Henry Boyd Carriage Driving Event

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MiniHGal

Reaction score
I know its been a while since I’ve posted…life is busy! But I did want to post about the Dr. Henry Boyd Memorial CDE (carriage driving event). I have tons and tons of pictures; I apologize in advance…but I did resize all of them! I don’t even have the pictures from Cones—they are not currently in my possession.

In any case, the Boyd CDE lasted from Aug. 3-6 at Woodside, CA, a several hour drive from home. There were over 60 entries, and 6 of those were VSE (one Training, four Prelim, and one Intermediate). There were lots of Training and Prelim horses and ponies, with several pairs and one tandem. There were 11(including me) Intermediate competitors, with 3 pairs included. We arrived (my mom and I) on Wednesday night, around 10 or so, as we had a very late start getting on the road. With as much stuff as we have, it’s a good thing we no longer show out of a 2 horse trailer with no dressing room! Thursday dawned bright and chilly; fortunately, dressage did not start until about 12, as only Training level and all the VSEs(Very Small Equines)—except for me—were to drive that day. This gave my mom plenty of time to warm up, and allowed us to groom and be ‘go-fer’ for each other.

My mom drove Dan at the Preliminary level—his first time at Prelim, and his fourth driving show. He did pretty well, considering the size of the event and his amount of experience at shows. They sat in fourth after Dressage, close behind the next competitor. Dan got lots of compliments on how beautiful he was.

Then came Friday. Friday, all of the Preliminary horses and ponies, and all of the Intermediate competitors drove dressage. The order of go listed me as last, in a class all my own—Single Intermediate VSE. Just in front of me were: Walt Rector, Diane Kastama, and Fritz Grupe….lets just say those are HARD acts to follow. Diane’s going to the Disabled Driving World Championships, Fritz is the National Pairs Champion, and Walt is also a very high level pairs driver. Rather humbling to go out and drive my dressage test after them. But we did it. And not too badly either; right on the high(high=bad, low=good) end of the average scores for Intermediate. Hopefully we will get better. Interestingly enough, the average time taken to drive the test we drove was 8 minutes; we did it in 11 minutes…the head judge thought it would take 16 minutes ( I didn’t think so).

Because there was no official course walk, we were very glad we had brought bikes, as the Horse Park sprawls over a bunch of rolling hills. Walking hazards (to choose the best route) is not something I would suggest by moonlight! The hazards were excellent, with plenty of routes and a good mix of technical and tight, and wide open and flowing. The course was absolutely gorgeous, as the Horse Park is meant to be a multipurpose facility and is huge. As I was, again, last, after all of the competitors, I was a little worried about the footing, especially in the water hazards and on some of the course. My mom was second to go, so she had a nice packed course to play on.

Early in the morning (9:05), my mom and Dan drove off on the marathon, starting Sect. A. Because she had to borrow my marathon cart (hers developed a problem that rendered it unfit for marathon), she took it nice and easy in the hazards, which didn’t help her score any, but Dan looked very nice. Then we sat around and watched other marathon gos, enjoying the variety of turnouts.

Finally it was my turn to hitch and go—after putting on a new glue shoe on Fascination and rebanding her braids. Of course, we were early, so we spent a good half hour walking around in circles, waiting for start of Sect. A. Since Intermediate VSEs get to have a three section marathon (A, D, E) instead of a two section marathon (A and E), we had a walk section this time! (Sect. A is a trot section with no hazards, D is the walk section, and E is a trot section with hazards) Our marathon was a nice long one this time: 2.9 km Sect A, 1 km Sect D, and 7.3 km Sect E, for a total of 11.2 km on course, and a time around an hour and 15 minutes—by far the longest anyone would be out on course. Our marathon go was one of the best we have ever done—she was smooth and responsive with lots of speed (which she never lacks). Our total marathon penalties (calculated off of the time spent in hazards) was about 50, which was the lowest of all the Intermediates—meaning we were the fastest overall in the hazards! Looking at the scores later, Fascination and I were 3rd fastest in two of the six hazards, 2nd fastest in one, and the fastest in 3 of the 6.

Coming into End of E (end of the marathon), Fascination was only lightly sweated and had plenty left. This earned us the Best Conditioned Horse award, which was a horse heart monitor from Carriage Driving Essentials. Haven’t tried it yet, but it should be awesome!

Finally it was Sunday, cones day! For once, my mom and I hitched and drove at the same time that weekend. Cones was a sprawling course, only tight for horses in a couple of spots. My mom, having little to lose, went all out and cantered the whole course, and went double clean (no course or time penalties). Her time was faster than most of the horses. I drove more conservatively than normal, trotting most of the course, and only galloping a couple sections. But still, I think we were one of the fastest times. We also went double clean.

At the end of each class, they handed out the ribbons and read the placings. My mom was third out of four in Prelim Single VSE, and I was one out of one in Intermediate Single VSE. However, after cones, I was second overall in the Intermediate division (out of 11), and first among the singles. The top Intermediate driver was Fritz Grupe with his amazing horses—I am very pleased to be anywhere near his scores! Fascination is one of the first Intermediate VSEs in the US, certainly the first in CA. I don't know whether any other events have actually offered Intermediate VSE.

So there you have it….exhaustingly long and probably way too much information. Never mind that, pretty pictures to follow!

And the URL links have more pictures that are cool to look at, but I didn't want to put that many pictures on here!

Dan:

Walking out to the warm up ring:

ed9496b0.jpg

He was a little bouncy at first...

ed9496ae.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid2...70/ed9496a9.jpg

But got better:

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid2...a4/ed9496a1.jpg

ed94969c.jpg

And in dressage, trotting around the arena:

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid2...b9/ed949699.jpg

Showing off a very nice lengthened trot:

ed949696.jpg

And marathon--trotting into Hazard 4:

ed949692.jpg

Entering the water in Hazard 4:

ed9496c3.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid2...00/ed9496bf.jpg

And cantering out of the water in 4:

ed9496ba.jpg

Trotting out of Hazard 5, "Stumphenge":

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid2...a5/ed9496b5.jpg

And now for Fascination and I:

Thursday workout, dirty harness and marathon cart:

Practicing the beginnings of a collected trot (it is going to be a long time before she is strong enough to hold a lot of collected strides, but we are getting there):

ed9489fc.jpg

And some lengthened trot:

ed948b3c.jpg

ed9489fd.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid2...c1/ed948b35.jpg

And some working trot (a little stronger than I would like to see):

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid2...e3/ed948b3a.jpg

And dressage on Friday:

Working trot:

ed94965a.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid2...ae/ed949668.jpg

Lengthened Walk:

ed94965d.jpg

Head Study, with her pretty little braids (yes, the forelock is supposed to stay down, but it didn't):

ed949660.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
And the rest of the pictures:

This is Fritz Grupe and his horses:

ed949673.jpg

Diane Kastama and her imported Welsh Cobs:

ed949670.jpg

Walt Rector with his horses:

ed94966b.jpg

Now you see why we braided...we fit in better!

Marathon:

Hazard 2:

Tearing it up (her favorite thing):

ed949649.jpg

ed948cd5.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid2...4a/ed94964d.jpg

Hazard 4:

ed948cd2.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid2...fb/ed949682.jpg

Coming around to Gate B:

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid2...73/ed948cce.jpg

Coming out of the water:

ed948ccb.jpg

Hazard 5:

ed948cc8.jpg

Full stretch for the exit:

ed948b44.jpg

Slowing down for a turn:

ed94967d.jpg

End of E. She is licking the shank on her bit--that is her tougue you see peeking out of her mouth. She does that occasionally when we are standing.

ed949659.jpg

Hi Bre long time no hear ANYTHING- what have you been doing- hibernating
default_smile.png

Great to hear everything is going so well- now, what about the big fella???

It's particularly warming for me to see all this sort of thing happening without a blander or a checkrein in sight, I love it.
default_yes.gif
:

Fascination is really going well - is she a little over stretched perhaps or had you intended her head to be right down there :lol:

No really, I'm just being picky, they both look really good, welcome back and we want "Big Boy" pictures as well, pretty please.

It looks like you really had a good time!

Thanks for sharing the pictures :bgrin

Champ

Is really nice to hear from you again and you are not kidding you have been busy!

Looks like a lot of fun was had all the way around. Love all the pictures!

What kind of collar is Fascination using because it doesn't and sort'a does, look like the Euro collars.

Where did you get it and how do you like it?

All I can say is WOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOW

:new_shocked: :new_shocked: :new_shocked: :aktion033: :aktion033: :aktion033:
default_wub.png
:
default_yes.gif
:

Now that is what DRIVING horses should look like!!!! You go girl!!! Great pictures and story behind them. I wish there were some events closer I would sooooooooo do that instead of show.

outlaw

:aktion033: Your pictures really tell a story, you and your horse look fabulous, so does Mom lol. The grounds where the event was held look awesome, would love to have a place like that to drive. Also nice that you and your Mom do it together. Loved the pictures of the big horses too. Thanks for sharing.
default_yes.gif
:
default_yes.gif
:

Yvonne

Oh golly!!Those horses are gorgeous!!! Very nice!!Hope you share more next time!!!
default_yes.gif
:

awwe yeah im with ya tristyn on that one very cutee
default_wub.png
:
default_yes.gif
:

EEEEEE!!! I can't even think of what to comment on first, there's so much to say! First of all, Dan has FAR surpassed Kody at this point. We're still at the very beginning regarding shortening and lengthenings and I'm not likely to see quality movements like that until this winter when my trainer comes back from the East Coast and can really work with us. You go Dan!

Second, Intermediate VSE is being regularly offered at Happ's now. No one has yet entered it to my knowledge but there is at least one single who really should and a pair that probably would by next year. I'm excited that the option is now open for us to move up. Actually, I wonder if the single will give it a try at the unsanctioned VSE Driving Trials in September? She very well might. Hmm.

Coming into End of E (end of the marathon), Fascination was only lightly sweated and had plenty left. This earned us the Best Conditioned Horse award, which was a horse heart monitor from Carriage Driving Essentials. Haven’t tried it yet, but it should be awesome!....

At the end of each class, they handed out the ribbons and read the placings. My mom was third out of four in Prelim Single VSE, and I was one out of one in Intermediate Single VSE. However, after cones, I was second overall in the Intermediate division (out of 11), and first among the singles. The top Intermediate driver was Fritz Grupe with his amazing horses—I am very pleased to be anywhere near his scores!
Breanna, you should be so proud of yourself!!! That is incredibly fantastic and I'm just jumping up and down with excitement. I know a lot more this year than I did last year about what that accomplishment really means and I am in awe of everything you've done. Especially since your competitions are a bit more formal than ours and involve the high-level drivers with flawless turnouts like that. Happ's really focuses on encouraging the green drivers through the levels and Maureen has expressed no interest at all in attracting the advanced and world level drivers, but that means the turnouts tend to be less impressive at Happ's although there are some nice Intermediates and a lot of fine Friesians. But you've really got to be every bit as good as the best of big guys or they won't take you seriously down there.
default_wacko.png
: And you do it! :aktion033:

Fascination really BOOKS, I love how much she stretches out as she runs. I'm afraid we probably won't do as well at Prelim as we do in Training even once the movements come together because Kody just doesn't understand the concept of speed. He does this great smooth working canter with flying lead changes and everything, but he has no understanding of galloping even when he's in his pasture. His only faster gear is "greyhound" and that involves him lowering his belly to the ground and racing like a madman and I don't think I want him doing that one in harness! LOL. He'd have no balance for turns. Oh well! We'll just have to be REALLY good at dressage so the penalties from marathon don't kill us. At least he's very agile and his turns are tight and getting smoother. You are definitely an inspiration and act to follow.
default_yes.gif
: :aktion033:

I believe I recognize that collar as being the one you rigged up for your wheeler Elvis when you were doing tandem, right? Did you find they worked better in it? And if so, how come you haven't tried moving to a full padded collar yet?

I'm intrigued that Fascination has glue shoes. How have you found those to work for you? Kody absolutely hates rocks and will insist on walking any section of trail that has them and won't trot through water for the same reason. He knows darn well there are rocks under any wet surface and it hurts his feet! I'd like to help him with that but don't like the easyboots and won't shoe him. Can you tell us more about them?

Congratulations on everything and I'm so happy you took the time to post! We've missed you!
default_cheekkiss.gif
: Busy or not, you get your rump on here to post every now and then, okay? Your pictures just go to prove that I am NOT the Lil' Beginnings CDE expert (which I knew) and we need your advice more often.

Leia

Oh, by the way- does anyone ever hassle you over your unusual marathon vehicle? I'm curious since I use the Hyperbike on course.

Breanna, those are incredible photos! I love the ones of your little Fascination galloping thru the water...WOW! Awesome, awesome job for the both of you. Very VERY inspirational! :aktion033: :aktion033: :aktion033: :aktion033: Thank you so much for taking the time to come on and post your story and pics. I am terribly impressed!

I believe I recognize that collar as being the one you rigged up for your wheeler Elvis when you were doing tandem, right? Did you find they worked better in it? And if so, how come you haven't tried moving to a full padded collar yet?

Leia
Leia,

Did Breanna make that collar? WOW!

Because I have been looking for something like this.

Was interested in the Euro collar but I have had quite a few people contact and am quite sure it would not work for Maggie.

Hey guys....glad to see some enjoyed the pictures...that's what they are there for!

Dan is 33.25" and Fascination is 35"...at the last mane hair.

Great to hear everything is going so well- now, what about the big fella???It's particularly warming for me to see all this sort of thing happening without a blander or a checkrein in sight, I love it.

Fascination is really going well - is she a little over stretched perhaps or had you intended her head to be right down there

No really, I'm just being picky, they both look really good, welcome back and we want "Big Boy" pictures as well, pretty please.
Ah, Jane, don't worry, you will see Gabriel pictures soon enough...he went to his first 'playday' to grounddrive and did amazing!!

And I like the pictures of the big guys because they really show that you can have a rather high headset WITHOUT any checkreins...ever.

Well, in pretty much all the dressage pictures, her head is right where I want it--she needs to be worked with a lower headset until she has the right muscles built up. We are getting there. And the lengthened walk, where her head is way low, is a good example of a lengthened walk--they are supposed to really reach for the bit, and follow it down. Obviously they don't want you to move like that during other gaits. Hey, picky is good, you know that! LOL

Leia, Dan's only started getting a good lengthening in the past couple of months or so...he has a long way to go, but he is getting there! I am sure Kody is not very far behind...he's sure got the potential as well. So no one has entered an ADS recognized event as Intermediate VSE up there yet? Hmm, well I hope it will happen soon!

I'm intrigued that Fascination has glue shoes. How have you found those to work for you? Kody absolutely hates rocks and will insist on walking any section of trail that has them and won't trot through water for the same reason. He knows darn well there are rocks under any wet surface and it hurts his feet! I'd like to help him with that but don't like the easyboots and won't shoe him. Can you tell us more about them?
Yep that is the same collar. Shari, I did not make it...my gosh I wish I could do something like that! Lois Anderson, of Tanglewood Farms Miniature Horses, custom made it for Elvis last year. I don't know that she is making them for public sale, but if you PM me I would be happy to see if she would like to give you some more info. She calls them a California soft collar.

Fascination only works in the soft collar now, as she goes much better in it and it allows her more freedom of movement. She really likes it and it seems to fit her very well.

I do not like the look of the full collars on minis--too heavy and bulky...proportions aren't right. Also, they are harder to fit as well as heavier than the soft collar. The soft collar is very light and stays in place well--no turned hairs, no pressure points, or anything.

Leia, I really, really like the glue shoes. Fascination wears them because she really grinds down her front feet when working because she is such a big mover. Unfortunately, we have found that dampness and lots of work tend to make them fall off/tear off faster. Without any work on rough surfaces, and during the summer months, a set will last about 4 weeks. With lots and lots of driving, they tend to come off within a couple of weeks. However, they do not hurt the hoof wall in any way, so you can glue them right back on. It is, however, a very good thing that my mom can do all the farrier work and can put the glue shoes on.

They are made out of Vettec Superfast, a whitish glue that sets within a couple minutes that you can rasp to shape. Best thing next to real shoes that I have found. Only thing that keeps her feet from wearing off.

Oh, by the way- does anyone ever hassle you over your unusual marathon vehicle? I'm curious since I use the Hyperbike on course.
No, not anymore...but we do have steel wheels and a 'basket', so its all quite obviously legal (nothing says you have to have a basket, but it is a 'safety issue' with some of the people). Plus, we added a singletree, as the collar has to absolutely have a singletree, so they can't even say anything about that. I do think they would make a fuss about the Hyperbike, but then again, maybe not.

Thanks all, I really enjoyed this weekend...and I still haven't tried out the heart monitor...oh well!

Yep that is the same collar. Shari, I did not make it...my gosh I wish I could do something like that! Lois Anderson, of Tanglewood Farms Miniature Horses, custom made it for Elvis last year. I don't know that she is making them for public sale, but if you PM me I would be happy to see if she would like to give you some more info. She calls them a California soft collar.

Fascination only works in the soft collar now, as she goes much better in it and it allows her more freedom of movement. She really likes it and it seems to fit her very well.

I do not like the look of the full collars on minis--too heavy and bulky...proportions aren't right. Also, they are harder to fit as well as heavier than the soft collar. The soft collar is very light and stays in place well--no turned hairs, no pressure points, or anything.

!

Maggie needs a different shaped collar. I have not found a full/work collar and hames that would fit her correctly...you are right...they just do not seem to fit mini's correctly.

For a while I have been looking at the Euro collars.. I like the idea. But now that a few people have bought them..so far they are not impressed in the quality or the way is doesn't really fit minis.

Your design is the first I have seen that really fits a mini....and think that will be perfect for Maggie. If your harness maker will make another one. :bgrin

Fascination looks really good in that harness!

Congratulations! Your horses are beautiful and the pics are great. The CDE's look like so much fun! I do eventing w/ my throroughbred, and would love to try a CDE with the minis one day.

Thanks for sharing, that was fun to read and look at!

Fabulous write up and photos! Thanks so much for sharing them.

One question, why do you prefer to drive without blinkers/blinders? I drive w/out a check rein but do use a bucking strap and blinders but I am a well documented whimp. ;)

Shari, you have a PM coming.

SkipsMom, I prefer driving my horses, at least initially, without blinders so that they can get used to pulling a carriage behind them, in plain view. Think about it, what if your horse rubs off the bridle, or something breaks or whatever, and suddenly, your always blindered horse is blindered no longer, and he has this thing attached...can you say wreck? Now obviously, most horses get it pretty well figured out what is back there, but still, it is one more safety thing.

Now, on the big horses, I would like to move them into blinders after having been well trained without them--best of both worlds. The horses generally seem to like the blinders, or at least don't mind them, so they get to use them. The minis, however, seem to enjoy looking at stuff, and Fascination really doesn't care for blinders(she has driven in them). I have met a few that really like the blinders though.

It is mostly an opinion and training thing. Fortunately the ADS is very lenient on that sort of thing.

Buck straps are good pieces of equipment.
default_yes.gif
:

Latest posts

Back