started out as a cough...just a virus. I still have three little ones on these drugs......lasix to help with fluid and trebutaline (I'm not sure that I spelled that right...but it is a bronchodialator) to help keep passages open. I was told...as was stated earlier....not to give antibiotics because you will create resistant bacteria. I was to give antibiotics only if they spiked a fever over 102....this was for the foals...so perhaps a temp a bit lower would pertain to mature animals. Our vet did tell me that I may have to keep these foals on the lasix and trebutaline for up to a month. It sure is exhausting to have a sick kid!!!!

Becky

Latest posts

Back