:-( Horses attacked by a stray dog

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KanoasDestiny

Reaction score
I was hoping that I would never have to post on this topic but unfortunately, I am. This morning, I got ready for work and then went out to feed Zoey and Gideon. Please keep in mind that they are boarded at a neighbor's house.

As I was walking back to the horses, I turned the corner and saw both horses staring at me. Zoey ALWAYS neighs to me, but she didn't. I felt it was odd but didn't think too much about it. As I was walking closer, I looked on the ground and saw big dog prints. I swear to you, my heart skipped a beat. When I got back to the fence, I looked along it to make sure that it wasn't damaged. Neither horse had attempted to come see me, as they usually do. I turned around and went to look at the tracks again to see where they led to. Zoey began running around, and Gideon was following her. I instantly knew something had happened because they aren't very active. From first glance, I could tell that the horses didn't seem to be hurt. I followed the tracks right to another area of the fence and the fencing was pushed inside of the pen. I knew a dog had entered the pen, so I hurried in to look them over. As I approached them, I saw that Zoey has a huge gash above her right eye. Then I glanced at Gideon and he has a puncture wound on his lower leg, where it looked like he was bit. After looking them over several times from head to tail, I realized how very lucky I was. These are the only marks on them. Thank God that it obviously wasn't another neighbor's pit bull that is always roaming the streets.

I talked to a neighbor who lives close to the corral and she said that she heard the dog out there at around 3:30 this morning, but she didn't realize it was in with the horses. She had some cats massocred a couple years ago, so I know she has a fear of going out when a dog is on her property. I gave her my number asking that she call me if she ever hears a dog or the horses throwing a fit again. I am also closing extra gates, and reinforcing the fence. I am using Tea Tree Oil on the wounds, but wonder if I should use anything else? Zoey's gash above her eye (sorta on her forehead) could have been caused by her running into something, just as easily as by the dog, as it looks more like it is a deep scrape. Gideon's leg is only the size of one tooth mark, but it is fairly deep. I haven't called a vet, as the wounds really aren't bad. I think they were more shook up than anything. But I have a report in to the humane society and am waiting for them to arrive.

I hope they heal quickly. From past reading of this I would have the vet come out.

My thoughts for them and you!

Sorry to hear about your horses. I would call the vet and ask about the horse that has a deep tooth puncture might cause a infection.Hope that they both recover soon.

That is scarey hope they'll be fine a vet check would be on my list you never know what dogs can carry.

edited because just saw scary is spelled scarey

Last edited by a moderator:
How scarey, so glad your horses are okay! I too would encourage you to have your vet take a look at the wounds, they could get a lot worse if they become infected.

The horse with a puncture really does need to see the vet and be put on antibiotics. He will also need a tetnus booster. Hope they both heal quickly!!

Well the horses are calmed down now and acting normal. I called the vet and he isn't able to come out because he is located in a town about 30 minutes away, and was in my town all morning. He left about an hour before I called, and is already at another emergency in another town. But he told me to give a tetnus shot to both horses (I don't give shots, so I will have my aunt come over and do), wash both wounds with Betadine and pack it with Neosporin. From there, if they act any different, I am to call immediately and take their temp. I just can't believe that this happened. I'm just glad that the dog must have been more interested in chasing them, then hurting them or that they were able to scare it away.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm glad they are ok. This is my biggest fear, is finding a dog going after my minis. Keep us posted on how they're doing.

Leslie

I would be concerned that the dog will come back. If they are allowed to roam, they will find their way into trouble. Your horses were lucky this time... the dog may have been scared off, or something that it was not able to finish what it started out to do. Once a dog starts this behavior, it will not stop!!!

If you have a place to shut the horses in at night, I would sure do that. And keep your eyes open for any and all stray dogs. Do they have any dogs where they are being kept?

No, there's no dogs back anywhere near the horses. I tried to make the fencing as strong as possible but the dog was pretty good in size according to the footprints. It pushed the nails out of a corner of the fence and squeezed in.

It's actually a freak accident because my neighbor always has her front gate closed. They just began cementing an area under the gate to make it so the gates can't be pushed open, and the gate had to stay open for the cement to dry. The dog went right in through there and walked all the way back to the horses. She promised that the gate will be closed for now on no matter what, and that we can close the gate that leads to her back yard, and also the corral gate. So now a dog will have to go through 3 more gates to make it back to the horse pen, unless they dig through or jump the 5 foot perimeter fence. We are also making the fencing stronger and I am looking into motion sensors that will sound for anything over 25 pounds.

The guy from the humane society came out and he said that he or another officer will be out patroling the area several times a day, so that they can pick up any stray dogs. I just found out that two children were attacked in my neighborhood from a different dog, so I think this is even more initiative for the humane society to monitor the area. We've always had a dog problem around here, but unfortunately, it takes something bad to happen to get officials to act.

oh wow thats terrible!!!!!!
default_sad.png
i would definetly get a vet out stray dogs can carry diseases and could have been rabid.. that would suck!!!!

Back