Help!!!!! School rankings!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bcody

Reaction score
Help please! We are moving to Maryland in a couple of months. We are trying to find the best schools for the kids within 30 minute drive of where my husband will be working (Pax River.) It seems every web site I go to has a different system and different rankings. How do I find out which schools are considered the best?

We are going house hunting in a couple of weeks, I need to know where to look!

Thanks,

Barb

Sorry, I put this in the wrong place, could someone move it for me?

Last edited by a moderator:
Help please! We are moving to Maryland in a couple of months. We are trying to find the best schools for the kids within 30 minute drive of where my husband will be working (Pax River.) It seems every web site I go to has a different system and different rankings. How do I find out which schools are considered the best?
We are going house hunting in a couple of weeks, I need to know where to look!

Thanks,

Barb

Sorry, I put this in the wrong place, could someone move it for me?
Have you checked the individual school district websites for that area? Look as much for what they don't post as what they do post...
default_wink.png
Make sure you are clear on what you consider a good school, the best? Test scores, awards, National Board Certified Teachers, graduation rate, low transfer rate...I live in a community with 3 different school districts. Each has their own different strengths and weaknesses. You can find parents and teachers in all three districts that would say their's is the best. Test scores and rankings on the web, don't give you the sense of community.. Some depends on what age your kids are... Also, can your husband contact people at the new job site and ask them their thoughts... ?

Warning: we live in an area that is growing tremendously. People come in from out-of-state and from all appearances..maps, neighbors... and what the realtor tells them...their kids will be able to go to the new neighborhood school which is within walkling distance. -- Only to learn once they move in, that the boundary lines were changed due to overcrowding and the kids are being bussed across town or just the new kids must go to the school across town. I've seen this happen a lot. Make sure you check with the local school district to make sure you get a confirmation that your child would be in that specific area and/or school... Otherwise, all your research may be for naught.
default_smile.png

Best wishes!

Becca,

Thank you! A few things I had not thought of. Definatly have added all that to my notes!

Have you tried greatschools.net? If not, that's a good starting point. From there you can narrow down school choices then call the schools you are interested in for more detailed information. Good luck!

Thanks Nuzzle, I did try greatschools.net, then I found schooldiggers.com. The data was not exactly the same. Great schools is suppose to have parent comments, but they were all from 2004 and earlier? School diggers did have test results and statistic from 2008. This is so hard! I want a good academic school, parent friendly and kid friendly. We will be visiting three schools when we go out and house hunt. Thank you for the response and the help, I really appreciate it!

We have moved a lot. Each time we moved I used Greatschools.net. The scores were my first criteria. I went with the schools that were 8 or higher out of 10. After that we would drive around the community checking out the neighborhoods and exterior of the schools. That would narrow it down a little bit more. Finally I would go to the school for a tour. If the prinicipal and staff were friendly, welcoming and informative it would narrow it down even more. I always took my kids with me to get their feedback and feelings when we toured the school. I felt they should be included in the process. I have always been happy with our final decision never regretting where we settled.

Hope this helps.

Sue

Back