Housing versus Care....

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mulligans Run

Reaction score
I'm asking this because I have some friends that have horses in their garage. They've cleaned out the garage, built little stalls and they have a small area fenced out back that the minis can run and play in.

It's not fancy, it's not big enough, in my opinion, but they're working on moving.

The horses are fed twice a day, handled frequently throughout the day (ladies are retired), walked daily, farriered, wormed, vetted, etc.

So, is the fact that they don't live in a barn and they don't have a large yard as critical as the fact that they are cared for, loved and I know for a fact they are healthy?

The reason I ask is that someone has contacted me about them and they think the minis are not in the type of environment they should be in. I just can't see it. While they don't have a barn, they do have adequate shelter. They don't have a pasture, but they have a lawn, all be it small.....

I've assured the concerned party that the horses are well cared for, in fact they come to my house every time our farrier comes. They use my vet and they are in contact with me if they have problems.

So...what's more important?

I would say they are lucky little horses to have the care they seem to have. Sure a larger pasture area would be ideal. But they are taken for walks so they get out and stretch their legs and have new things to look at to catch their interest. I am sure there are many horses that could only wish they had this care.

A horse with a large pasture that is looked at once in a while and lacking in vet care etc., is in a much more critical state i would think. And as you say they are working at moving and improvements.

I agree with Bluebell.....Sounds like people are being unnecessarily nosey. There are a lot of minis and horses in general that would KILL for a home like that!

MA

It sounds like to me they have a wonderful home now and will have an even better one on the near future!
yes.gif

Heck i know people with 6-7 horses in 1/4 acre and others with 20 + on 1.5 acre a good home is more then amount of land

Well.....it's far from ideal, but you have already said they realise this and are working on more land. I honestly do not think anyone could ask for anything more.

So.....what's the problem? They're fed, loved, have shelter, have "medical" care, have a place to play and exercise? I just don't see why this is even an issue?

i honestly dont see whats wrong with it,I live in the middle of a busy city,I keep my horse out the back of a vets surgery, my husband has made two beautiful stables me horse is taken to the park everyday ,were he meet all the children that would never encounter a horse in there lives ,hes fed better than most horses, is brushed twice a day,and made a fuss of as I love him to bits, Im even getting him a wife
aktion033.gif
before I bought him he was standing in a wee shed on his own never out even though he was living on 50 acres of dairy land,they kept him as a novelty. I dont care what anybody thinks I know he will never be loved more than I do. I GET THE FARIER OUT EVERY 6 WEEKS, THE VET ALL THE TIME JUST TO CHECK ON HIM.HES BETTER LOOKED AFTER THAN ME! I think the people that your talking about have horses for the love of them,and these type of people are what horses need, am I wrong because its just my opinion,

tuffsmom said:
So.....what's the problem? They're fed, loved, have shelter, have "medical" care, have a place to play and exercise? I just don't see why this is even an issue?
491501[/snapback]

I don't really see a difference between their stalls being in a barn or a garage. Many people have beautiful barns and their living quarters are above the barn...what's the difference really? I actually like the idea....no walking 1/2 mile in 3ft of snow to get to the barn
biggrin.gif
. If it's dry and shelter and safe, I think it is fine.

I too have seen 4-5 big horses pastured in less than an 1/2 acre, is it animal cruelity? Some people may say so...I think the more pasture, the better, but that's not always possible. I have my 2 minis on about an acre and it's not big enough. They can run, but they've eaten it down to a dry lot practically. More is always better in my opinion. There are some horses that are never even let out of stalls...show horses at that.

These minis sound very well cared for, ideal situation....maybe so, maybe not...but it sound like they have everything they need and our luckier than alot of other horses.

How big is the fenced in area? Mine are 70 feet by 140 feet for each one...But I had one for a short time on 30 by 50 feet till I cut some brush out and made it bigger... And that also at one end had a nice 10 X 12 Storage shed for shelter for one Then I split that into and then each mini had a 5 X 12 as a stall worked just great plenty of outside space to run in and nice shelter to sleep in a dry place with bedding for a nights sleep if They decided to as it was a run in type shed

I don't see the problem at all... I have 2 outdoor pipe fenced stalls, and I also have a one-car garage that I converted into a stall. It's cement floor, with rubber mats on top, and shavings on top of that.

They have a large turnout, and as everyone know, my guys are sooo spoiled! Here's a picture of the converted garage:

MistyMoment.jpg

I know of horses that are kept in small stalls 24/7. I also know of horses that have huge pastures. Some of those horses are skinny, long hooved, sometimes sick & none or poor shelter. I am sure the above would love to swap environments with the horses you mentioned............ A bigger exercise area would be better so hopefully that will come in the near future...................................... Wanted to add that some sellers are guilty of misleading buyers on the space that a miniature horse needs. I know a lot of sellers say all you need is room equal to what a big dog would require. What some don't realize is that some big dogs do not have adequate living quarters either.................. Sellers please make sure a newbie understands the room a miniature horse should have.

I have a boarder who learned this the hard way. Took her horse to the most beautiful barn. Heated indoor, new stalls, wash racks, picture perfect. Her horse started acting strange and upset. She came in one day and saw the barn owner beating her horse. There are more important things then a big beautiful pasture and beautiful barn. Proper vet & farrier care & feed & love. Housing is on the list of important things but your horse could care less if it is a converted garage, lean-to or million dollar barn. It just needs to be safe. There will always be busybodies who do not understand this.

I don't know how big the area is for the backyard. I've seen it, but I'm really bad at measurements and distance, sorry. I think it's a little small for an everyday run, but, like most have pointed out, it's better than being stuck in a stall 24/7.

I'm glad to hear that my views on this are shared. I know these horses are very, very loved and well cared for. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't being biased since I know the owners.

Thanks guys for your input.

First I want to say, I don't know if I never noticed or it is new, but I love the horse in your avatar! Gorgeous!

Second, what is a barn???? It's a name! A barn is a structure that houses animals, she has horses in there, so I'd say it's a barn as well. If you park your RV in the barn, is it then a garage?

Anyway.

If they are cared for properly, including exercise, I'd say they are fine. I know horses as well that are in stalls way too much of the day. But they are cared for as well, so not really a bad thing, just in my opinion, not the best thing.

With what I see going on in the world, people and how they care or don't care for their animals, I think these horses are pretty lucky!

It would occur to me to ask the nosey busy body where she got her degree in enviormently acceptable horse shelters.

As long as the horse has enough room to get enough excercise, then the type of shelter should not matter. Some busybodies just need to get a life (and preferably one of their own
biggrin.gif
)

Marty and Dannigirl...tooo funny. She is a bit of a busy body and I know that she knows nothing about horses.

Frankie - thanks for the compliment on our horse. That's Dakota San Juan Marcos our 2 year old National Champion Gelding. We're very pleased with him - you should see him move!!

Latest posts

Back