Help! Trying not to panic but why mini eat poop?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shasta

Reaction score
Ok, please don't murder me on this post but my mini is eatting its poop. I haven't noticed but my husband is home right now and he says she is eatting her own poop! What? why?

She has huge pen, salt block, water, gets alfalfa hay 2x a day, 16% grain, beet pulp and Red Cell. Oh and we just got a 4-wheeler and that is great fun to use for workout!

She is a yearling..

Thank you in advance!

Last edited by a moderator:
From what I've heard and seen......horses will eat poop when they are bored. Maybe she needs some grass hay to munch on during the day or some toys to play with.

I had one that was doing that. I started turning her out more and feeding her more grass. She quit.

Normal - especially if they have eaten something yummy the first time around, especially lush green grass........ Jeffers has a powder that you sprinke on feed that is suppose to alleviate that. I asked about it yesterday on the forum. Product name is For bid if ya wanna try it.

Just ignore it. She may be bored or smells something that got through the first time. Won't hurt her a bit.

She could also have a gut flora imbalance and be trying to add bacteria to her digestive track. If that's the cause probiotics will fix it.

Thank you for the tips...Makes me feel better anyhow...Toys..I was told not to turn her out in a pasture for she will get super bloated. Do any of you turn your mini's out when you are not showing them? I will be showing my mini at some fall schooling shows but nothing major until next year!

aktion033.gif

Lewella said:
She could also have a gut flora imbalance and be trying to add bacteria to her digestive track.  If that's the cause probiotics will fix it.
469850[/snapback]

Latest posts

Back