Help with 4 month old orphan foal

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

catherine65

Reaction score
Need advice: I rescued a 3 month old weanling colt. He was born March 12. I have had him for almost 1 month. He was with Mom and other minis, but his mom was sold off and I was told that he was weaned. I have found out since then he was not weaned and basically when I went to pick him up he had been stripped away from mom that day! He is eating hay and alfalfa, but will not eat grain. The vet says he looks good and not to worry about him not eating grain right now. I have 2 other minis: 3 year old gelding and a 13 month old colt. Both of them want nothing to do with him. My baby is in a pen,because he has never had any human contact and is scared to death. I have been going in the pen and working with him slowly. I wanted to know if he needs to have a buddy in the pen with him? Will he be okay with just me bonding with him? When he gets a little older and he isn't so scared I will let him out to be with my other minis. Just worried that when it comes time to let him out they will not accept him. I do therapy with my minis, so eventually he will be a therapy horse. My thoughts are that if I can get him to bond to me it will make him a better therapy horse. Just want to do what is best for him. If I should get him a buddy do I get an older gelding or yearling ? Just not sure if I really need to get him a buddy since I am at home all day and I go out there often during the day. Would appreciate any help from anyone!

Thanks!

Thank you for all the help!! It is nice to know I can call or email you if I have any questions. I believe with lots of love and patience he will be wonderful!!
default_biggrin.png

Kudos to you for taking this little guy in and I wish you both the best.

Have you considered that with all the upheaval in his young life he might have ulcers? That would cause him to not want grain. In addition to standard ulcer medication (e.g. Gastroguard) you might want to try a product called Stomach Soother (google it) which is simply pureed papaya but helps with appetite, ulcers and a host of other issues.

Can he see your other minis? Horses don't need to be in the same enclosure to feel like they "belong" to the herd. This is also a good way to slowly introduce them to each other before you put them in together. I always introduce new herd members by putting them in with the lowest ranking herd member first and gradually moving up the pecking order over many days.

You are obviously getting all the help you need with your little fella - I just wantd to wish you good luck!
default_yes.gif

Anna

Latest posts

Back