High Hopes Auction Results

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am an eternal optimist too!
default_smile.png

Sad the prices at High Hope but I believe this is typical for them this time of year and should not be used to compare quality/prices of other sales and horses. A well bred, quality horse is still a valuable asset to anyones breeding program and the market overall.

Beth
You are absolutely right Beth, couldn't agree more. I think the market for well bred and quality horses is overall.

A

I think what would help at an Auction is to have different starting bids.

Can an Auction do this?

Such a waste of time when people want something for nothing.

I would like to see this at the Harriston Auction in Ontario.

Owners tell the Auctioneer their starting bid.

First 20 horses starting bids are $1000.00

Next 20-30 horses $500.00 starting bid.

No starting bid for the rest of the horses.

Just giving an example for prices?

Do you think this might help? People would have to be serious if they wanted a certain horse.
default_wink.png
:

Not sure what will help
default_rolleyes.gif
:

Auctions in my mind are going to get a good Deal

I am like several others on here&will not be breeding any mares for 2008.I refuse to take nice quality(good conformation &pedigree)all shots,coggins, feet trimmed all year, wormed and handled daily to an auction and get $200 for them.There seems to be less market each year for the middle priced horse($3000-$5000)for well bred quality animals.I have several nice homozygous blk&white mares with blk&white homozygous fillies at side for sale, but am fussy about where they go.I owe it to my horses to find a good home for them when they leave here.I hope the market improves.I know I will lose money on them, I just hope it is not big bundles,just small bundles on money.

Several of those at the Little King Sale did not bring enough to cover the sale commission and the stud fees they were carrying or out of, plus transpartation, grooming, etc.......

I think the thing most are forgetting is that people go to these sales and auctions to find a bargin the prices are usually better then if they went to the sales pages of the farms selling. So I don't believe that auctions are a true reflection of what the market really is - there are always going to be horses that sell for a couple of hundred and those that go in the thousands with the majority being in the middle be it minis or large horses.

However of course we are still back to square one with minis being basically a breed to be bred.

Those poor prices are definitely sad for the market but auction prices usually go low anyway. Most folks seem to feel they are cuts unless an auction is a going out of business sale.

Joyce

I have been going to this sale since it's beginning, but must say I was unable to attended that last 3 because of other priorities (they have 2 sales a year May/October).

I was very disappointed that the quality was very lacking in comparision to previous sales that the Williams' have put on. It was extremly sad to see a very nice yearling Little Kings Robobuck granddaughter sell for less than $500.00. Then a filly come into the ring that was in poor condition bring more than the Robobuck granddaughter. There were a 28" 3 yr old mare that was very high in the butt that brought over $1000 just because of her color-palomino.

A lot of consignors took their horses home. Probably one of the highest number of POs that I've seen in a long time--15.

High selling horses were:

A 3-n-1 package and a mare with colt at side for $1200.00 each

A beautiful yearling colt, grandson of LK Leatherwood Buckeroo sold for $1000.00

It sure made me stop and think about how many mares I'm going to breed back this year.

Auctions are good places to find a bargain -buyer beware....but true. I have found some wonderful bargains at sales, plus I can see and compare horses in one place when shopping for a new horse. With gas prices going higher, lots of people, including me, can't drive from farm to farm to see what is out there. I have bought on the internet and paid higher prices and thankfully that turned out most of the time better than I anticipated, but not everyone has faith to buy like that. Plus shipping can be so costly. If you can go to the sale and bring your own transport, then you are truly getting a bargain.

I know in our area lack of rain is becoming a major influence in the animal market overall- goats, cows, horses. Lack of pasture and winter hay yields being low causes a lot of people to have to make hard decisions. My hay man is charging more and he is getting only half of his normal cuttings. We have sold more horses at lower prices than we wanted to pay the hay bill already because our pastures are drying up and we have to feed hay now. We have doubled our hay order this year just to be sure we can make it through.

But next year might be different, and I hope it is.

Latest posts

Back