Home heating bills this winter,

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frankie

Reaction score
I think we should all put our heads together, list even the small things that may help us all out with heating bills this winter. We have propane gas.
new_shocked.gif

I hate smelling kerosine, but we may run ours when it gets to the furnace running all the time. But not sure of those prices and if it helps. As far as keeping costs down.

We're in Indiana, it can get bitter and WITH WIND!

So, whatcha got??????

My rent just went up 25 dollars that is only the second time in 10 years. I am at 400 a month now and the owner Pays for the heat
biggrin.gif
.. He locked in the LP Price at $1.54...And said if and when the prices come down He will lower the rent to reflect the drop...I have a good landlord...Been here now for ovewr 10 years and have my minis right here with me..Great deal in the cold winter moinths of wisc. for sure.

Our first winter up here we died from shock over our heat bill using the central heat and air.

We quickly went to gas on everything possible including the stove and got that big ugly eyesore of a gas tank delivered.

We fill up our gas tank for $500. a year and it lasts all year long, can't complain.

Lots of people use fireplaces and wood burning stoves too but we don't have that.

Living in Montana where it can get pretty cold and with predictions that our heating bill will be increased by 70 % we are going to be keeping our thermastat at no higher than 65 and layering clothes! Sweatshirts are nice and warm and inexpensive. We have a nice new large insulated house with large windows to the South that really warms the rooms up nice during sunny winter days but when it is really cold we plan on shutting off rooms we don't always use to conserve on gas. Heard on the news last night that we will have plenty of gas, it will just be high priced!! Wonder who is making all the money and why the invcrease if there is plenty? Mary

Here in NY it can be brutal in winter. We heat with a pellet stove and use propane for a back up. I figured this winter would be awful as last winter wasn't too bad for us on the NY/Pa border.

In July for the last 3 yrs we have signed a contract with our propane company locking in the price as long as it is prepaid before Jan of the next year. For 2 yrs it was $1.39, this year it's $1.69. I'm happy with that. 1200 gals = $2028 we owe them about $388 and then it is paid for.

There are 7 tons of pellets in the barn ready to heat also at $165/ton = $1155. So...our hope is by doing this we end up saving in the long run. I know that a friend of ours paid over $5000 to heat their home and they were still cold. Not me...it hurts to be cold so I need my heat no matter the cost.

Everything we have at the moment is electric. If I could get my husband to leave the thermostat at 68-70 we'd be ok, but he gets cold and cranks it up to 75-80.
new_shocked.gif
I can't stand it that warm, but he won't grab a blanket or put on a sweater, of course he's cold, he's on the couch watching TV.
rolleyes.gif
It doesn't help my computer room is right next to the furnace room, so it stays warm even though I have the vents closed to this room. It would stay even warmer if my husband would finish installing the window in here; the window is in place, but there is no insulation or trim work, yet.
no.gif

Wood, lots and lots of Wood. I have 2 wood stoves. one in the basement and one in the living room. I like it really warm. 75-80

Our house is totally electric, but here in northern Wisconsin, it can get brutally cold. We built this house about 15 yrs ago, and at the time my son owned a insulation business, so needless to say our home is well insulated. The highest our electric bill has ever been in the coldest of winters has been about $225.00, but that is EVERYTHING. We do have 2 fireplaces, but one is also electric , so that dont count, should really pull the darn thing out and get rid of it and have hubby put in a second wood burning one. Our other one is a good size wood burning one and we do have quit a lot of cords of wood , split, all ready for winter use. I have heard about all the utilities going up but havent heard anything about electric..but you know its going too!! Guess we will all be wearing our long underware
wink.gif
We are also checking into a outdoor wood stove, but being that we are electric we dont have any of the vents or pipes to hook into and the price quotes for our house has been from $15,000-20,000.to do all the extras, so I really think that idea will be going down the tubes!!
no.gif
I dont like it warm in the house and am comfy at 60-65 --darn good thing this year!
wink.gif
Now if I could only get Bob off his butt and get new windows in throughout the house I would be happy! Corinne

Latest posts

Back