how big are your stalls?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjnov

Reaction score
Well, while we are building our house, Im starting to get on the roll with the barn plans. I was wondering how big are your stalls both regular and foaling. Also if you have any run in sheds in the pasture, how big did you make yours?

I dont have stalls just run ins. HOwever we do have a few foaling stalls. They are 8X16. We also have a few smaller ones but not sure of the size. WE can cut the foaling ones down to 8x8 if need be but I dont like that small of a area. I like the 8x 16 for foaling, and it also works well for putting my horses in at night for shows. I can put 2 or 3(depending on the horse) in there with out a problem.

We had big horses so we have 2 stalls that are 12 x 12 and that's really roomy for minis. They'd be big enough for foaling stalls for minis. Then we put in two 8 x 8' --that's a bit small. Big enough if they are only there for nights but if you get bad weather and want to keep them inside it's tight for our filly which is nearly 32" at only 2 yr old. She churns up that area so badly that we almost have to strip the stall and start over each day.

My choice would be to have 10 x 10 or 8 x10 just to give them more room to pooh and turn around without having to do it in the same place!

We bought "pre-made" run in sheds and with the thought of "we might not be here forever", we bought ones big enough for large horses to use. I think it's 10 x 24 and then we split it with fencing so each side of the run-in has it's own dry lot.

Many people have smaller and love them but for me my 10x10 stalls are as small as I would opt to go. My foaling stalls are 16x16 with attached pens

I am going through the same thing with building new barns. However, if you do a search on the forum for stalls, there has been some really neat threads that have been discussed before. Many have lots of pics and barns to die for.

I have tried 12 X 12's left over from the big horses but that was a bit much

Then we tried 8 X 8 and that was just not enough!

Finally, we went with 10 X 10's and they are perfect! Plenty of room especially when they have to hold up in the barn for a couple of days due to bad weather conditions. Everyone is happy

For foaling, I can remove the wall and make it into a 10 X 20......all our walls are removable. But so far it has not been necessary

Check out my page on Diary of a Barn for a closer look

One thing you need to consider is IF you should ever have to sell your place, is the next owner going to be able to use specifically built mini-sized stalls? So what I did (plus I also have big horses, and ONE really big one!) was build a pole building that is grid style (rather than clear span) with posts set 12x12 feet apart. So my barn is 36x36. On one side I left the stalls 12x 12, and on the other side I took 2 of the 12x12's and divided them into three 8x12. This works great for the minis, but in the event that I leave or for some reason don't have minis, I have the structure there to easily take out one wall, move another and quickly get back to the 12x12 size.

Hope that helps!

Jayne

Jayne makes an excellent point; thinking ahead to versatility of application is a VERY good idea! Nowadays, I'd say that 12'X12' is a 'minimum' for stalls for 'bigs'; would suggest thinking in multiples of 12', as others have also mentioned.

My stalls were built for 'bigs',and are nominally 12' square; and I'm glad they are that size. I agree with Marty; I would not want any stalls smaller than 10' x 10', larger if at all possible for foaling. If I had it to do over, I would plan easily moveable/removable dividing walls, for more versatile application.

My horses are seldom shut into their stalls(they all have attached outdoor runs, which I would also HIGHLY recommend, if possible.) IMO, the more often/longer your horses may need to be shut into stalls, the more need for roomier stalls! It makes me uncomfortable when I see mention of 'stalls' that are only 5' X 5' (or even 6' x 6'-truly, I don't really even like the idea of 8' X 8' )-ESPECIALLY if there are no attached runs that the horse can access freely, most if not all of the time. JMHO.

Margo

All of my stalls are 8 X 8 and I have absolutely no problem with them from foaling to the show horses. My horses are all 34" and under, so if they were taller and bigger, larger stalls would be necessary.
default_smile.png

I find the show horses have plenty of room and I have no trouble foaling out mares from 28" - 34" in the 8 X 8 stalls in my mare barn.

Thank you for everybodies stall sizes. We are planning on a 50'x24' barn. I really only plan to use the stalls is if I have bad weather, foaling, somebody needs to be seperated(medical), etc. But they will mainly be outside, and we do plan on building a few run-ins. I only have 4 minis right now, and have a 1/2 acre fenced off for now, as we would like to concentrate more on the house, since Im expecting in Aug., we hope to have the house done by Thanksgiving, but where I keep my minis at(my friends) they are moving to S.C. soon, and we will have to move them out there within a month or so. The barn will be built after the house, but we are getting feelers out there as to how I want the barn, since the horse thing is mine, he is just the builder/helper.

l like them 10x10 but prefer them 12x12 for foaling. We do once in a while overnight some T/B's in the 12x12s and they do fine in there so if we change anything in the future l'd go with them...none of ours are stalled unless for foaling or if there sick. We have 1 stall 8x6 but thats way to small so use it to hold the garabage cans and brooms..

Mine are 16 by 16. I LOVE that size. I don't keep minis singly (unless I had a reason to of course), so it's great to have a pair in. I"ve even had 3 in that size for a little bit and it seemed big enough, though I prefer to keep it to 2.

Jessi

sixteen stalls, 10x 10, eight of them have outside runs, four can be converted to 10 x 20(when finished) for foaling or as needed. works very well for us. Michael

We have 18 stalls in the barn...Show horses at one end and breeding herd at the other. 8'x8' and have never had a problem with that. That said, our stalls are open to the floor on one or two sides and the ones on outside wills all have windows over them. Ventilation was a primary concern for us when we built this barn...and also that the horses could all see other horses to reduce boredom.

There are also 3 8'x16' run in sheds that can be divided into 8'x8' stalls if needed.

We prefer the smaller minis, but have 2 mares that are 33 3/4" and 34" and they foal in the stalls without problems.

I would rather plan a barn than a house!
default_yes.gif
:

Charlotte

We have 18 stalls in the barn...Show horses at one end and breeding herd at the other. 8'x8' and have never had a problem with that. That said, our stalls are open to the floor on one or two sides and the ones on outside wills all have windows over them. Ventilation was a primary concern for us when we built this barn...and also that the horses could all see other horses to reduce boredom.

There are also 3 8'x16' run in sheds that can be divided into 8'x8' stalls if needed.

We prefer the smaller minis, but have 2 mares that are 33 3/4" and 34" and they foal in the stalls without problems.

I would rather plan a barn than a house!
default_yes.gif
:

Charlotte
Id rather a barn too, we do plan to at least have one window per stall, so your taller mares have no problem foaling in 8x8? I only have one tall mare at this time, she is between 33-34". All of the others are around 28"-30"

Latest posts

Back