Hot Flashes

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fullmoon

Reaction score
Does anyone have a good remedy for hot flashes? I've tried the over the counter Estrogen (didn't work) and even went to the doctor and got a prescription (did not like the side effects). It's hot enough outside! I've got the house cooled off so much my husband is complaining but these hot flashes are getting ridiculous!

Honey...............I feel for you. I have been through this for 10 years. Tell you what works for me.

#1 In the summer I keep the temperature at 67. That is the magic number for me. And at night the overhead fan goes on also. Still sweat every time I get in and out of bed. Take lots of cool showers.

#2....PRAY FOR SNOW
snowing.gif
.......then go outside............NAKED! Thank God I live where no one else can see me. :lol:

I was on Ortho Prefest for a few years for other problems coinciding with Menopause. What they fail to tell you is that as soon as you go off the hormones that you go through symptoms all over again.

I live in Florida and I swear Canada and Alaska are sounding really good to me.

And BTW.....tell the husband he can always put clothes on. Just wait until he gets a taste of male menopause. Cured mine real quick.

Good luck.........

Carol

Last edited by a moderator:
default_yes.gif
: Mr Freezes help

I have cetral air and hubbie says he feet are freezing somedays and has goose pumps and I am just right

Only drug that works for me is estrodial. Takes about a month to kick in but keeps the crazies(crabiness) under control and the hot flashes. My doctor wants me to stay on them. Once in while I try to stop and still get mild hot flashes at night so still take 1/2 half a dose once a day at her recommendation.

I use a progesterone cream, you can get it at those vitamin stores. Start out putting in on twice a day for two weeks or 30 days depending on what type cream you get and then once a day. I usually put it on my feet, so not only did I have nice smooth feet :D, it calmed the hot flashes and yep, I have everyone wearing sweaters in the house and in our office, HA MOTHER ALWAYS RULES hee hee :new_shocked:

Can't send any suggestions just my sympathy........ I don't wake up in a sweat anymore :aktion033:. Mine now come on quickly & leave just as quick. If I'm outside I immediately have sweat running down my face. If I'm in the house I sit under the fan. I've turned the one in the computer room off & on so much that I broke it!...... I picked up some of the cream but after reading up on the side effects took it back..... Few years back I frequented a menopause chat board - lots of info & sympathy there also............ Hang in there. I keep a glass of ice water handy - my power surges now are accompanied with a brief feeling of extreme thirst............... Oh & at the horse shows & outside (sometimes) I put two ice cubes in a bandanna & wrap it around my neck. Replace the ice cubes as needed.

Taking vitamin e and avoiding coffe helped me a lot.
default_yes.gif
: Wonder how many BTU's we put off!! Mary

Thanks so much for all the suggestions. I get to feeling like I'm the only one in the world that has these blasted things! I never seem to see other women with sweat running down there faces even when inside. My mom and grandmother never had hot flashes so I always thought that I'd just slide right by all this. NOT! I've been wondering if this is what spontaneous combustion must feel like?

10 years?!! Oh my gosh, I don't think I can handle this for that long and I know my family can't!! :bgrin

I can sympathize!! Was "fortunate" enough to go through this TWICE :new_shocked: Hysterectomy at 31 sent me into surgical menopause. Once the ovaries (that were left) overcame the shock and kicked back in, it subsided. I took some hormones for a couple months and it was tolerable.

THEN, when I was about 50 something, the ovaries decided to give me another shot at it :no: It began with all the real issues this time -- poor memory, crabby, hot flashes, etc. WELL, I was shellshocked!
default_wacko.png
: So off to the doctor once again. This time I used a patch and only had to change it weekly. Worked nicely -- helped most of the issues, still some hot flashes but not nearly as bad. About 6 months or so and I was ok. It's different for many. But, a curse for all.

NOTE: I refused to use the most popular pink pill because I protested the treatment of the PMU mares lifestyle......
default_yes.gif
: ........my doctor got a lesson in humanity.

I wish you the very, very best. I can remember that drinking hot liquids could set me off. And, when my husband cuddled at night, wow--instant! :new_shocked: We kept a towel handy
default_wub.png
:

1. Time roughly 15 years

2. A cold cloth on the back of my neck

3. A good counselor

4. Good air conditioning from April through November here in Maine

5. A family who has learned to ignore their crazy mother.

Glad I ran acrosss this...I've had this since I was 52,I'm 57 now and last year I had my thyroid out...Boy!!! Those hot flashes are worse than ever...If I go outside I've got sweat rolling down my back and everywhere else..lol..back of my neck and hair is like I put my head under water...Gives a whole new meaning to 'sweathog'...LOL..I refuse to take any hormones so I guess I'll suffer until it finally goes away...Ummm anti depressants also help....

ahhhhhhh the vinegar..... Lee has been drinking his vinegar mixed with a bit of honey daily for weight loss. As stated on the forum it is good for other things.................... I just poured some in my ice water. Think I will start sipping vinegar water all day. Will let you know if it works - could lose a few pounds also................ I buy the Bragg vinegar from the natural food store - it has the mother in it (the cloudy floating stuff that is suppose to be best for you)..... I did pick up some vinegar pills but I doubt that they are the same as the liquid - anyone know?...................................................................................... Helps Remove Body Toxins * Helps Promote a Youthful Body *Helps support a healthy immune system * Helps Maintain Healthy Skin * Helps Control Weight * Improves Digestion and Assimilation * Soothes Tight and Aching Joints and Sore Muscles from exercise * Soothes irritated skin.

I went through the menopause at 39 from shock- then went into M.E. that caused me to lose 35 pounds in a short period of time- I was down to just over 80 pounds- and then the Menopause really kicked in- FLUSHES?? You want FLUSHES??

I had Niagara Falls, I can tell you.

Dr put me on the single dose replacement therapy as the periods had stopped and I had been on it for nearly twenty years till I decided to stop- I honestly think I shall go back on again as the Niagara Falls is back and I am constantly without any energy, in spite of all the "alternative therapy" I can muster.

Sometimes chemicals are just necessary
default_yes.gif
:

:new_shocked: :aktion033:
default_yes.gif
: So glad I'm past that point. Lots of apples, pealings too. Apples have a similar chemical to our harmones.

Yup, multiple meltdowns. Hot weather doesn't help.

I have found that if I stay away from caffiene it does help. Also keep ice water handy at all times. The more water that I drink, the less frequent the hot flashes are.

I sure miss my walk in freezer that I had in my bakery, it is amazing how fast -4 degrees will stop a hot flash!

Just join the ranks of the "experienced" generation

[SIZE=14pt]Im in the same boat as the rest of you now.... personal summers and tantrums..... my poor husband gets the brunt of it .Maybe I should let him read this thread or better yet, call all of your husbands for moral support! No hormones here either..... We will get thru this somehow! I use the cold on the back of the neck lots too.... get very sticky and tacky skin even when everyone else is freezing. We can comiserate at nationalas those of us old hags that are going! We will keep a cooler of ice just for our necks and feet![/SIZE]

Lyn

Been there, done that. Once when in the grocery store, I nearly blacked out, hot flashes too! The young lady who was the pharmacist (and knew my approximate age) said, "My mom is having the same problems, lay off ALL caffein. It will help. " I would not go on hormones, so I had to tuff it out. Guess I was one of the lucky ones, the flashes didn't last long for me, and when I gave up all caffein, I improved greatly.

Latest posts

Back