Help my recued minis have lice!!!!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

royalview

Reaction score
:new_shocked: Help last week I picked up a bunch of very skinney minis. I was only supposed to take 3 but took ten Ive placed most of them but today I decided to give head and neck clips to the two mares Oh MY LOrd!!! Crawling head to tail with lice. I totally clipped them and put seven powder on them. They are in the quarintine stalls anyway but Im not sure what to do next. They are just started on food on thursday and I dont know if I dare to worm them yet. I have the creapy crawlies since I came in from the barn and immidiatly took a shower. Its only 45 degress here so I dont dare to bath them yet but the first hot day they are getting a bath. My poor skinney girls I was appaulled at them being half starved as it was but now this YUCK Any suggestions?? Help!!!

If it's that cold, so you can't bathe them, all you can do is powder them like you have........also, Ivermectin kills certain types of lice as well.....but do it carefully so you don't do a sudden worm kill on them and have them colic.

Kuddos for all your good work with them........

Good luck,

MA

Hey there-- So glad you picked them all up - thats terrible!!! Depending on how long they have had the lice they may be anemic (spelling is probably wrong on that) There is a spray you can get that clears them up pronto on the coat - I cant remember the name of it (Jen would probably remember) Its actually for dogs - the vet recommended it also there is a shampoo that is designed to clear it up too. Poor little minis :no:

Good luck

Julie

I just recently had a bout of lice here as well from a new horse I picked up, it made me crazy to think this whole time I thought the horse just really really loved it's neck scratched LOL! Did a head and neck clipping and EW EW EW just crawling with lice!

First of all, check ALL of your horses to make sure the lice didn't transfer onto any other horses. Second, just remember these are horse lice, they wont transfer onto you. I mean they can fall or crawl on you but you wont get infested. I called my vet and she said to use Frontline spray (Even though it says for cats and dogs it works for all animals) once a week for 2 weeks, and to de-worm with Ivermectin Gold and follow up with a second dose 2 weeks later. I did that and voila, my horse is lice free!

Last edited by a moderator:
:aktion033: Thanks Guys It has given me the creepy crawlies since I found them. I feel bad but I totally body clipped them both and put the seven dust to them. Julie, if Jen can remember the name of that stuff let me know. I am waiting to talk to Dr J. to see what he recomennds, he and I have been playing phone tag all day. I have them in a quarintine area which are cement stalls with cement floors with mats so the next warm day (LOL) Im going to pressure wash the stalls with a little bleach too. Ive got their brushses seperate and bought two more gallons of bleach to keep the brushes dipped. Ive never had lice here before Its creepy!! :new_shocked:

I had purchased a mare one time that was covered in lice- despite the chilly weather, she was clipped and then shampooed with tick/flea/lice shampoo, then dried and dusted in Seven. Never had another problem. However, I had not exposed her to my stable area either and had to disinfect/de lice the area she was in

GROSS!! :new_shocked:

Kathy-

Its the Frontline Spray that you use for dogs. (I tell ya old age sets in and the memory is the first to go
default_wacko.png
: )It works really well and fast. Then worm them a couple of times - with a couple of weeks inbetween with the ivermetrin wormer. Just feeding them correctly will help with the blood levels if they have had lice for a lengthy time.

I am so glad you got them-- :aktion033: Now they will be on the road to recovery!!! Make sure you take before and after photos. It will be amazing to see the difference.

PS I am so glad that the breeding horse mill place (our favorite place!) near by didnt scoop them up - they would of really been hurting units.

Julie

Beleive Me Julie, I didnt want them going there either. Ive got all but one dropped off in great homes and Im keeping two. They look so pathetic but one good thing about totally clipping them they now look like little skinny horses not little skinny GOATS!! LOL I have pictures of them from before they were in this condition, Thats the only reason I bought them. They certainly dont look like that now I did take lots of photos because if anyone stops here and complains Ill be showing them pictures to back me up. Also all my horses are hog fat. Ive got to get Jen over soon to do some feet. There are still minis at that farm. I think that might be on its way to working its way out though.

Lice are common... but yes, gross. I am scratching right now! LOL

You had horses to resuce and didn't call me to help??? Awwww! I'm a sucker for that!

Good luck!

And as for that horse place... we go there often and sometimes it breaks my heart... but we've been lucky and found gems there too.

Latest posts

Back