Horses and Pumpkins

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GypsyMoonMinis

Reaction score
Can horse eat pumpkin? I ask because when we were moving one of my mares over, she spotted the halloween pumpkins and made a mad dash for it. The deer love to eat them, and I've read you can give foals pumpkin puree for poo problems. So, would it be ok to maybe cut up the pumpkin and feed them little bits of it as a treat? Im super paranoid about anything that goes into thier wandering mouths.

I would be curious of this answer too. Last year my horses used my pumpkins as toys and then started nawing on them.

I'm not sure about the peels, but yes, pumpkin is safe but I would also say it should be given in moderation.

There was an article in Equus Magazine about pumpkins.

It stated that horses love pumpkins and it is a good treat for them because they are low in calories, carbs and are about 90% water. Just recommended to cut into nice bite size pieces to prevent choke.

I think it'd be fine, i just wouldn't feed them the guts or seeds, but its probably like feeding melons to them, mine love an ice cold watermelon on a hot summers day, you'll have to tell us how its goes for another healthy treat idea.

Dan

great! thanks for the info. I have one pumpkin that the deer have started to devour, so ill bring a piece of the broken park in and cut it up and see what they think. Ill let you all know

I don't think that the pumpkins we grew would be good for any animal. The outside was 1/4" thick and like wood. Then the inside was stringy. I have never seen pumpkins like we grew and they were from the seeds of the pumpkins the year before which were good pumpkins. I wonder if it has to do with the harsh sun here in Nevada?

Last edited by a moderator:
Horses like pumpkins, but if they get ahold of them, in moderation.

Pumpkins you grew from seed could be mutants if the original one was a hybrid. And the weather can affect their growin qualities. EEEweee.....buy new seeds
default_laugh.png

Pumpkins you grew from seed could be mutants if the original one was a hybrid. And the weather can affect their growin qualities. EEEweee.....buy new seeds
default_laugh.png
We tossed all the seeds from the pumpkins this year. I had to carve them with a hammer and chizzle.
default_new_shocked.gif
I don't want to do that again.

The seeds or rather the coating on the seeds are a natural wormer. So spill your guts...............

We grow pupmkins to sell every year and each year I take a few a week and throw them in for the goats, llama and minis. The minis could care less about them. They smell them, paw alittle, and maybe a nibble but beyond that they don't care much. Now my big horse thats a different story! Always the first pumpkin goes to him and he makes a big fuss every time! He won't eat it but does all the snorting and dancing like it's going to kill him and take his place in the barn! What goof balls!!!

Oh and we throw them in whole but do try to crack them so it's easier for the goats to get the seeds.

Leya

default_new_rofl.gif
and hubby says thoses goofy goats aren't good for anything!!!! Now wouldn't that be a suprise to have "help" planting!!!!!
default_new_rofl.gif

Latest posts

Back