Hey Susanne are you still looking for a barn?

• Thread starter Triggy&Blue&Daisy Too
  • Start date
Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
T

Triggy&Blue&Daisy Too

Hey Susanne,

Although we built this for our maxi horses I think this would be a really great little barn for minis too. I know several forum folks have built carport barns so this is our version of it. From start to finish it took me, and 8 really great friends
default_whistling.gif
:, the entire weekend to build and my next door neighbor and I designed it over our weekly dinner together much to our hubbies dismay
default_rolleyes.gif
: It is two 12'x 20' car ports made by VersaTube joined together. We added the exterior green panels and painted the plywood interior to match. It will also have electricty and water in a few weeks too :bgrin I still don't have bedding down yet but the mare's like to hang out together by the fence at night anyway.

It has two 12'x13' (whoops that should read 15') open stalls on each end and a 9'x 12' mid feed and tack area that accomodates over a ton of hay. The total cost for the entire building with everything was slightly less than the frame work for one of those portable stalls made by Noble. I've dubbed it the mare's "cottage." What do you think? :bgrin

Copper is such a ham, she loves to be involved in everything...

copperbarn1.jpg

Copper's bedroom...

copperbarn2.jpg

Looking out from the feed room, this is the feed slot to load their feeders...

copperbarn3.jpg

Daisy's bedroom...

copperbarn4.jpg

Last edited:
WOW. :new_shocked: SWEET! Can I show my husband????
default_wink.png
:

MA

Wow, Shirley! That's really great! I'm going to sshow Keith and "steal" your idea...

With that barn and some more fencing, just imagine...more minis, and at least one big horse...

Triggy, I've really missed the boat here! :new_shocked: Is that at the rescue place still? What made you decide to keep the girls outside? Fill me in, I've missed the last two chapters apparently! LOL

Leia

Oh that turned out awesome!!!!!!!!! Our mare lot has an 18x20 (or close to that) carport that is closed at one end and lined with plywood. For the minis, it is HUGE and I am happy to have it
default_smile.png

Hee hee, Susanne I like your train of thought. We got them at Homedepot, my other home besides the stable, and it all went together like an erector set with just a few common hand tools. The kits come with roofs so you only need to add sides if you desire.

Leia, Yes I'm still at the same place. The big barns were nice but this way my friend does not have to go to extra bother taking them in and out or trying to rush back out to get the horses in when it pours. Daisy is a lot happier not being confined and now they have the fence between them they can visit without me having to worry about them injuring each other. It's the best of both worlds but can bring them back into the main barn anytime I want if the weather gets too extreme next fall or winter. I was given the paddock and can do anything I want within reason as long it's portable.

That is TOO SWEET!

How much did it end up costing for just the carports(s).

I would like to do a run in for the large horses in the summer and store my trailer etc. in it in the winter.

THANKS for posting!

Whitney, We got them for $800 each, not including tax. VersaTube also makes run in sheds and horse barns specifically for horses and they are still more reasonably priced than other portable horse shelters. The website is http://www.versatube.com

Shirley - Your barn turned out great! I love it! :aktion033:

We have thought about putting one of those up too.
default_smile.png

Shirley, that is just too cool! I was thinking yesterday amidst the rain and flooding if I only could have another barn on the high ground! Hmmm got me thinkin! I'd have to sell a heck of alotta stones tho!
default_rolleyes.gif
:

Can you tell me the model # from Home Depot? I want to get some estimates about cost. We are not only looking for a future additional barn, but also a carport. Thanks. :aktion033:

OH I like that a lot. I really want a wood barn, but the budget isn't there.

I like your idea... a lot easier to put up too!

Will have to check out that link, Thanks!

Thats what i've been wanting to do.

All the way down to KY we passed these carports for sale. Most ran around $750 each but the larger ones ran around $1250 each. I want to get 2 and put them together and build 5 mini stalls inside and have room for my cart, harnesses and feed room. I just need them to wider then 12ft, so i was thinking about instead of putting them both end to end, put them side by side so they make a square instead of a rectangle which would give me 3 mini stalls on each side (id only need 5 horse stalls) so the room left = tack, feed, hay and water area.

Does TSC sell them? They had a bunch for sale down in KY but i cant find any here anywhere??

Where can you buy them at?

Yours is neat!

Leeana H.

Triggy&Blue&Daisy Too said:
I was given the paddock and can do anything I want within reason as long it's portable.
Aaaaaaahhhh...now I get it.
default_yes.gif
: The places I've seen are usually emphatic about not modifying their setups to suit particular horses so I was trying to imagine what must have changed for you to be able to put up a new barn of your own. Sounds like you've just got a really nice barn that thinks in terms of "your pasture for as long as you use it" instead of "our property you're lucky to be allowed to turn your horse out on." Too cool. :aktion033:

I completely agree about the benefits of a run-in setup. You'll note from your visit that that's what all our horses have.

Leia

Although we didn't get ours at Lowes, here is a pretty descriptive link. http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=bran...&brandpage=vetu Homedepot in our area orders from a versatube dealer in So WA so they don't list it on the main website, you'd have to call your store and ask the special order desk if they sell the aluminum carports.

To find out where VersaTube sells in your area you would have to go to their site, www.versatube.com and locate a local dealer who can tell you what stores they sell them to.

Leeana you can get them much wider, I think up to a 30' span. The carports are much less money than the actual made-for-horses shelters that versatube makes and that is why we went with the carport style instead.

Thanks everyone for the nice compliments, I am very pleased with it and the girls love it. The only thing I have a concern about is if it rains really hard and the noise on the roof scaring them. I'm sure they would get used to it but I may get some of that solid foam board insulation and attach it to the underside of the roof to dampen the noise if it turns out to be a problem. The hard foam will keep the starlings from ripping the fluff out which tends to be a problem when using regular fiberglass insulation.

Leia, The barn owner is really a super wonderful person and she totally relates to spoiling your horses as much as you can and how crazy we horse people are anyway. I still have indoor stalls but I love having the girls out and I'm sure that is where they'd rather be too.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back