Help with color

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

runaway ranch

Reaction score
Angelscolt51107010.jpg

This colt born this morning is out of a sorrel mare and my Sligo Eclipse (in my avator). Any ideas of his color? His mane and tail are silver, he has striped hoofs and appy eye.

Looks like you have a cute Silver Bay colt! :aktion033: Your mare is probably carrying Silver. (it can hide on red).

He might be a silver bay, but for certain he is a doll-baby- what a cute face!

im nto really sure about the color, but he is a nice looking colt!...i wouldnt be suprised if you found spots in the future.
default_wink.png
:

I'd also say he's an ADORABLE silver bay.

from the looks of it, daddy is black app? so the mare would have to carry silver and agouti. cool!!!!

default_wub.png
:
default_wub.png
:
default_wub.png
: congrats on him.

I also think you have a silver bay colt (CUTE!) with the appy characteristic from his daddy. The silver has to be coming from the mom and since she's sorrel/chestnut - you don't see the silver on her.

The striped hooves could be from either an appy gene or a silver gene or both.

Is the sire a blue roan appy? If so, that is where the agouti (bay) gene comes from and for some reason your boy isn't showing the roan......although that may develop later.

MA

I agree with what Dona said -- silver bay (and adorable) foal out of a mare who's carrying silver
default_yes.gif
:

I agree with what Dona said -- silver bay (and adorable) foal out of a mare who's carrying silver
default_yes.gif
:

I vote for the silver bay also. He's cute so congratulations.

Joyce

Is the sire a blue roan appy? If so, that is where the agouti (bay) gene comes from and for some reason your boy isn't showing the roan......although that may develop later.

MA

That makes no sense to me? "blue" roan is a black roan... to be black, no agouti. So agouti wouldn't come from the sire, it would come from the dam.

Jessi

"Congratulations!" Lisa,

He is one handsome little man! Can't help you with the color but I will "maybe" have a better idea when I can see him in person.

I agree with everyone else, from the pictures he does look silver bay!!

You are certainly having some beautiful foals!

What a cutie :aktion033: Will be interesting to follow the coloring as it changes. Spots would be cool later on
default_yes.gif
:

MA

That makes no sense to me? "blue" roan is a black roan... to be black, no agouti. So agouti wouldn't come from the sire, it would come from the dam.

Jessi

His sire is the Black App in my avator

What a cutie :aktion033: Will be interesting to follow the coloring as it changes. Spots would be cool later on
default_yes.gif
:

I have gotten emails from people who own Sligo Eclipse off spring and some have spotted out as late as 3-4 years. I think this boy will spot out too.

It looks like dad is a bay blanketed going roan. The baby may color out as it gets older or when you shave it the color may be hidding. Dont be surprised if next year you have color. My big Appaloosas that had the roaning gene changed almost every year. Lorie

Latest posts

Back