Honest Critique

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Miss_Fortune

Reaction score
Id like an honest Critique on this mare. Im a strong girl I can take it. Dont worry about hurting me, Im just trying to learn.

Shadow.jpg

Im including a second photo because in the first you cant see her neck or shoulder too well & she isnt standing very square.

100_1820.jpg

Please be honest.

Thank you.

Lorna

Sorry, I am not one to do conformation critiques as I'm not that great at it yet,
default_unsure.png
: but I did want to say that I love her markings!
default_yes.gif
:

Her head looks a bit plain but that could just be the white throwing it off.

She needs more muscel in the rump.

Could use a longer neck.

NEeds her feet worked on. THey are trimmed wrong, need less heal and not so clubby looking.

SHe looks alot nicer in the second pic then the first. I am guessing she is still a young mare?

I think some conditioning would do alot to her. Over all she isnt bad.

Overall she is a very nice quality mare and should do well for you. She seems very balanced and correct and has good bone. Her feet don't look trimmed very well in the second picture but okay in the first picture. There isn't much I don't like... she doesn't have a very "pretty" head though and her tail set could be a liiiiiitle higher. She looks healthy and well cared for, which is most important.

I think if she was set up a little better her tailset would look better, as her heel is cocked in one picture and she is standing under herself in another. I bet all cleaned up for a halter class she would look amazing!

Andrea

I love her color and think she is very proportional.

I don't like the way her neck ties in. It looks possibly like she toes out in the front (? looks like her toes are angled out kind of) and she looks a little over at the knee.

I very much like your mare, and I very much like what I see conformation wise. I find her striking and very well proportioned, this is a quality mare. Are you thinking of breeding her? If so do you have a stallion already in mind, yours or someone elses? Can you tell I like her
default_yes.gif
:
default_wub.png
:

[SIZE=14pt]The second pic of her is the best. Everything is lovely except her feet. Her face marking makes her head look larger than it is but it happens to be one of my favorite things. I love lots of face white but it can be distracting to the eye. Her neck is a nice length, clean and ties in well to a nice shoulder. She is short backed, has a good strong hip and a pretty good croup. Tail set could be just a little higher for me . Her feet are at a terrible angle and need to have those heels lowered. The feet almost look clubbed and in the second pic with her standing that way she appears sickle hocked which I dont believe she really is. Get a better farrier out or at least tell him to lower the heels gradually but significantly.[/SIZE]

I like this mare, She is balanced.

Lyn

Though your photos are better than many submitted for conformational critique(good for you!), with only essentially un-squared-up side photos, it is not possible to see whether her legs are straight 'in all directions', but they appear so, from the side. I agree about the really BAD,high-heeled hoof trim in the second photo-it needs to start being corrected, NOW!(Boy, do I see LOTS of improperly-trimmed feet on minis, both in the flesh and in photos...makes me crazy!) I also agree that the tail set might be just a bit low(but no biggie). Where I would fault her 'most', from the photos presented, is in being a bit short(shallow) in the hip(point of hip to point of buttock)-and, a bit straight in the shoulder-and,in having a somewhat plain head, including a slightly improper ear set. None of these are BIG issues, though, IMO-- she appears overall pretty balanced, however-length,tie-in, and cleanness of neck are good, and proportionate. Based on what I can see in the photos presented, I wouldn't 'turn her down' to own and/or breed(and believe me, I am FREQUENTLY not willing/able to say that about mares I see, either 'in person' or in photos!! )It looks to me as if you have a pretty darn nice mare....might not be a big halter winner in today's 'trendy' show ring, but nice, all the same--congratulations!

Margo

Thank you for all the replies. I am actually in the process of selling her, & wanted to know what Im giving up. Now I realize she is better then I thought, and I wish I didnt have to sell her.

Thanks again.

Lorna

Edit to ad- Yes I realize her hooves need work, we are getting it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back