Hoof Separation

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm reapplying this every few days and Ill be interested to hear what my farrier thinks when he is back out on the 12th of September.

I really like the "Life Data" products , just wish they were not so expensive here
default_smile.png

http://www.lifedatalabs.com/products/life-data-hoof-clay

Hi Marsha, I have just started using this product , its from the makers of "Farriers Formula" . My farrier just told me its a new product so I got some off him to try on my TB.

Ask your farrier what he thinks but it could be good from stopping the wet/ damp conditions entering into the hoof, especially if your heading into winter.

P.S hope the price is a little more 'friendly" for you, Its an imported product here and I think it cost me $70 for the little tub.
What conditions cause the problem for your TB? For me it appears to be rich seasonal grass.

What conditions cause the problem for your TB? For me it appears to be rich seasonal grass.
Yes the same with me unfortunately. Its usually at its worst at the start of spring when the sun reappears and at the start of autumn when the rains first arrive. Its limited grazing time during those two periods of the year and increased grass hay for him.

Omg !!!!

How are you finding the clay Marsha ? My Tb has had just had his second trim since ive been applying it to both fronts. My farrier seems to be happy with his progress but did mention that it would be another couple of trims before we would notice any major difference and whether its helping .

Its drying up here now as the weather improves , but I have to say Ive been really impressed that it seems to stay in the position its applied , even in the wettest conditions.

Ryan

Marsha - thank you for the update. I hadn't seen this one before with everything going on here (Rain several times in September & then Hurricane Matthew). We had several hooves like that in 2013 - when we had an extreme amount of rain and again this year. Between 2004 & 2008, I boarded an Arabian gelding that did something similar to the resection - our old school farrier called it "...he's been "graveled"...". He had been to some classes/certifications not long before he he was back out to do a current trim, trimmed him and asked about "resectioning" his hoof. We had to talk to O, and scheduled it for 1 or 2 weeks later. It was a bit different, not as high as the horse in the video posted, but opened up the fronts of both front hooves about 1/2 way up. He put a "support" of a product in the bottom of the hoof, then applied another product to the opened and cleaned hoofs in the front. Then shoes were put on, too, to support the whole thing. He was never lame, but the bit of extra weight made him raise his fronts higher while trotting, LOL. He was checked every 2 weeks and shoes were removed and he was trimmed at 6 weeks. Shoes back on (the horse had ALWAYS been barefoot before this procedure), then rechecked - 2nd trim was @ 4 weeks.

I have pics but not nearly as clear or easy to see as the video posted... Found it - it was in 2007 - November. Here is the Blogger Post I had then. I wish I had more notes and more pics, but unfortunately I didn't. Our lives change completely just 2 short months later when our daughter was caught by a portion of a tree that broke and landed on her back. She had emergency SX, and the boarded horses and almost all of our ponies were "farmed out" for a good portion of the year of 2008 so that we could deal with our daughter's physical rehab (TIME). BTW, she healed up fine and of our 3 daughters, she is still the most physically active - participating in karate, silk roping, aqua-acrobatics and works out...

http://paintedponys.blogspot.com/2008/10/news-from-2007.html

Our other daughter's 1/2 arab mare also had issues. I'll have to find the pics... Think I still have those since they are much more recent. She was opened up, too, but no products used for support on her - just opened up and allowed to grow back. She was put into a dry lot feeding situation and had the dryest pasture during the rains.

Latest posts

Back