Hernia

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kdbj

Reaction score
Just got my new colt home today and I notice he has a small bump, maybe the size of a nickel, right in front of his privates opening, is this a hernia? Ironically enough, after all these years have not had one of these in the past.
default_wacko.png
:

If that is what it is, now what??

Thanks!!!

Nope, its not his umbilical stump. Closer to his sheath opening. Real jiggly, almost like a bubble. Does not seem to bother him at all.

???

Could you post a pic??? My arabian had a hernia from birth, she had her hernia surgery when she was 6 months old. It would help to see a pic. if you could.

~Anna~

could be the little guy was born with a small hernia, not at all uncommon, and as he grew it closed but left a littl bubble of fat on the outside. If it is a "real" hernia you would be able to feel a hole in the muscle of the belly.

You can palpate it...feel it...and see if it is solid or if you can gently push the contents back into the abdomon. Likely, if you the can push the contents back in, it could be a small loop of intestine and should definitly be seen so an ultrasound can be done to determine exactly what's going on and treatment options considered.

Good luck!

Latest posts

Back