Hi again, got another question about an old horse & a cough

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

~Karen~

Reaction score
We went to see a 20 yr. old horse someone wanted to introduce to us last Sunday. It was pretty cold out and when he was being ridden, and was asked to step it up into a fast trot, he began coughing. He didn't cough when just standing around, at a walk or even a slow trot, but only when he began moving at a fast trot. The man told us that it was due to the cold air. I honestly don't have a clue, but in talking with someone, he said that he may have been ran too hard once and broke his wind and if that is so then any time he breaks from a slow trot he will cough. IS this true? Or could it be something else? Or could it just be the cold air?

The man is selling him. He very seldomely rides and doesn't want the feed bill any more.

Although old, this gelding was so gentle and allowed my daughter to practice reining on him. He tried to do everything she asked of him even with all of her mistakes. He neck reins and was wonderful. But when he began coughing every 4-5 steps it concerned me.

(BTW.... I backed out from getting the mare with the hurt tendons. We were riding her and no more than she was ridden, she began limping a little after about 40 mins. of easy riding. She also balked a couple different times, trying to buck me off. Just wasn't worth the problems.)

Hope all are doing well. You are all probably wishing for steady warm weather like I am!

My preschool has picked up really well, I've had to hire an assistant and I have a CDA student volunteer working here as well. I am so busy it leaves me wore out most of the time. But this summer, my assistant and I should be able to tag team it and I will get to get off work around 1:30! YAY!! Would sure beat getting off at 6-6:30. But I love my job, and wouldn't want any other.

Last edited by a moderator:
Could be a lot of things, could be heaves/COPD.

I'd be pretty careful unless the price is really, really right. I've had a few older dead broke horses given to me over the years because people knew I'd treat them right and give them a forever home. Those are really nice animals to have, especially with you having kids. You can't make them work too hard but they are the best to learn on/with.

[SIZE=12pt]Could be a collapsed trachea also. I have a stallion who was recently diagnosed with the collapsed trachea. At this stage, he is fine when just standing still or moving slowly. When he starts running he eventually starts coughing and has to stop and get his breath. Just standing and looking at him you would not know anything is wrong.[/SIZE]

This horse could have been injured at some time. Or yes, it could be heaves.

Good luck,

Barbie

Yup, all of the above. Walk away from this one too Karen if you want a riding horse.

I just wanted to add that it could be something as simple as allergies. Not sure what part of the country you are in but here in Central Fl it has been dry and we've had such extreme temp. changes. My 23 yr. old QH gelding started with a minor cough two days ago and I've checked him all over and at this point feel it is nothing more than allergies.

Also if it was cold outside some horses will cough at first when asked to work.

Thank you for your input. Greatly appreciated.

We have been getting some very fluctuating weather here too. 60's 1 day and 30's the next day at times.

The price is really good, actually. $500, but that includes a Connie Combs saddle in excellent shape, bridle, halter, and the horse.

His teeth are needing some floating done, but that isn't too big a deal, they look healthy other than that.

The cough sounded like a dry cough as well.

At this time we are looking for 2 horses. 1 that is "dead" broke (LOL, what a term!) and a well broke barrel horse. I'm not looking to pay much for the "dead" broke horse, but will be paying considerably more for our daughters barrel horse.

Well, gotta go for now, preschool is keeping me soooo busy!

When you go about selecting your well broke barrel horse, be really careful about checking out their knees.

Good luck - I think it's fun to search
default_smile.png
!

We had a schooling horse that when she got older she started with a cough when trotting, vet checked her told me to keep her hay watered, it helped alot, she ended up living until she was 25. I know a lot of horses with heaves have a problem keeping weight on. We had no problems with this mare and weight.

Good Luck, Kathy

When you go about selecting your well broke barrel horse, be really careful about checking out their knees.

Good luck - I think it's fun to search
default_smile.png
!
Thank you for this information. I will do my best to.

Latest posts

Back