Homemade Foal Resesitator

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kaykay

Reaction score
Someone asked me to post a picture of this a week or so ago.

My dang camera batteries are dead so I took the pic with my phone and uploaded to facebook but it made the picture really small. Sorry! Hopefully you get the gist. I cant take credit for this as years ago my friend Ginny Boyle showed me how to make one. (ginia here) I have only had to use it 2 times in recent years but always have it in my foaling kit. It really forces air into the lungs when you breathe through the small drinking side. I always cover the cut end in duct tape as that is what goes over the foals muzzle.

foalbottle.jpg

Thanks Kaykay!! These tips are always GREAT to know in advance, in case needed!

Thanks for the tip! I grabbed a water bottle off the counter and made one in about a minute. Will go right into the foaling kit.

Becky I its the regular size water bottle. You just dont want a larger size bottle.

I have a water bottle right next to me. Guess where it is heading!! In my foaling bag after I cut it in half!

Praying none of us need it but if you do its sure nice to have. Last time I used it on a red bag foal and he revived right up. He was born with the blue tongue hanging out etc.

*always clear mucus first!

Had to use one last year, and it worked !

remember not to give up to soon, worked on a foal for over 5 - 10 minutes he was limp and my husband said he was gone.

I would not give up.

rubbed him, put a blow dryer to him, kept breathing into him, and massaging his heart, he is alive today and doing well.
default_yes.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the tip. For sure I will be making one and will be thinking of how to make one for puppies as I have had to do this a few times but just blowing into their wet noses. Question I have is there a wrong way to do it? Or just to put it over their nose and blow into it? Never had to do this but wasn't sure if you breath into them a few times and wait or just keep doing it on and off til hopefully they breath. sorry so many questions new to all of this and want to learn as much as I can.

thanks

Back