Help! Dog Allergies

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

splash's mom

Reaction score
To my friends on the forum. I need your help. Here's the back story. I took in a chocolate lab from a family that didn't want him anymore. I couldn't understand why they would give a way such a beautiful good boy, until the constant scratching started and hair was falling out in buckets.( They mentioned he was a little itchy when they dropped him off... right ) Porter has now been to my vet and tested for allergies. He is allergic to pollen, mold, dust mites maybe something else that I can't remember right now.( It couldn't be something as simple as food). Vet is recommending allergy shots. I know what is involved with this process so what I need to know from any one here is, have you gone through the shot process? Did it work? Just as a side note, did you ever notice that the animals you take on for "FREE" always wind up being really expensive.
default_yes.gif

What allergy test was performed? A skin test where the skin is clipped and small injections are made? Or a blood test?

Dr. Taylor

Agree with Dr. Taylor. Start with the testing. I'd also have the vet test for mange.

What allergy test was performed? A skin test where the skin is clipped and small injections are made? Or a blood test?

Dr. Taylor
Hi Dr. Taylor,

He had the blood test. I have had him since May 30th. Started him on Benadryl first.( 6 per day) Kept the itching down pretty well, but didn't stop the hives all over his under carriage or the hair falling out. Did a course of prednisone & antibiotics next, cleared everything right up perfect but came right back as soon as he was off them. He eats Blue Buffalo turkey & potato sensitive grain free. Switched him to this when I first got him. Any suggestions?

I have a dog that must be allergic to EVERYTHING, including me. I have tried every food, medicine, treatment, supplement, etc. possible, EXCEPT allergy shots . It would take nearly $1K to find out what he's allergic to before they could even develop the right allergy shot with an extra $$ price tag for each round of shots. And the % of success was far too low for me to put out that kind of money. In the end, I broke down (broke being the key word!) and finally tried Atopica http://www.us.atopica.com/. This is an anti-rejection drug used for transplant patients. This has been modified for dog use. It is *very* expensive but it did work. I can only afford to give him a 1/2 dose per day and it costs me $150 a month to do so.

I found though, that I started saving a little bit of money because I wasn't taking him to the vet for another round of steroids and antibiotics every 8 weeks or so...running $250-300 each visit. Sometimes more.

The medicine is not without side effects. My dog has gotten these little "growths" all over. The plan is to continue to use the Atopica until we no longer see benefit. At that point, we'll probably have to put him down. He's 11.

In the last month or so, I haven't been able to pay for the meds and he's in the midst of a terrible flare up. I'm taking him to the vet on Friday to get meds to bring this round under control and then we'll start with the Atopica again (I'll be picking up 2 boxes on Friday as well).

And if that wasn't bad enough, our border collie mix (8) and miniature Dachshund (10) started scratching late last summer. The border collie has really thick, double coated fur and got hot spots. So she too ended up at the vet for a round of antibiotics and steroids. This year, when I saw her digging, chewing and scratching again, I shaved her. It's so much easier to bath her with special medicated shampoo this way and she doesn't get overheated. I think we've managed to avoid having to take her to the vet.

We have no fleas, no other parasites at work...all tested for by the vet for each dog. I'm starting wonder if they're allergic to me!

Hi, How old is this dog? Just curious.

I would go with a limited ingredient diet and avoid beef. I would add probiotics to the food. I would not vaccinate this dog except for rabies every three years as required by law as long as the dog has had at least puppy shots. I would not give any rawhide or similar treats. I would probably start with a fish and potato diet. I would bathe with oatmeal type shampoo. I would repeat the skin scraping because a skin scraping is not perfect. I have had allergy dogs and have never done the shots or the testing, but have had great success with "listening" to what the dogs body is telling you.

Dogs can get allergic from bedding or carpets that are shampooed or cleaned with carpet fresh or such stuff.

I had a min pin that scratched out over 50% of her hair. I took beef and corn out of her diet, quit vaccinating her, added probiotics and she got back all her hair. My moms dog gets set off on hot spots by vaccinations. Depending on age I would test dog for thyroid issues. Thyroid dogs get those little skin tags and can get weird thickening of the skin. they are definitely getting something environmental in my opinion. As little as a neighbor using chem lawn, or a dogs favorite spot to lay in the yard having mold in the leaves can set a dog off that has a compromised immune system. Start a journal and jot down things you do and do an environmental evaluation. Maybe I can help. Tell me what food you are feeding, how old the dogs are, when was the last vaccination, what type of heartworm medication are you using, what shampoo etc. Write it all out and I will take a look, sometimes I can help as can others on here. I feel your frustration. best wishes. Hope we can help with brain storming... need some more information, thanks:)

Limited ingredient diet as stated above.

Grain free (this includes rice) and an unusual protein source; NO beef, chicken or turkey.

Flea preventative; most skin allergies are flea related whether you see fleas or not.

I am a professional dog groomer and see so many skin problems. I understand your frustration. My dog was chewing his inner legs -- no fleas, already on a limited ingredient food, but switched that again.. And again.. Finally in July (unrelated to his skin) decided to replace all the rooms with carpet in my home to hardwood floors.. Within a week skin was better, in two it was 100% cleared up.

I am an OCD cleaner, vacuum daily and shampoo often. However that doesn't stop dust or pollen allergies.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok

He is 1 year old as of May 30th. He came to me already itchy. He has red hives all over his body. They started under his belly and inside back legs but have now spread all over. I switched his food to Blue Buffalo sensitive formula salmon & potato. No grains etc. he does not get any chew toys at this point, and I personally dislike rawhide so he has never had that.

I use heart guard. I have eliminated flea products but he was treated with Advantix by his prior owner.He has no fleas according to my vet. I have added Forti Flora to his meals. I do not use any form of carpet fresh but I do have them shampooed once a year.his hair is falling out in buckets. He has no dark or thick patches of skin anywhere. I use an all natural oatmeal shampoo no chemicals or dyes. He comes out of the bath as itchy as he went in. He is a chocolate lab. Don't know if that makes a difference. I have another 2 year old lab with none of these issues. He had his puppy shots and rabies prior to me getting him. I believe it was December of last year, nothing this year for vaccines. Just the scraping, blood work and fecal by me and now allergy testing. I hope this covered all your questions. I really appreciate you & boss mare taking the time to respond.

Blood test for allergy is crappy. Really of no use.

Skin scrapings do not rule out mange. 80% of scabies cases do not show up on a skin scrape.

Food allergies cannot be tested for, only a food trial can be used to diagnose them. Changing foods is not a food trial.

If you are disappointed with the results from your general practitioner then ask for a referral to a dermatologist.

Skin problems can almost always be well managed if you are willing to put in the time and money.

Dr. Taylor

hmmmm, rule out the shot idea. I always vaccinate my puppies. He is just a baby. wow.

His immune system is sure responding to something.

If he were my dog I would put him on yucca. Buy capsules in health food store. Start with half cap twice a day on food and go to one whole capsule twice a day. Will help with inflamation and improve metabolism. Vets roll their eyes about the yucca on occasion, but I have used it with success.

Only takes one flea bite to set off some dogs. Let me think some more and get back to you soon.... thanks for writing back. Really helps to get more history.

added...

PS, any folks locally treating lawns with chemicals?

I would treat your dog as if he has mange even with a negative result on scraping. I have seen so many dogs that improve with the treatment and many vets will treat for symptoms rather than rely on positive result.

does he have "goggles" around the eyes or scabs on ear tips at all, or is he just plain itchy all over his body?

I have occasionally just removed all commercial dog food, start with basics and just begin with a plain food diet and begin to add back slowly. Takes alot of time, but helped me identify corn and beef as problem ingredients in my min pins diet. I hate cooking for the dogs, but can't hurt to try. A good vet well educated on doggie nutrition can help you with a home made diet and set you up with a program to eliminate and discover which foods are reactors. My min pin could eat commercial dog food her whole life once I identified the reactive foods.

PS, do you have well water or city floridated water? just curious.

Ps, even if you treat for scabies, he could have developed a secondary bacterial infection from all the scratching. Its worth a try to rule out skin issues before doing a food study. Scabies is very common and itchy as the dickens. Demodectic mange is also a pain, hereditary, but treatable and can come on when dog is stressed, tends to make hairs "stand up" on end. hard to describe but also very easy to come up with a false negative scraping result. Mites look like little cigars with legs, scabies mites look like little crabs.

good luck! PS, important to move quickly if mange, harder to treat if it travels all over body and gets deep. Various treatments for mange.. Dog is lucky to have you. hope you can find some help for your baby.

I just keep adding and adding, sorry, really wanna help.

Demodectic mange onset in younger dogs most often, not as itchy as scabies, however if they develop secondary infection they can start scratching from that. Heavy hair loss can develop in demodectic mange. I had a dobe puppy with demodex once, once treated skin and hair came back to healthy and never came back.

Can you post a photo? Will understand if you dont want to though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Which Blue Buffalo? Basics has rice & oatmeal.

Wilderness Salmon has chicken, name is misleading.

Tea tree oil is a good for dogs with skin problems. You should easily be able to find a dog shampoo containing oatmeal and tea tree.

Check his ears, sometimes through scratching they can spread a yeast/fungus or bacterial infection to their body.

I know your frustration, good luck.

Back