Homeowners insurance

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ms THE

Reaction score
I had a problem with my homeowners (bill was mailed to wrong address) so I found out last night I don't have coverage. My agent wouldn't help me last night so I called another agent (a customer of my mom's). They told me they would provide me coverage last night so I told my other agent thank you but I got coverage last night. The new agent just called and went through the complete questions and there is a snag. She doesn't know who she will get to cover me due to 1 the horses and 2 my dogs. I have 5 dogs, a 10yr old pitbull (that has no teeth and arthritis so bad he can barely walk), a 7yr old Jack Russell, a 4yr old Doberman (who is afraid of her own shadow), a 3yr old American Bulldog/pitbull mix (who would lick you to death) and a 7 month old Jack Russell. All are spayed or nuetered (except the puppy who will be when she goes out of heat) and none have ever bitten anyone. I have never had a claim before on homeowners. Has anyone run into this problem before? I am working on a policy for my horses now anyway, my old agent never even asked about them.
no.gif

I am an agent but I won't say what company. For many insurance companies, horses and dogs are an additional risk for the liability aspect of homeowners insurance. Many companies will no long accept clients with Rottis and pit bull or any dog that has ever bitten anyone. I'm not familiar with PA but most states have the Farm Bureau(not my company). I have several friends with farms and one does dog rescue (22+ dogs at any given time) and all use Farm Bureau. I hope this helps a little.

When we moved to our new house with the horses, State Farm dropped us because of the horses. None of the "farm" name companies would insure us either. We finally found a company that was more then happy to take care of all of our insurance needs (house, car, liability, etc.). We gave it all to them and they have been good. I won't say their name here but I will tell you they are nationwide.

rolleyes.gif

strangely I contacted my auto insurer and sure enough the were able to get a company for my homeowners and because everything is done through them we get some good breaks......the horses were not a problem.....I have chow dog's at various times and they aren't a problem with this company.......we use this company at work too for some of our bizness insurance......

Check you phone book for agents that deal with "local" mutual companies. Their used to dealing with farm and animal situations. We are the reasons companies like this exist.

I do not have home owners but I do have renters and liability type insurance from State Farm and More coverage the before Also at 1/2 the cost I am sure glad I switched

We are now just going through a similar problem My stepmother officially owns the family farm ( let's not go there!) My husband & I reside in 1/2 of the house as we moved back to help my dad when he bacame ill

The insurance company that covered the farm was sold & the new agent did a "drive by" I crack up --we live 1/4 mile off the road so it is impossible to see the property unless you trespass!! He said they would not cover the farm because we have 'dangerous " dogs & livestock So.... My husband & I have to get renter's insurance to cover the "livestock" a horse 2 ponies 2 minis and the dangerous dogs We have 6 dogs- 2 Labs 1 Siberian & 3 german shepherds ( the wrong breed to have to be insured!) However My Shepherds have all worked full time in hospitals with kids and 1 is nationally known But the issue of banning breeds & discrimination is another can of worms! Bottom line is it is costing us all a lot more $$

omg. I've never heard of such a thing! Is this really true?! We have Farmers insurance and I don't remember who we had for our last house, but they never even asked us anything like this! I'm just amazed.
new_shocked.gif

Farmhand said:
We have Farm Bureau, they cover the Farm, house, and cars. We are very pleased with them and they saved us money.
yes.gif

510689[/snapback]

We have Farmer's also
yes.gif

We have State Farm... & have had no problems. They know we have horses and other livestock. Grazing animals they do not seem to mind..I know as I have talked in length with both the agents up at our old farm and the ones down at our new farm.

No problems.

However we do not have dogs.. and I know they will not keep people insured if they have certain breeds of dogs.

We have all our insurance with them and have had them for 14 years now. So far am real happy with this company.

Latest posts

Back