How do you clean cart tires so they look new

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shandoaharabmini

Reaction score
Hi. My show cart tires are around 15 years old and I just can't get them real clean anymore. There are no cracks and I always keep them covered when they are not being used. I have used soap and water plus a brush but they still have clay like fine bits of dirt imbedded into the sides of the tires. A few times I have used a tire foam cleaner which made the rubber dark black again but it left a film on the tires which made the dirt stick to the tires even more. Does anyone have ideas on how I can get my show cart tires clean and looking new again?

I have another show cart that had been in storage for 5 years. When I taken the cover off I noticed the tire rims have very small rust spots. Luckily, these spots can't be seen unless I'm kneeling beside them. Does anyone know what I can do to get the rust off and return them to the original finish? Thank you very much for your comments.

Shandoaharabmini

I got a product at the auto parts store. It is cotton wadding in a can that can do an amazing job of cleaning metal. Can't remember the name of it at the moment but I can check next time I go to the barn.

But, my cart wheels wouldn't clean up sparkly any more after 7 years so I had them powder coated. It was cheaper than buying new wheels. I had them done in a shiney black and they look better than the aluminum color they were.

My local bicycle place said to use Coca Cola on the rust spots. Said it eats the rust right off!
default_new_shocked.gif

Leia

I had some folks at the Oregon State Fair tell me that Coke and Pepsi are great for removing hoof polish...also scary. I've yet to try it on hooves, as I don't drink the stuff.

I got a product at the auto parts store. It is cotton wadding in a can that can do an amazing job of cleaning metal. Can't remember the name of it at the moment but I can check next time I go to the barn.
I bet that product is Nevr-Dull! Nevr-Dull is FANTASTIC! A can of Nevr-Dull lasts FOREVER (when kept in the house). It is terrific for taking rust spots off of most metals AND terrific for polishing silver or "silver" metals on tack (especially the fancy silver trim on Western show saddles and tack).

I bet that product is Nevr-Dull! Nevr-Dull is FANTASTIC! A can of Nevr-Dull lasts FOREVER (when kept in the house). It is terrific for taking rust spots off of most metals AND terrific for polishing silver or "silver" metals on tack (especially the fancy silver trim on Western show saddles and tack).

I agree with the nevr-dull-great stuff for most metals. Semi-Chrome polish works well to.Use an old sock for applying. For the tires, use care many commercial tire products have a shine to them and work like tanning lotion ,the sun can actually dry them out. Store flat not sitting on the rims if possible. I use a dawn dishwashing liquid on tires,good brush and clean well. Then a non drying type tire treatment. Most motorcycle shops have all these things! Hope this helps a little.

Latest posts

Back