Help me out, I so can not remember

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frankie

Reaction score
Prints is way off this morning, waiting on vet.

She is 2.

She is not eating at all, I know she is hurting as she is pawing the ground.

Poo a little soft.

But her gum color is too light and for the life of me, it's just not coming to me, why?????

No fever, no change in food, eyes are clear, no nasal discharge.

Thanks so much,,,,,,will update more after vet is here.

Horses that are not feeling good in general can have pale gums, and it can also be a sign of low red blood cells.

Hope your horse recovers quickly!

Capillary refill time (CRT) is the amount of time it takes for blood to return to the blanched tissue of the gum and indicates how well your horse’s blood is circulating. A CRT of more than 2 seconds may indicate your horse is in a physical state of shock.

To take your horse’s CRT, lift his upper lip, press your thumb against his gum and hold for two seconds. After lifting your thumb, you should see a white print in the gum. This spot should return to pink in 1 – 2 seconds.

Knowing what your horse's normal gum color is good so you can compare. Some horse's gums can be naturally paler than other's.

Super pale gums can mean intense pain/shock and means you need a vet.

MA

Ulcer...ask about the carafate/sucralfate..I think...kiss her for me....sending light.

Hoping little Prints is feeling better and the vet had some magic medicine... Please keep us posted on how she is doing.

oh geeze I hope the vet gives you some insight. I don't like this side of having a horse :no: Please update us when you can :bgrin

Last edited by a moderator:
Right now she is a touch worst.

We are treating for both colic and ulcer, just in case. But she still has not eaten.

We're giving her until tomorrow at noon.

No rolling, no temp, just not eating.

I sit down with her and she justs puts her head over my shoulder and stands there. I hand fed her for a long time when she was born and she always did the shoulder thing.

Thanks for your thoughts and ideas, much appreciated.

oh geeze I hope the vet gives you some insight. I don't like this side of having a horse :no: Please update us when you can :bgrin
isn't that the truth!! every morning, in the dark, as i walk out for chores i say a silent prayer that everybody is ok.

carolyn, i hope your girl is feeling better by now!

Good luck and I hope that she gets better! We had a mini mare that was lethargic on Friday and wouldn't eat for the morning feed. She just wasn't herself. She didn't try to go down or roll, she didn't paw the ground and she had gut sounds. We treated for colic per the vet's instruction with banamine which allowed her to sleep but we lost her that afternoon. We aren't really sure what happened to Cocoa but she went quickly. I sincerely hope that Prints gets back to her old self soon and you don't have to go through what we went through.

What did the vet say?

Last edited by a moderator:
[SIZE=12pt]Hi-[/SIZE]

I've been dealing with my mare Treasure for the last 2 1/2 weeks. The vets are not sure if colic or ulcer, but she has been oiled twice. She still is not back to normal, but as of last night seems to slowly be on the mend. After e-mailing Robin the other day, Treasure is getting only soaked beet pulp and alfalfa cubes. She is out on pasture during the day and does get some alfalfa 2-3 times a day for a snack. I'm giving her 2 Zantac twice a day (although I am going to switch to Prilosec 1 time a day). I also have given her BL Solution as a mild pain reliever. A friend of mine brought me a bottle of Papaya juice on Friday, so she is getting that twice a day also. This treatment does go against what the vets told me, but my thinking is, she wouldn't touch the diet they wanted her to have and wasn't getting better and at this point is doing better.

Good luck with Prints - hope for a good report today.

Barbie

Thanks so much for sharing your ideas and suggestions, I appreciate it a lot.

We do believe it is an ulcer, and believe too we are ahead of it.

She did eat small amount of grain this morning,,,, :aktion033: and a touch more this afternoon,,,, :aktion033: and almost regular amount of hay both times.

I do well with any horse that is sick,,,,,,but with Prints I admit panic hits me first, then I think,,,,,,,with the others I think, take care of it,,,,,then get a tad emotional.

Prints is just, well,,,,,,,mine,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,you can ask her if you don't believe me,,,,or Debs will tell you. :bgrin

Hoping for even better tomorrow!!!

YOUBETCHER buns she is...my wee godfurdaughter is very special and I worry about her maybe as much as Caro does. Caro, I know with you loving and caring for her she'll be right as rain soon, still sending the good stuff nitely, kiss her from me again.

You know I have 2 furgoddaughters...both weren't supposed to live but against all odds did and are thriving. Your Printcess was first, then Heather's Rose came along last year...something about those 2 red pinto sweeties just is in my heart for all time. I love them like children.

I'm so glad to hear she is doing better - I kept checking, and when I hadn't seen anything, I feared bad news!

Latest posts

Back