Help needed

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SammyL

Reaction score
Hello all,

I was wondering if you can help me with something. My boyfriend asked me if I wanted to do something on Friday, and I told him I would ask my parents. They said it was fine, but now the question, what can we do? We went hiking in the Wildlife Refuge the other day, and we went to the movie, "Over the Hedge" just last week, and they haven't changed the movies yet. We live in a very small town, and there is not much to do. But we usually find something. I was thinking we could hang around my house and play with my horses and possibly watch a movie, but we can't do that. My parents or siblings have to be home when I have Phil over, and no one will be home Friday..so dash that.
default_wacko.png
:

So any ideas? Maybe we could go to the park....But I don't know...so help would be appreciated. Can you tell I am a little desperate?
default_wink.png
:
default_whistling.gif
:

Thank you!

:saludando:

I should add that if at all possible I would like to do something that doesn't cost anything, or very little. He insists on paying for everything, and it is a battle I have tried to win, but can't. He is trying to save, and I don't want him spending money on me...Thanks again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I give your boyfriend a lot of credit. Seems like he is on the right track of how to treat a woman.
default_yes.gif
: I also want to give credit to your parents, especially if you are under age. It seems like so many parents out there just don't care about what their kids are out doing (I work with teenagers, so I see it first hand).

As for dates. My first date was to the movies when my now-husband and I first got together. The second one was going to a park and just hanging out and talking. We sat at the picnic tables and talked. Then we went over and he pushed me on the swing for a while, then we just swayed on the swings and laughed/talked and just shared stories. After that, we did start doing other things but I live in a really boring town with very little to do, so things seem like they just start running out. We would just hang out at the house, playing games, watching TV, or renting movies. There are plenty of cheap or no cost things you can do, like maybe go get an ice cream or play miniature golf (if you have this close by), go for a nice walk (I know you already mentioned hiking but things like this never gets old), go bowling or just go and "pretend shop" in a store. I wish I could give more examples of what to do, but I don't know what sort of options you have open. Anyways, have fun.

If he lives close enough and you have a driving horse...

You could go home by yourself and get your driver ready, then drive to his house, pick him up, and go for a drive.
default_yes.gif
:

Sorry, I'm not much help.
default_rolleyes.gif
:

ETA: Are you allowed to go to his house if his parents are there? You could do the movie plan there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Some people don't like this, but fishing can be great fun. I love to fish. Take some snacks and drinks, You could pack the two of you a nice lunch or dinner. Worms cost about 3 dollars for 2 dozen, and those can last all day unless you are catching alot of fish.

Thank you for all the help.
default_smile.png

If he lives close enough and you have a driving horse...
You could go home by yourself and get your driver ready, then drive to his house, pick him up, and go for a drive.

Sorry, I'm not much help.

ETA: Are you allowed to go to his house if his parents are there? You could do the movie plan there
No, sorry, I do not have a driving horse... :bgrin ...and his parents have the same rule as mine do, and I don't think anyone is going to be home at his house either...we can't win..lol.

Well I give your boyfriend a lot of credit. Seems like he is on the right track of how to treat a woman. I also want to give credit to your parents, especially if you are under age. It seems like so many parents out there just don't care about what their kids are out doing (I work with teenagers, so I see it first hand).
Yep, my parents laid down the line, and I love them for it. His parents have that same rule too.
default_smile.png

I think maybe, if it's nice out, I'll ask him if he wants to go to the park. That is starting to sound like fun!

Keep the ideas coming and thanks again!

:saludando:

How about going to Walmart together and picking out a board game to play. Packing a pic-nic lunch full of goodies and sitting in the park on a blanket and playing your board game?

Find out if he likes to play cards. He can pick you up and you guys can go to one of the retirement homes and play some cards with the old folks. They are a blast and have a ton of stories. It's really a lot of fun. They know so many different card games and they really do enjoy when kids come around and hang out. Call one of the directors and see what's available. You guys could then go to dinner (that's your out so you don't have to feel guilty when it's time to leave) These old folks just sit around all day with nothing to do and a lot of them don't have any family alive still or they just don't come to visit them. It would be a very different experience, one you will have fun telling to others, laugh at for quite some time, but most of all you will stay out of trouble and have a good time all at once. They really love the company. And hey it's free. You might even end up with a once a month card night with the old folks. :lol: They like treats too. Peanuts, bridgemix, mints etc.....Well good luck and have fun! :saludando:

Since you live in a small town with not much to offer in the way of intertainment you need to create your own. I myself hate dating as it puts too much pressure on you to come up with something. I am sure there are other kids with the same problem you have so here goes my suggestion. Get a group of friends together and come up with things to do in the park. Picnic or barbeque with cards, frisbie, softball game, basketball , any team sports.

Several good ideas have been offered.

If either of you have a hand-held GPS unit (or can borrow one), go to geocaching.com. It's a great outdoor game, very addicting. If there are areas to hike near you, there are most likely some caches hidden close by as well (just search by zip code). All you'll need (in addition to the GPS unit) are some inexpensive trinkets for swapping (we use fishing tackle) and a pencil. Hubby & I used to spend way too much time caching.
default_yes.gif
:

I was just wondering what ya'll ended up doing yesterday???!!!
:bgrin

He talked to his Mom about our dilemma and so she invited me to supper so we ended up watching a movie and eating supper with his family. I had lots of fun, I really love his family.
default_yes.gif
:

Thanks for the ideas everyone! I appreciate it.

Ok, this is going to sound totally geeky, but are there any small museums or historical points?

I think a fun "date" is to go to them and enjoy the displays, etc.

Take a little tour and/or just meander through at your own pace. Of course, I am lucky in that this town provides a LOT in that respect being the oldest settlement West of the Rockies, there is the Maritime Museum, Flavel House, Ft. Clatsop/Lewis and Clark monument, Ft. Stevens, Heritage Museum, etc. etc. and some of them are free or next to it.

Another thing we like to do for a "date" is to just walk through some of the nicer neighborhoods and look at the landscaping/architecture (there is a plethora of beautiful Victorian homes here, too).

Find some things that are unique about your town (small festivals/events/historical points/wildlife refuges) and check them out...?

Liz M.

I am late getting in on this topic as you've already had your date.

When I first starting reading this topic, two things came to my mind.

Somebody already mentioned one......fishing. When hubby and I just started dating, we went fishing a lot. It can turn into quite a fun, relaxing and or adventurous(sp?) day. There could be hiking involved, picnicing, playing in the water, swimming.....all kinds of fun.

Another thing we used to do is what we call "crittering". Go to the dollar store and get some long handled nets and some plastic containers. Go to a pond or creek and see what kinds of critters you can catch. Pick up rocks in the water to see what's hiding underneath them. You can get tadpoles, frogs, newts, crayfish, snails, and all kinds of fish. You can buy yourself a book describing pond and creek life with pictures and try to identify what you have caught. If you have an aquarium with a pump laying around, you can set up a "native tank" with different kinds of critters you've caught. My daughter and her bf did this a couple years ago and they kept mostly baby catfish. We just got rid of one of their "babies" and it had grown from a tiny little tapole of a fish into about a 10 inch long catfish. :new_shocked:

You could also buy a book on wild plants and flowers. When you take one of your walks, collect different kinds of plants and try to find them in your book.

Nature sure can be a lot of fun.

Take up birding.

Thank you everyone for the ideas.

Driving home from our date with his family, I asked Phillip if he wanted to go fishing sometime, and he readily agreed. So that is what is planned for the next time I think. We both love nature, so we try to be out of the house as often as possible.
default_yes.gif
:

Thanks for the suggestions!

:aktion033: Picnic, hike, berry picking, [then make pies to share] horse shoes, badmition, swimming, local historical sites. or library or book store, . See if your local town has a summer music or movie program. Ours has both, all free.

Latest posts

Back