How accurate are the pregnatest kits

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wishful

Reaction score
How accurate are the pregnatest kits you use with a drop of blood from the horses nose? Has anyone here used them?

We use them for 4 years now ..about 5 mares per year..never had a false result.
aktion033.gif

I've only used it once and it said mare wasn't pregnant. She wasn't...

I'll tell you next summer!
wink.gif
This was my first year using them, so I am hoping the results will be accurate. I had tested 7 mares, and ended up with results that read 2 negative, one "iffy" and 4 positive. They were all tested in the 70-80 day range I believe it was. The "iffy" one, the dealer believes to mean in foal, so I hope she's right!
yes.gif

I have used them several times and found them to be very acurate. I had one with questionable results. It took a long time for the mark to appear and was very faint (I think I didn't get enough blood). However, it did show her pregnant. I still questioned the results and last week I did one of those other tests that you use the serum after 120 or 140 days and it also showed her to be pregnant.

On the Pregnamare Test (that uses the drops of blood from the nose) I'm told you have to be sure to do the test within the recommended time frame.

Songcatcher said:
I have used them several times and found them to be very acurate.  I had one with questionable results.  It took a long time for the mark to appear and was very faint (I think I didn't get enough blood).  However, it did show her pregnant.  I still questioned the results and last week I did one of those other tests that you use the serum after 120 or 140 days and it also showed her to be pregnant.
535003[/snapback]

This is what happened to my "questionable" mare too, and then when I retested her, I got the exact same results.(one fainst spot and one dark spot) Now I have left them sitting on my desk in the liquid, and I just looked at my negative mare results, and now hers is showing 2 dots too, so not sure what that's all about!

Mona said:
Songcatcher said:
I have used them several times and found them to be very acurate.  I had one with questionable results.  It took a long time for the mark to appear and was very faint (I think I didn't get enough blood).  However, it did show her pregnant.  I still questioned the results and last week I did one of those other tests that you use the serum after 120 or 140 days and it also showed her to be pregnant.
535003[/snapback]

This is what happened to my "questionable" mare too, and then when I retested her, I got the exact same results.(one fainst spot and one dark spot) Now I have left them sitting on my desk in the liquid, and I just looked at my negative mare results, and now hers is showing 2 dots too, so not sure what that's all about!

535029[/snapback]

I would say if anything, that is good news. Although highly accurate, I have read that there is a much greater chance of a false negative than a false positive

Well Mona..it's been what? 5 month since you tested?? I would go with the initial results..it says read results after the last step..
laugh.gif

kaykay said:
is there a test you can do for a mare at 5 or 6 months?
535032[/snapback]

Yes. The second test I referred to is called FoalProof. It tests from either 120 or 140 days after conception all the way through birth. To do that test you need serum or plasma, not whole blood. However, once you get the blood drawn, the rest of the test is much simpler than the Pregnamare. There was another brand advertised in the MHW an issue or two ago that operated on the same principle, only different brand. I can't remember the name. I will try to look it up.

The other brand is called "Confirm" Rapid Serum Based Pregnancy test. The ad is on page 70 of the Oct/Nov issue of MHW.

Last edited by a moderator:
littlesteppers said:
Well Mona..it's been what? 5 month since you tested?? I would go with the initial results..it says read results after the last step..
laugh.gif

535035[/snapback]

LOL!!! I know, and I am...just thought I'd take a look, since you told me you keep yours in the test kit on your desk all winter too, so I did too.
wink.gif

Songcatcher said:
kaykay said:
535032[/snapback]

Yes. The second test I referred to is called FoalProof. It tests from either 120 or 140 days after conception all the way through birth. To do that test you need serum or plasma, not whole blood. However, once you get the blood drawn, the rest of the test is much simpler than the Pregnamare. There was another brand advertised in the MHW an issue or two ago that operated on the same principle, only different brand. I can't remember the name. I will try to look it up.

The other brand is called "Confirm" Rapid Serum Based Pregnancy test. The ad is on page 70 of the Oct/Nov issue of MHW.

535037[/snapback]

On the FoalProof test, did you have a vet run it? Did you have a spinner to separate the plasma/serum, or did you let it set in a cool place until it separated??

I was reading about it, and would like to try it, but I hate to have to take the blood all the way to our vets to have it spun.

Last edited by a moderator:
KsCowgirl said:
Songcatcher said:
kaykay said:
535032[/snapback]

535037[/snapback]

On the FoalProof test, did you have a vet run it? Did you have a spinner to separate the plasma/serum, or did you let it set in a cool place until it separated??

I was reading about it, and would like to try it, but I hate to have to take the blood all the way to our vets to have it spun.

535110[/snapback]

The first time I used this, I had two mares tested (along with some other vet work). One mares blood separated very quickly and the other one had to be spun. The one that had to be spun was NOT pregnant (not that that had any thing to do with it). The last time I used this (on one mare) I just let the blood set and it separated on its own. Actually, she is the same mare whose blood separated on its own last year.

It's important to be very accurate in the days when using the Pregnamare test, the one time I used it, I did the test one day early and got a false negative. I had counted wrong originally, but was glad it was wrong!
smile.gif

Back