Hotmail help ex accessing my email

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jess

Reaction score
I think my ex is logging into my email....Is there a way to tell where my account is being accessed from, IE an IP address or location? Also will a keystroke recorder be able to trace when my acct is logged into if it's logged in on a computer other then my own or does it only log the keystrokes on my computer? If not is there any software that will?

Thanks

Jess

Last edited by a moderator:
Amen Mary Lou. It is best to change your password at least once a month as there are some people with way too much time on their hands.
default_wink.png

Thanks....I've tried changing my password and even opened a new acct. somehow he's apparently still able to get into my accts..Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks....I've tried changing my password and even opened a new acct. somehow he's apparently still able to get into my accts..Any thoughts or suggestions?
What reason do you have to believe he is doing this?

If you created a new email account and think he's reading that one, how did he get the new contact info? Did you tell him?

Do you use the same computer? Ever? I know he's your ex, but do you still have the same friends ect and perhaps you just popped on real quick to check your email on their computer?

Are you using obvious variations on the same password? Are your passwords easily guessable? Are you sharing your log in information with ANYONE, ANYONE at all? And don't say "Well, just my friend... but I can trust her!"- maybe you can't.

Keyloggers work on the local machine on which their installed. They will not scan internet sites for activity. They will ONLY log what is typed into the machine from the keyboard attached to THAT machine.

Hotmail does not have an audittrail that you can access. You'd probably need a court order to gain access to that information.

I guess it's *possible* that he installed a keylogger trojan on your computer and it logs your keystrokes which then get covertly sent to him so he can police you. Rather frightening possibility, really.

I haven't given any info about my password to anyone...I've only used the new acct on my computer....We live in different states..He hasn't had access to my laptop since we divorced 8 months ago...And I can tell someone is logging into my acct because messages I haven't read myself yet are opened already...He was abusive when we were together and this is a bit freaky...I've used a mix of random letters and numbers for my passwords. They have no rhyme or reason to them...Is there a way to detect if he's installed a keylogger trojan on my computer...I do have virus protection on my computer...

It's really creepy if someone is reading through your emails. I don't think I'd take a chance, I'd buy a new computer and change my hotmail account to yahoo, msn, or aol, etc. Good luck.

"I'd buy a new computer and change my hotmail account to yahoo, msn, or aol, etc. Good luck."

That's the next step I'm taking if I have to.....

I'd suggest reformatting your computer (fresh install of windows), as it sounds like there is a key stroke logger on your computer.

:Kim

What if you go to an entirely different email service? Yahoo is free email also- and just dont tell him that you have changed it- do not give him your email info and who you are with. That sounds pretty bizarre that email is already showing as read! Are you noticing any pattern? Any particular senders email that shows as read, or random?

Have you contacted someone through customer service to see if they can help you out directly? Tell them what you think is happening and if you need to, speak to a manager.

Anyone else in your home with you that could be reading them? Are you logging out of your email when you close down your computer or staying logged in with the email service itself? I ALWAYS log out before I shut my computer down.

Try installing and running Spybot Search & Destroy. It may find the nasty bug that is hidden on your comp if there is one. If not do what someone else said. Backup all your files and stuff and then do a clean install of windows.

IF the OP really does have a bonafide keylogger trojan, standard virus removal tools won't detect it nor fix it. These things are very, very challenging to find and remove. Unless you know specifically where to look and what to look for, it'll never get found. And once you find it, removing it is another challenge. Can it be done? Yes. Is it something a novice user can reasonably expect to be able to do? Probably not.

These things are resistant to detection AND removal. They are often enterprise grade software. They're not little scripts written by bored teenagers. These things are meant to steal valuable data or monitor usage. Unlike viruses most people think of, where people assume that the virus is meant to cause obvious chaos, these things are MEANT to go undetected. They are designed that way. If they get detected, they can't keep spying on you and stealing things from you.

How can you get a keylogger? Or any bit of nasty malware anymore? Surfing the internet poorly protected- and firewall/antivirus/antispyware is not enough anymore. Downloading stuff isn't required anymore. You can pick up bugs just going to websites or reading emails. Chinese gold-selling sites for MMO games are especially notorious for keyloggers.

Reformatting your harddrive may or may not work. These things are meant to survive that. Most of the nastiest malware WILL survive a reformat. Erasing a disc does not really erase anything. It's very easy to lift data off "erased" drives and you don't need to be in an FBI lab either. Why do you think businesses and the government just warehouse their old drives?

Anyway, the idea of a keylogger trojan is very tinfoil hat. I'm not saying it's impossible, because sure, it is- a couple of my WoW guildmates have been keylogged, and I know for a fact my worklaptop has all kinds of big brother software lurking in the background- but this DOES give her ex an awful lot of credit for being cunning and savvy (and quite a lot scary!)

Working on the assumption she really does have a trojan quietly running in the background, the simple & complete solution is just to replace the harddrive. Replacing the whole computer not necessary. A new drive is a complete, simple and inexpensive solution.

The advice to copy over all her files is pretty bad. IF she has a bonafide bit of yuck, just doing a massive "My Documents" copy may very well pull the source of the bug with her. When doing the backup INDIVIDUALLY choose files ONE BY ONE. Do NOT take whole directories. Things like saved emails are probably not safe. Saved email attachments are not safe. Any kind of demo software or what-not is probably not safe. If you're going to go with the tinfoil hat trojan theory, you have to look at EVERY file on your computer as the possible source of infection.

ETA: If you REALLY have things like saved emails and the like that you feel you will NEED (ie, emails for pending litigation) I'd probably print out copies, and then burn digital copies to a CD. Archive both, making a note that there might be bugs attached to the files. Then archive the CDs and keep the printed out stuff in a safe place for reference. I wouldn't access the contents of the CDs unless I HAD to, and I'd do my best to access the files only on a computer that I didn't care if it caught a bug, and it had no sensitive data on it. My laptop, for example, is pretty good for this- it's old, it barely works, it doesn't wander the internet and I don't use it for anything anymore. If it caught 500 viruses it wouldn't matter, because it's never exposed to any other computers.

Physically destroy the old drive before disposing of it (see note above about nothing erased is ever really erased...)

Someone may have already mentioned this but, is it possible that he installed one of those (spy on your kid) programs? If he did until you remove it he will always be able to access your accounts because he can see everything you do and change.

Robin

Latest posts

Back