How and when do you all name your foals?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crystalbank

Reaction score
I'm intreagued to know how you all choose names for your little ones and when you name them.

My prefix, Crystalbank comes from the fact that I love healing crystals. I then choose a crystal for the year and after that, just a simple word or name. For Instance last year I used the crystal Danubrite and named my foal Crystalbank Danubrite Ballerina......Ballet for short.

I always worry about naming the foal to early so I generally wait a week or so before naming. I also think this gives me time to check out his or her personality
default_smile.png

So, how do you all choose your names?

We always use our prefix, or initials if the name is too long. I like to use parts of the parents names when possible, or at least part of one of their names. I have a LONG list of names saved for future use. I "own" my farm prefix in both registries, and the suffix "Perfection" with AMHR. I love day dreaming over foal names
default_biggrin.png
These are the names we've used so far, and the parents' names:

2009:

WFM's Echos of Sweet Perfection ("Piper", Erica's Echos of My Destiny (HOF) x Erica's Sweet as Sugar)

2 more foals anticipated -- I have names that are strong front runners with me for these babies!

2008:

Whinny For Me's Dun Buckin Around ("Ducky", Erica's Gone and DunIT x Harrells Rowdys Reflection of Hope)

Whinny For Me's Passionately Dun ("Passion", Erica's Gone and DunIT x Edgewood Skip To My Lou)

Whinny For Me's Big City Cover Girl ("Cover Girl", Little Kings Big City Buck x Erica's Double Dipped)

2003:

Whinny For Me's Skippin Miracle ("Skipper", Triple H Derby Day Miracle x Edgewood Skip To My Lou)

I have named a few mini foals. I try to use something from the parents name but not all. Some examples I had used or thought of are:

Unquestionably Cute Jypsy Rose SPH(Komokos Dock Adam + Sharptails Peanut Butter). When I saw this filly she was so unquestionably cute and the name stuck. LOL

Kute Lil Kasper SPH(FFS Charles Blanket + Lanesfield Karli). I wanted his name to start with a K. He was never registered.

SPH Knockouts' Canadian Design(Coyote Winds Knockout + E & J's Precious By Design). He was my first homebred. I took Knockout from his sire and Design from his dam. He was born in Canada thus the canadian part. He is still a stallion and doesn't live to far from me. They call him Jasper for a barn name.

Shenanigans At Sunrise SPH(Wolfridge Aramid + Benviews Special Dawn). She was born on April Fools Day thus the Shenanigans part and her dam is Dawn so added Sunrise. Barn name is Annie. I just sold her on Sunday.

SPH Bookers Blinker Bandit(Goat Hills One For The Books + Minni Spark Black Blinker No5). I took Booker from his sire as that is his sires barn name. I took Blinker from his dam and added Bandit. Sadly he died at a week old.

SPH Knockouts' Ohso Wonderful(Coyote Winds Knockout + Cherokee Stables Ohso Dandy). Knockout from her sire, Ohso from her dam and Wonderful as I lost her sire and this was his last foal and her dam had aborted two years in a row on me at 6 months gestation and I was lucky to get a filly from this cross. She is a keeper.

SPH Bookers Just A Tad Bad(Goat Hills One For The Books + Sharptails Peanut Butter). Booker from his sire and he was a tad bad when he was born, the name stuck. He has been sold.

SPH Bookers Lil Miss Mysterious Mia(Goat Hills One For The Books + Leaning Pines Harlequin Romance). Booker again from her sire and a harlequin book I was reading had a lady in it named Mia who was mysterious. Thus her name. She has been sold.

Forever Frosted Fever SPH(Iles Spotted Fever + Benview Christina). Fever from her sire and the rest as I knew she would have been a appy as she had frosting on her. Sadly she died at 5 months old.

We use our Prefix then use the The first word in out 2 stalions names Filipowicz Just In Time , Filipowicz That's All Foulks, These two stallions foals know matter what name we choose will start with Filipowicz Just or That's Our other stallion Mack The Knife his get have Mack in the name.If we bred to outside stallions I ask the owner if we can use part of there name, or stallions in the foals name. This lets us know which foal come from what stallion. Sometimes we have the mares name work in to the name.

We own our prefix, Nixons Hill and then try to incorporate initials of the dam and part of the sire into the name.

Nixons Hill Dazzlin Montezuma (Monty) -(Sire Timber Ridges Dazzle and dam Spotted Acres Komo Mitzie

When we name ours (or I should say I since I seldom have help with names) they always start with FRH for Foys Rolling Hills and then --if they were born and bred here-the name Fancy followed by something mostly simple. Many times the last part of the name will come from when they were born or their Dam's name. Last year--FRH Fancy April was born in April and the first for the year. FRH Fancy Nestle has sisters named Hershey and Candy. FRH FANCY Quake was born the morning of the earth quake, FRH Fancy Shanna was born to Lannah, FRH Fancy Ghost Buster was born to Ghost and FHR Fancy Spell Weaver was born to Anastasia and has a brother Spell Binder. I have a whole line of Dancers that were born to Private Dancer. We still have Shadow Dancer, Silver Dancer, Moonlite Dancer and Ghost Dancer.

I will never name a little one before it is at least one week old. It seems to jinx me and something happens to the foal. I have waited as long as 4 months to come up with the perfect name. Sometimes the perfect name never does come into my head and I just pull a name out the day I send in the paperwork. I will never forget the year I had already named 10 or 12 and got no imput from anyone else. I warned the day before I mailed paperwork that if someone didn't give me a name for the little guy, I was going to call him "George". Well, George has gone on to be a certified therapy horse and if anything ever happens to him, the lady that owns him will be just devestated. :)

Like the others who've posted, I use my reg. prefix Reignmaker, followed by what ever name I choose. I have pages full of possibilities but so far have always created a name using the name of the Sire, dam or both along with something pertaining to that individual foal. In 2008 I had only 2 foals from 1/2 sister mares who are daughters of Scott Creek Dynamite and out of a Komokos Toy Boy grandson (who also carries the Toy Boy name) The first born was a filly who I called Reignmakers Playing with Dynamite (Dyna) and the second was a colt that I named Reignmakers Hylee Explosive (Nitro) Sometimes names come to me quickly and the foal almost names themself and sometimes it is a bit of a struggle to settle on a name I am pleased with, if I have too much trouble I can resort ot my 'master list' and choose something from there. I am happy to name a foal on the first day if I 'find' the name then or much later if necessary, I am not at all superstitious about the timing.

Well our Stallion's name is Bocephus.

So all his foals will be named after Hank Jr. songs.

Of course with our Prefix Whimsicals.

Our prefix is Circle J, and in recent years (well, for the last 14!) we have started naming all foals from one year by a letter of the alphabet ... makes it easy to remember how old they are, all the G's are 7 this year, for example! In 2008 we had Madonna, Maverick, Mighty Mouse, Man in Black, Morning Glory, Miikka, Maid of Gold, Maximillion, Made to Dance & Marigold.

In 2009 they have to start with N ... this could be a challenge.
default_wacko.png

We used to try to put a Z in the names of all foals by our stallion Valdez. Hence the strange spellings that occured like Alberta Springz, Dezigner Genes, etc. but we've kind of given up in recent years.

As each foal is born we write their dam, sire, date they were born, filly/colt, and colour on the blackboard in our little arena. Then everybody writes their suggestions underneath (family, 4Hers, visitors), and we "discuss" the options. Sometimes the name is decided on soon after their born, other times it's when we are getting ready to mail the registration applications and just have to decide!!

For some reason, my foals usually tell me what their name is at birth.
default_laugh.png

That being said, some take a while to come up with a name. When using my stallion Windchser, all of his foals have Wind in their name. My stallion Desperado, I try to use cowboy and cowgirl names. All of my horses have my prefix in their name. The other 3 stallions, they are out of famous sires, so I use their sires name in their name.

Thank god we have lots of letters to play with!!
default_smile.png

Well we of course start with our prefix (O Henrys).THEN, to help us with the rest, ALL of our foals names begin with th same letter as their dam's name. I think this started with my great grandparents when they had around 100 or so horses so it helped them keep track of bloodlines and etc...we dont have that many, but its just something that's always stuck. We do stray from our rule sometimes when a certain name just FITS. And sometimes we name a foal after the sire-or a name that correlates to the dam or sire's name.

Examples:

ARC Vicki-(ARC Vanna, ARC Vanessa, Mars Vavoom, Mars Valiant, Mars Veronica, O Henrys Viking, O Henrys Victorias Secret, and then Mars Tinkerbelle who definitely doesn't fit
default_smile.png
Sometimes names just jump out at us and we have to forget our rules)

Precious-(O Henry Paco, O Henrys Peanut, O Henrys Picture Perfect, O Henrys Priness, O Henrys Peekaboo, O Henrys Precious Baby)

ARC Vanna-(Mars Victoria, Mars Velvet, Mars Rocket, Mars Van Gogh, Mars Vantastic, Mars Miss Hannah, Mars Venus)

Mars Vonnie-(O Henrys Starbrite-star on face, running out of 'V' names, O Henrys Georgeous George, O Henrys Chico Colorado-means Little Red in spanish-he was a tiny red colt, O Henrys High V)

Mars Chiantis Lady-(O Henrys Apache Moon Beam-sire had Apache in name an she had a perfect crescent, O Henrys Kid Kat-had just found out the sire, Apache Kid, was done breeding so we wanted to name her after him)

We don't have a specific time that we name them...when someone decides on a name, that's that. We usually don't worry about it too much. Last year we did have a filly that went from O Henrys Vanilla Creme to O Henry Inky Dinky the last minute. She was so tiny so my grandma started calling her Inky Dinky (I know, I know...poor little filly!) and before I knew it, everyone was calling her that. So I gave up and put it on her registration papers. Maybe I'll get my Vanilla Creme this year
default_wub.png

We start out with our prefix (which we reserved years ago with both AMHA & AMHR)...."Mini V". Then we add a part of the sire's name, and then we let the foal name itself! Usually the foal's look or personality helps.
default_smile.png
If the foal is even HALF Arenosa, we will try to take the meaning of a name and translate it into Spanish.

PS: For example.... We have a full arenosa mare of our breeding. She has what looks like a diamond on her forehead. Her sire is Bristol El Dorado. So we registered her as "Mini V Dorado's Diamonte". It probably took us a day to come up with that one.
default_biggrin.png
(We call her DeeDee or just Dee for short.)

Last edited by a moderator:
OY! Some times it takes me 4-5 months to come up with just the right name! I take it seriously since they'll carry that name their whole life!

I try to use something from the sire's names in there. And some times the dam's name too.

Some times it has to do with the color/pinto pattern.

Like, I agonized for months trying to come up with a name for a colt that did not use a word someone else "owned" but nothing else fits him! Then I found out Jill owned it and she let me use it! Thanks Jill!

I love my ROKO LOTTO SPLASH OF PERFECTION!
default_wub.png

I don't have any certain time when I name a foal, just whenever I get a good name. I've only had 2 foals born here and one was out of a mare that was already bred when I got her. I like to try to have part of the sire and dams name or some name in their pedigree added in.

My first foal is Firewalkers Lil Wink N Trixie, sire is Loranes Lil Firewalker and Wink comes from Winks Tabernacle on her dams side.

The second foal is Morrisvilles Gold Book (I hate this name). When I picked 2 names on his reg. papers I never thought they would go with this one, I wasn't very smart and didn't check to see if the last word in my first choice was owned by somebody and sure enough it was, so he is stuck with this name.

Morrisville is my prefix and he has GMB in his pedigree and his grandsire is Goat Hills One For The Books.

Typically they are named within the first few days, or within the first week. I am careful about choosing names, because I do believe they will live up to them. I own my prefix "Crayonbox" and use that, sometimes I try to use names of sire/dam or more often a color themed name. Sometimes I can pick the barn name right away, but have trouble with the registered name, sometimes it's the other way around! I often think I have the perfect name dreamed up before they are born, but when they hit the ground it just doesn't fit. I have a "running list" of names I can choose from if I get stuck.
default_rolleyes.gif

Here are just a few names:

2008:

Crayonbox Midnight Sky -Sky (bl/wh snowcap born at midnight, Starchief Appy Dans Blanket Bingo X Toyland Falabella Calita)

Crayonbox Color Me Autumn - Autumn (Starchief Appy Dans Blanket Bingo X Little Chief's Spring Blossom)

Crayonbox Don't Worry Be Happy- Happy (he was named for a month Crayonbox Almost A Heartbreak, but he lived up to the name a little too well, so I changed it!)

2007:

Crayonbox Made You Look-Looker (Loud Tovero pintaloosa, Toyland Macho Chips X Crayonbox Wild River Canyon)

Crayonbox Idle Superstition-Superstition or Super (Born on a Friday the 13th)

Crayonbox Crystal Clear- Crystal Clear (Starchief Appy Dans Blanket Bingo x SH Black Crystal)

2006:

Crayonbox Cash In Your Chips- Cash (Toyland Macho Chips x Toyland Terrilee)

Crayonbox Tickle Me Pink -Tickle (Crayola crayon color, Toyland Macho Chips x SH Black Crystal)

Usually we have the name with in a few days.

Example: Kavelbel C. Aprils no fool fourteen

Above**prefix*initial of dam*born Aprils fools day*at the end: number of foals

We only have to come up with the few words in the middle. works for us.

Last edited by a moderator:
Our babies usually have their barn name by a day old, but registered names take me forever! I try to keep a running list of names I like, but have yet to actually use one lol

Latest posts

Back