How do you get started?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bonny

past member - Someone just shoot me!
Reaction score
I was wondering about getting started in local shows. I have a little girl that would like to show Bonny, course she is un registered. So this would be just for fun, and I have no clue where to find local shows and even how to begin.

Any suggestions?

I would suggest asking at your local feed store, they may know of Open Shows in your area. Some feedstores sponsor local clubs and may know.

Once you pin down a club that hosts open-to-all-breed shows, join and then go to a show to check it out. Talk to exhibitors that are sitting around (if they are busy getting ready for a class they just might not have time) and ask whatever questions you might have.

Have fun!

Andrea

My first shows were at our county fair, which i still do as i just love showing off the miniatures and shetlands to 'non mini people'. You can pick up a fair book at your local fairgrounds and go from there. Look for "smaller" miniature farms in your area too that do more on the local level, they could probably hook you up with a club or local shows they know of. I still love going to our fair as the enviroment is so relaxed and exciting, even though the competition is not at all what you get at amhr/aspc shows, its a great opp. to educate and show people the breed.

Fairs generally always have something. I know all ours do. I would also maybe find some of the bigger fair barns and see if they have a schedule. We have a barn about an hour south that's owned by the county. They put on monthly shows all the time.

Also, contact the sec. of the Texas mini club. They may know of open shows or places to start looking.

Where in Texas are you located. I may be able to point you in the right direction.

Also I notice in your profile that you and I share a birthdate. Well, at least the month and day.
default_rolleyes.gif

There is an organization up here called WSCA - they have both halter open shows and games open shows. Anyone can participate.

Also check out your local 4H club.

Do a google search and look for area arenas, then call and ask about open shows.

good luck - have fun!

Thanks Yall, I will be looking into it!
default_smile.png

Al, I googled Cypress and we are practically neighbors LOL!

I sent you a pm.

I am not sure what Bonny can do, and I am also looking into getting her saddle broke this year. She rides kids bareback with a halter already, as long as I lead. She has already done 1 birthday party and was relatively un fazed by the commotion of 25small children, balloons and all.

I would love to know what she would show well in. I just have no idea what to do to start.

If you have any interest in driving, don't overlook local driving clubs. They won't care if your horses are registered. Plus they are usually looking for volunteers at their activities, which is a great way to learn!

See if you can find other mini owners in your area with the same interest. We contacted a local show manager and asked her to add some mini classes, which she did as long as we could guarantee 3 entries. We pretty much made up the rules (i.e. any mini under 38" registered or not, measuring not required unless questionable) and sent her show rules from one of the registries. The judge, who had never judged minis before, seemed to have as much fun as anyone!

That does sound like fun. However I guess I should be looking for pony shows? I keep forgetting Bonny really isnt a mini. She is 39-40 tall.
default_unsure.png

Do you have County Fairs? Here in Kentucky you can go to more than a dozen county fairs if you want to. Ocassionally we take our weaners to one or two to get them use to the show ring........... Few years back we sold several horses to some people who didn't know a thing about showing. We went with them to the county fairs, showed them what to do, coached them along the way & they have really enjoyed it. Of course before that we had to show them how to properly feed, groom, clip and get them show ready... The family has reaped the benefits of getting several end of year high point awards in our club & we have become great friends. Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
If it is a child that is wanting to show Bonny, I think the best place for shows is 4-H! Up here they have tons of showing opportunities, as well as other educational activities. If you contact your county extension office they can help you out. Any horse can participate. It is a terrific program!!!

That may very well be where she needs to start. How young can kids start 4 H?

Is there anything in particular Bonny should know?

4th grade is usually when they start 4h there is also a pre 4h program for 3rd graders and they can do some things but do not place they are all given a ribbon. Regardless, she can still be shown by the little girl at the fair durring the open shows. They ALWAYS have a younger age divisions we have three divisions 19 and up, 18-13 and then 12 and under. We also have some classes that add the 6 to 10 age class and 2-5. You just have to get your fairs premium book and look up the rules and classes they offer they will have the age limits in there.

What she needs to know all depends on what you plan on showing her in and if she has ever been shown before. If it is a young child who is new around horses and this is your Bonny's first show I might just keep it simple and do a few halter classes to see how it goes where the child doesnt have to actually ride her. If you want her to do lead line classes you will need to have her get used to a saddle. You should also take her to a few shows to get used to that type of environment. Its a whole different ball game when there are hundreds of horses, loud speakers, bands, and bright colored everythings all over the place at a county fair so it is something you need to work on.

Back