HELP PLEASE, PROBLEM WITH COAT COLOUR & REGROWTH

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WJS

Reaction score
default_saludando.gif

PLEASE ADVISE, I have a cracking black stallion ( well I love him)
default_wub.png
that I would like to show this year, over the winter he had some health issues causing sweating and lost most of his hair on his back and patches every where else, with help from my vet the hair has grown back but the new hair is black and the old is still brown now clipped.

I really want to take him out next week but would like him to look one colour.

I have already tried "just for Men" on his mane and tail and tried a patch on his coat.... but not good enough.

Can anyone offer any advice.

many thanks

wjs

How close did you clip him? If you clip him with a 30 or 40 you might get close enough to blend the colors together. Just make sure to keep him out of the sun for a few days to prevent burning

When is your next show?

If you clip him with a 30 or 40 blade, make sure to give plenty of time for hair growth, plus a reclip with a regular 10.

I'd also keep him out of sunlight between 9 a.m. and 3 p.m., but for longer than just a few days. In fact, I would do it for the rest of the season until you're done show him.

We had a black stallion early on that we would put into solid color classes......By keeping him out of the sun, but letting him run outside at night, he kept his wonderful shiny black color and would often win the class.

default_wacko.png
I did not think of that, show is Sunday, will clip again tomorrow using a finer blade, I had used a 10 blade yesterday.

Both your views are appreciated.

Thank you.

wjs
default_wink.png

If you only have ONE WEEK before show, clip him with a 15 now........a 30 to 40 is almost down to the skin and you won't have time for hair growth. He'll look almost like a MOLE RAT. (If you had a few weeks, I'd say do the short clip....THEN, a day or two prior to show, run 10 blade over him to smooth things out.

Hate to tell you, this clipping won't be great for you........but if you plan to show him a few more times? Every clipping will give you an even BETTER coat.

PS: If you do the 15 blade today........Go over him again a day before the show with the 10 blade. If his mane and and tail are sun bleached, color them. And if you plan to show him again....keep him out of the sun, like we did. Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back