Horse of a different color

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jaxjag2000

Reaction score
We had a colt born last year and we STILL can not figure out what color the little guy is!! :eek: We thought he was a palomino. He was born golden with a white mane and tail. Then we started to notice black points on the legs and ears, so we thought maybe we was a dilute buckskin. Last weekend we clipped his head to make sure he wasn't just going grey and he has dark points on his muzzle and ears. BUT he has a pure white mane and tail with no sign of any darker color. Both his sire and grandsire are buckskins from Buckeroo and his dam is black/dark brown out of a leopard app.

We think he may just a buckskin that will eventually darken, but I've never seen this color before! Anyone else had a foal like this?

Do you have pictures? A picture or two would be very helpful in figuring out his color.

From your description, he sounds like he could be silver bay, but both parents sound like black-based colors and so silver would show if present. Hmmm, very interesting.

Could be a Silver Bay- without pictures we are just guessing!!

Colours of sire and Dam (or better still pictures of sire and dam) would be helpful.

If you could post pictures, it would help.........but from your description he sounds like he is either a very light silver bay or a silver buckskin.

MA

From your description of the colt....he sounds like he's definitely a Silver Buckskin or Silver Bay.
default_yes.gif
:

If the dam is black....she can't be carrying Silver.

If the sire is Buckskin (with BLACK mane & tail that hasn't been dyed) he can't be carrying Silver either.

I would guess that the Buckskin sire is the Silver carrier & has a "diluted" mane & tail.

Thanks... yes we figured he was a very dilute buckskin that may get darker points later. Just a pure white mane and tail is really a new one to me! I'll get pictures up when I clip him in April. It's a tad chilly here still for any more than head and neck.

Is it the Jackpot colt on your website? I'm thinking he's a silver buckskin too.. Here's our silver buckskin filly.. She's out of a silver bay mare (looks like a sorrel with flaxen mane/tail but has dark lower legs) and out of our buckskin stallion

Dam:

d9667a29.jpg

Sire:

CIMG2155.jpg

This is at a few hours old

CIMG1922.jpg

She was a really neat color, hard to explain, I thought at first she was pali because she had the peachy palomino color, but you can see she has the darker legs, muzzle and mane, but her tail was very light except for right on the top..

Here's at a couple days old

CIMG1971.jpg

Here's at 2 weeks

Trixie17days.jpg

Trixie17days2.jpg

As you can see her mane is VERY faint in color, the tips of her ears and muzzle are dark

This is approximately a month old

100_0162.jpg

3 months, mane and tail is blonde

Trixie1.jpg

5 moths:

101_0875.jpg

101_0883.jpg

This is this winter:

102_1666.jpg

She now has the dark 'mask' on her face, will be interesting to see if she keeps it when clipped/shed.. I plan on clipping her this next weekend over Easter break :aktion033:

Yes it is Jackpot. His weanling picture is at http://www.agsminiaturehorses.20m.com/imag...up2_357x328.jpg

I forgot those pics where up. I will post a current picture when I clip him. We've had two other foals like this, but they always had hints of black/brown in their mane and they eventually turned darker to have a partially white/black mane as dilute buckskins. His mane and tail are so white it makes me wonder if it will ever turn darker or if it may stay white!

Lucky C your filly's color is lovely! Silver Bay dam with palomino stud is how we produce dilute buckskins every time. Our current foal is out of a black/brown mare and a buckskin stallion of a completely different bloodline than our previous foals. Maybe there is something in our grass.
default_rolleyes.gif
:

Our first dilute buckskin baby had his first baby this year with a brown appy mare and his owners got a golden buckskin from that cross!

What colors have your dilute buckskins produced??

I would love to know that!

Thanks, can't wait to see what it is after I clip her...

Someone said earlier in the post that the silver dilutes the mane and tail, so not sure if our boy carries the silver gene or not, his mane and tail are not black, more of a chocolately brown color, same with his legs.. His other two foals have been buckskins as well that do not appear to have silver, as they both had VERY dark black points (and are full siblings) at birth, but the filly (now a 2 year old) has faded to the same chocolate colored points as the sire..
default_rolleyes.gif
:

Silver does dilute the black in the mane and tail and points, but Cream, which all Buckskins have (so the term "dilute" Buckskin is a bit confusing as all Buckskins are dilutes!!) also tends to inhibit Silver- thus you can get a Silver Buckskin with quite a dark mane and tail.

here's the other two foals by the above stallion (full siblings out of a bay tobiano mare) think they could carry silver?

Filly:

CIMG0912.jpg

Colt:

CIMG1982.jpg

So then Jaxjag's buckskin stallion must be a silver buckskin too right? Because the silver has to come from somewhere, it cannot hide on a black based horse. IMO he is just a silver buckskin that, like Rabbitsfizz suggests, has a darker brown mane and tail rather than a lightened one like his son. Am I on the right track?

Silver does dilute the black in the mane and tail and points, but Cream, which all Buckskins have (so the term "dilute" Buckskin is a bit confusing as all Buckskins are dilutes!!) also tends to inhibit Silver- thus you can get a Silver Buckskin with quite a dark mane and tail.

Thank you, Rabbitfizz. That is good to know. So, then a silver buckskin can have a pure white mane and tail b/c of a silver gene and still be considered "buckskin"? We get such fun colors in Minis!
default_smile.png

Very pretty guy. I have seen horses with this color referred to as Yellow Dun but I am sure that is an outdated description now. Probably a silver palomino?

Nikki Faubus

Last edited by a moderator:
So then Jaxjag's buckskin stallion must be a silver buckskin too right? Because the silver has to come from somewhere, it cannot hide on a black based horse. IMO he is just a silver buckskin that, like Rabbitsfizz suggests, has a darker brown mane and tail rather than a lightened one like his son. Am I on the right track?

This is the sire of the colt, Jackpot.

buck_parade_web.jpg

I thought he was golden, but I guess he used to have some white in his mane long ago. Seems strange, he has intense gold color in the summer. So maybe he really is silver? The stallion (with the stars on his rump)'s dam was a strawberry roan and his sire a very golden buckskin.

edited to say: He doesn't seem to pass on the stars though ;-)

That stallions mother, as a "strawberry" roan could have either been a red based roan, or chestnut roan, hiding the silver, or it is possible she could have been a silver bay roan mislabled as a chestnut roan as can often be the case with silver bays. This is fun see? :bgrin

This is very fun! lol Yes, "strawberry roan" is the only way I can think of to describe her since I am not savvy on color genetics. She is the color of a strawberry with roaning and big white hind stockings and a white mane and tail. I don't remember what color her parents were.

edited to say: The "strawberry roan" mare has no dark points.

Latest posts

Back