HELP , Pneumonia in 3 Week Foal

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zipper

Reaction score
A friend of mine who is a first time mini owner bought a mare and she had a foal. He was doing great then all of a sudden when he was drinking

milk was pouring out mouth and nose. She called the vet right away. The vet came out twice that night didnt know what it was. Told if they wanted

to save foal would have to go to Guelph. I guess in the morning when she came out the foal was better but now the vet said he is fighting pneumonia

from the milk going down in his lungs as she thinks now the originial problem was something stuck in throat.

The vet left a antibotic Excenel and give him half a ml in the morning and see if he makes it.

Her husband is upset and wondering is there not a stronger anitbotic or one for pneumonia or something else they can be doing for this little guy.

He is 3 weeks old and weighs 32 pds. Any suggestions or help please.

I will pass it on to her. Thanks so much everyone. I told her about all of you and she should join as everybody uses their own experiences to help

everyone.

It sounds like he choked, which also happened to one of our foals at 3 weeks of age. Ours ended up in the hospital because the vet was unable to resolve the choke right away, but even so the big danger is pneumonia. Ours was in the hospital for several days being treated with antibiotics so he wouldn't GET pneumonia and still was getting treatment when he came home.

I would call another vet - I don't think you want to fool around with pneumonia in a young foal.

Latest posts

Back