Help for REO

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK - so where is the AMERICAN Red Cross and the National Guard? Are they helping the people in OUR country??
Why would they help our own people? (Katrina folks are still living in trailers) and their homes are slow to be rebuilt.
default_unsure.png
Seems we can raise millions for other countries but we can't do for our own (I guess because it isn't the "IN" thing to do) OOPS I will probably get tar & feathers for saying that
default_rolleyes.gif

OK - so where is the AMERICAN Red Cross and the National Guard? Are they helping the people in OUR country??
Why would they help our own people? (Katrina folks are still living in trailers) and their homes are slow to be rebuilt.
default_unsure.png
Seems we can raise millions for other countries but we can't do for our own (I guess because it isn't the "IN" thing to do) OOPS I will probably get tar & feathers for saying that
default_rolleyes.gif

Not from me you won't!
default_no.gif

I'm glad Theresa and others have their power back on.
default_smile.png

We don't. This is day 9 for us without water or electricity. The best answer I get when I call is "Maybe next week."

I know they are making sure the town we are 1/4 mile from (who have had water the whole time!) are getting fixed first. They have had lights on for at least 3 days now, but they can't come here?

I've been told to be grateful for the offer of help and Mary knows, I AM!
default_yes.gif

A certain MAN thinks he can do this by himself
default_rolleyes.gif

Me, I'm in grateful tears to even be thought of. Thank you all for that.

There is damage everywhere you look. But the people that come upon our place slow down and gawk at how bad it is.

My horses are eating the bark off those trees and there's nothing I can do about it. When their water starts getting too low, maybe I can call the fire dept?

Theresa stopped by last night and it felt SO good to get that hug!
default_wub.png

My son is in the National Guard. Hes at drill right now (we could barely get him there with this ohio storm) Im wondering if he will be sent out or stay here to clean this storm up??? I may not see him until tomorrow nght as he was going to stay at the armory tonight as he was afraid he couldnt get home and back for drill tomorrow.

REO...I so wish I could come down and wisk those minis of yours away and bring them here so u would not have to worry about them
default_no.gif

REO-I know EXACTLY how you feel with the electric being so close. Last year we were out for 11 days, but the bad part was everyone around us, even on our road had electric back on except our house, our barn and one other neighbor. Finally, on Saturday we were at the barn trying to get water and everybody fed. My son took off up the road looking around. The next thing we know here comes his truck up the road with an electric company truck following him. Now, mind you he is normally a pretty easy going kid, but he had come to his limit. He went out the road, found these 3 guys that were in Kentucky from Virginia working and asked them if they could come look and see why we had no electric. They agreed to come with him, but told him if it was something easy they could probably fix it, but if it was major we would just have to keep waiting. They came and looked and it was one of the huge fuses on the pole. They went back out the road, got one and we had electric in about 15 minutes!!!!! Those 3 fellows from Virginia were our Angels. I can't describe the feeling knowing that our house would be back to normal that night. I still worry if those guys had told my son they couldn't fix it what he would have done. I have visions of him tackling them and sitting on them till they agreed to fix it!!!!!!

Keep hanging in there everybody that is without electric. Hopefully, all will be well soon. Our thoughts and prayers are with you. I know it about drove me crazy last year worrying about the horses and dogs. Wish we were closer and could do something to help you guys.

I just looked up the distance on Mapquest
default_no.gif
, there's just no way I could come help 1,441 miles away. I hope I don't offend anyone, but the best I can do is keep you in my prayers, but if you think of any way I could help from here LET ME KNOW!!! I'd love to do anything I could!

Best Wishes to everyone who was affected by the storm; my prayers are with you and your mini's!!!

Heard from Stephanie at 3C this morning. they got their POWER on! They are going to be ok. She hasn't said how much of a mess they have to clean up.
Now I am hearing of Sandy R in bad shape in VA.

default_no.gif

Charlotte

Oh no, what is going on with Sandy in VA??

Yes, we have our power back on, thankfully. We had a generator for all except the first night, as I couldn't get it to start. We hauled it to my brother's house and he got it going, so then we were able to run the furnace after that. I live in Marlow, actually the Central High area, and since the entire town of Marlow was without power, I had to drive 30 minutes to Lawton every day to fill up my gas cans for my generator. It was costing me $25 a day just to keep the generator going, but I'm not complaining, that generator is now my best friend, LOL. We were without water part of the time due to the water department's generator going down. It came back on just as we were getting ready to haul water from Lawton for the horses. Tree branches are down on the fences and one even fell on the roof of the horse trailer. Some of the trees in my front yard snapped in half, now it just looks like I have thick sticks in the ground! And one of my trees in the pasture split right down the middle.
default_no.gif

I can't believe how bad that storm was!! Yes, some of the power lines and poles were damaged by tree branches, but in this area, miles of poles were down in areas without trees, simply due to the weight of the ice!! The poles just snapped like twigs!! Guys were brought in from out of state to help repair the lines, it was so widespread. I know they are concentrating on the areas where the most people will benefit, as frustrating as that may be for some. I know my road had electricity right up to two miles south of my house for days before it came back on here at home. Talk about getting my hopes up when I first saw that.

I really feel for the people who still don't have power and/or water yet, especially those with young children, like Julie (CretaHills). My young son had a hard time, so I can't imagine what those with more kids or younger kids are going through.

Robin, are you still on well water? If so, maybe Karrel could buy a water barrel at Atwoods and fill it up at work for the horses, when they need water? We used to have to use one for the horses when we first moved out here.

I'm glad Julie (cretahillsgal) has family to go to but still, it's not like living in your own house. I feel bad for her, Chad and the kids. I pray they get power back soon!!! It's bad enough as adults (stress) but have small kids too.........

Yup, we're still on a well. We do need to find something to haul water in.
default_yes.gif

These storms have in in for our trailer! Each one dumps a limb on ours!
default_wacko.png

It's all melted now just leaving the mess, but here are the highlights of our place

http://www.rokominis.com/website1_018.htm

http://www.rokominis.com/website1_019.htm

I'm glad for those that have power and water!!!
default_aktion033.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I have power back on now.
default_smile.png
It came on Friday night. And has come on and off several times since. It is not coming from our nomal power company. Evidently there was a line from another company nearby and they routed it to feed to our lines as well. Personally I dont care AT ALL where it comes from. Just glad to have heat again.

AND I am so happy to have my kids back in thier normal environment where I can control them. LOL!

REO, Chad and I were planning to come to your house yesterday afternoon with our gloves and a chainsaw. But then Chad got called in to work to haul cows. That that nixed that since I dont really know how to run the chainsaw. Hopefully we can get there next weekend. If you have a coop nearby, call them and see if they have any empty 30 gal barrels. Or know some farmer who might have one. Lots of people around here used them to haul water in. You just have to be sure to scrub them out really well.

Now Carson is going to have to go an extra week and a half in school to make up what they missed. Evidently State Superintendent Sandy Garrett doesnt think that having the power knocked out to the entire county and surrounding counties for over a week is not a "natural disaster" situation and she thinks that schools should have opened anyway. I feel like making her sit in a 30 degree classroom without lights for 7 hours a day for a week and see how well she learns anything.

Oh and another storm is moving in tonight with MORE freezing rain and snow predicted. GREAT!!!! At least all the power poles on my road are new and might hold up better now. LOL!

YIPPEE Jules!!! You got power before we did!!!!!

I'm so glad!!!!

I have a thread on the back porch.
default_smile.png

You're sweet! If the weather is nice, Mary might come next week end and if you want to come visit too, maybe I can grill us something good! You should have seen Cookie! OMG she put pleasure horses to shame with her trot! The guys here fixing the power were stopping to watch her! LOL

Awwwwww... Cookie! She is the only "member" of my family that is not here with me.
default_smile.png

I will be praying that they get the line to your house up soon. I wish that I was an electrician and I would come fix it for ya.

You know... I was really considering breeding some mares to foal next February. But I have TOTALLY changed my mind after this last week! LOL

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back