How do you do it?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frankie

Reaction score
I am just curious as to those who work full time, have kids at home,,,,,,,,how do you get your horses the best they can be, to show?

What is your schedule like? Daily?

I have shown for 4 years now, but, my show horse was always with a trainer. Have one there now. But, I have never felt I could get the horse I want to show, that are at my place, in good enough shape. Or get them worked with enough.

I have 2 at home I want to show, am working with them some. But still feel the same as before, I don't think it's enough.

So, how do you do it????

[SIZE=14pt]In those days my daughter Katie did all the working of the horses... we clipped together but, I was on a beeper also with my job as a home care nursing supervisor so sometime I would have to just pack up and go. Katie did the exercising, Amy and Katie and even Jason some of the time did the feeding and mucking out. We had 4-6 show horses plus 4 show dogs that required work. We have had horses before we had kids, Big horses, 3 arabians, When my son was only 6 he started doing chores with me in the barn and by 8 he could put horses in and out and feed by himself! He is 27 now and has no interest in horses but his sisters still do. My husband only built and repaired etc. The animal work belonged to us. Now Im a stay at home granny with an almost 2 year old to watch, 9 horses, 3 of them show horses, 3 mares due to foal in the next 3 motnhs, 6 dachshunds to go in and out and 2 Corgis......and a partridge in a pear tree. All of that I do myself now with only 25% vision. I just take my time. I was just blessed I guess.[/SIZE]

Lyn

Get up in the morning EARLY go out and feed and turn out. Come in make breakfast and lunch for everyone, get the kid on the bus and hubby off to work. Head to work myself. Get home, bring the horses in and feed and put dinner on for us. Back out to the barn to groom and train a little. Back in to eat dinner. Back out to the barn and exercise horses in shifts of mares & stallions in age groups. I run them loose in a small field for 20 minutes each. Back in to tuck the little one in bed and read a story. Back out to the barn to work some more with the horses. Fall in bed tuckered right out around 11:30 after checking on the forum! Thank goodness for winter and the end of show season! :lol:

[SIZE=14pt]No longer working but here is an idea of my schedule. Up around 630. Dogs out, breakfast, check forum. Robby arrives at 8, fix his breakfast, give his papa (grandpa) breakfast and send him off to work. play with Robby, 930 put Robby for a nap, make the bed, get officially dressed for the day, out to feed horses. 1030 check forum again, bring dogs in, get dinner stuff together. Robby up at 11. read, play leggos, outside time for him if its not raining and put horses out. 1230 Robbys lunch and a load of wash. Story time again, clean up kitchen and Robby, 2 back for nap #2 for Robby and my lunch time, switch horses, check forum.3 Robby up, outside weather permitting. Robby in Round pen work with horses out in yard practicing for halter. 430 Robby leaves, dogs out again, get buckets ready for evening feeding, inside starting dinner, Barry home around 630-7 lately. Dishes, out to put horses back in and feed. 11 last rounds check the mares and make sure everyone is cozy, Bed![/SIZE]

Hectic even if your NOT working full time!

Lyn

[SIZE=12pt]You guys need to take a bow. I'm tired just reading that![/SIZE]

I've been trying my best to figure out if I have the time and I think this thread just helped me out!

I hope you all get some rest from time to time! lol

Liz

For the first time in forever, Indiana has sprung forward, time wise. And I do believe that is going to help me some, will stay light longer. In the morning is feeding and cleaning, and lights work well for that.

Hard part is the 13 year old who is involved in so much, and need to get him to this activity and that one, and those activities are at certain times. So have to stop, and start over again here at home. At go to work for 9 hours in the midst of it all.

Latest posts

Back