Hoof help needed

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wewindwalker

Reaction score
My mare Donna started limping and doesn't put alot of weight on her hoof. When we trimed her hoofs we found this...... Do you know what it is or what to do to help her???? I'm talking about the dark line with the cracks in it at her toe. Help????!!!

f0af1ac3.jpg

f0af185e.jpg

f0af19b8.jpg

f0af1964.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, that is where the laminae has separated (torn) from the hoof wall (post-laminitis). It's also known as a "stretched white line". Also, see that red dot right above where the laminae is separated? That is most likely an abcess coming through.

Liz R.

So liz what do we do to fix it?

If she's limping, she may still experiencing laminitis. Can you feel any warmth in her hoof, or a digital pulse? When I went through this with my horse, she had separation in all 4 feet. What about her other front hoof - does that one have separation, too?

I'm sure others will chime in, but I'll just say what I would do if it were me.

I would call my vet (page her) and let her know to see if she wanted to come out today (emergency) or wait until Monday. I would also call (page) my farrier, tell him what was going on and email the pictures to him for review.

Liz R.

Liz is exactly right.

You need to soak this in warm epsom salts and then get some icthamol sauve and squirt it down in there in those cracks real good. That draws out the back yuk. And then wrap it up in gauze, vet wrap and then repeat once a day with this.

It has an appearance of a seedy toe. Generally caused by overgrowth of the hoof wall and is pushed away from the softer tissues by the weight of the horse..Laminitisis usually the first sign of a seedy toe.

Was the mare lame before you trimmed her? What you see is called seedy toe where the laminae separates from the wall. She may have been experiencing a laminitic attack, and there may be an abcess involved. I would contact your farrier and have him check it out, and definately contact the vet!!!!! The vet should priscribe the medication. You can soak the foot, soaking will never hurt. I would keep her on soft bedding or pad it when shes out. Oh, by the way that red spot is a bruise which is common, and the black cracks which may look yucky are normal with this type of foot. The toe needs to be backed up from th front.

Linda B

I don't know but it looks painful to me.

It is on all four hoofs,she started limping last week. She is trimed around ever four months. We have been putting medicne [Koppercoat] on it and soaking it and keeping it clean.

If it is in all four feet CALL THE VET!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Looks like laminitis and is nothing to mess with on your own. Linda B

Update: The farrier was here today, in fact two of the top farriers were here and she does not have seedy toe but did have a case of laminitis. She was trimed very short on the front and the hoof was packed with a iodine pack and a foam pad and wrapped with duct tape. She has silver booties on now. lol. She sould be better in a week or two.

Thanks for the input.
default_yes.gif
:

Thanks for the update - the foam pads (styrofoam) work great! I had quite a bit of success with the styrofoam pads as well as dental impression material (information can be found on www.hopeforsoundness.com )

Glad to hear she's going to be okay!

Liz R

Latest posts

Back