Helmets

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbrat

Reaction score
Hello,

I've done a search but unfortunately, when searching on the forum so much comes up that doesn't even pertain to what I'm trying to find out. So I'll have to start a new topic even though this has prolly been asked before.

My 3 yr old is ready to be a big tufff cowboy and he can't stand for some one to walk next to him while he's riding, he argues and has a fit ( "me a big boy let go", he's also wants me to let go of the lead rope too, but I'm not ready for that)

I going to get him a helmet. I'd like to hear some different opinions on the different types of riding helmets. I know I want a light weight helmet, what else do I need to look at when getting a helmet.

And why can't you use bike helmets?

I figure something is better than nothing and I plan on using his bike helmet until I get a riding helmet for him. Is there any reason why I should not use a bike helmet until I get a riding helmet.

Thanks

100_1005.jpg

wish they had helmets inside the cowboy hats
default_smile.png

That would be a good idea, to get him some type of helmet to wear. Any type should work or at help, even a football helmet.........

He is a proud and very independant cowboy.......Kudos to him and you for raising such a fine fella!

Beth

Last edited by a moderator:
THe type of helmet you require for horse riding is an approved Equestrain helmet-- they are constructed differetnly form the bike helmets. I got one this summer as youth MUST wear one in ALL roadster classes-- they cost form $45.00 upwards -- I beleive the one I got was $69.95.

As far as him "being a big boy now" while cute -- does not take away the fact you , as his parent are responsible for his welfare-- IF you don't think it is safe -- tell him so & mean it. "Mom will let you know when you are big enough to ride alone". If he has a tantrum-- remove him form the horse & put it away -- he will soon get the idea to do it mom's way or not get to ride-- he will choose the ride.

Good luck & have fun-- they are so much fun when they start getting interested. Hope this helps -- you can get them at most tack stores.

Troxel makes a decent helmut and there also are "cowboy hat" helmuts too with the helmut built inside the hat; don't know if they work well.

Bike helmuts are useless I think. I tried that when my boys were tiny and all they did was keep pushing them back out of place and no protection to the forehead. With an equestrian helmut, they can't do that so easily. They come in fun colors and he can add decals of say john deere tractors or something so he won't mind it too much.

Just tell your little guy if you can't walk besides him, no riding and that's it period. You're the parent, he's the three year old; he cannot run the show! Good luck and have fun with it.

http://www.troxelhelmets.com/products/cate...?catID=pWestern

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the replies!

I know who the boss is and he does too(not that he likes it). But I must say he is ready to ride alone, he is my little cowboy and very handy. And the ponies are as trust worthy as you can get.( knowing nothing is ever completely bombprooof, accidents happen).

I know I'm the parent and it is my job to protect in every way I can, which is why I'm asking.

I hate buying something with out getting reviews on the item esp. if it is very expensive. I'll pay what it takes to get a good, safe, comfy helmet. I've learned you don't always get what you pay for. So I like to get opinions from those who have some experience with the products.

I've never used a helmet either, but want my boys too, esp when they are little. If they were just a little more stylish, western "Cowboy"!

Back in the 70's no one even thought about using helmets. Which is why I have so many questions about them.

The football helmet gives me a great idea for the costume class at the halloween fun show.

Thanks

Thanks for the link Marty!
default_smile.png
going to search for the cowboy hat helmet!

I have a Troxel now and i love it, i'm not sure what modle it is but i can find out for you.

Up til last year i had an aussie (i think that was the brand) it was really old (10 years at least) and it did me very well when i had my first real fast last summer, it didn't even get damaged. (p.s, i took me so long to have a real fall because i was not riding for the whole 10 years lol)

I would not trust a bike helment but your right it is better then nothing. I feel much safer in a riding helment, infact i used to wear my riding helment when i rode my bike when i was a kid.

It is VERY important that you get an equestrian approved helmet when riding a horse. The reason is that different types of helmets are designed to withstand different types of impacts at different speeds and from different heights. A bicycle helmet can not withstand a fall from a higher height like an equestrian helmet will, just like an equestrian helmet will not protect you like a motorcycle helmet will if you are in a motorcycle accident. Also, the helmet has to withstand a kick to the head as often riders can fall under the horse's feet.

I like my Troxel, and yep helmets are spendy. Also, it was advised to me that if I fell and my head hit the ground with the helmet on, then it would be best to replace the helmet as the strength of the helmet may be compomised.

He is a proud and very independant cowboy.......Kudos to him and you for raising such a fine fella!
Beth
THank you for the compliment! And you described him perfectly
default_smile.png

So glad you are getting your children helmets
default_smile.png
. I have always had Troxels for myself and children. They are not allowed on a horse without proper foot wear and their helmets. It's just not worth the risk, growing up I did not wear a helmet but as I got older I realized how important it is, just like years ago no one wore seat belts either
default_sad.png
. Anyhow, Troxel has a policy that if the helmet is in a fall or any kind of accident you can send it back to them and they will replace it for a fraction of the orginal price. Jeffers carries different styles and their prices are good, Good luck in your search and by the way, you have a pretty cute cowboy there
default_smile.png

The key is finding one that fits correctly... as far as I know there is no one helmet that is safer than the others. The biggest thing is each brand fits a little bit differently. If you have a $40 helmet that fits perfectly its safer than a 60 helmet that does not. But really, ANY new equestrian helmet bought from a quality outfit will be worth its salt, regardless of price. I personally purchase the helmets in the $60 range, they fit better and generally have more comfort features like more airflow. But my first was a $40 helmet and I was very upset when they stopped selling them.

I know Im going to irritate some by saying this but here goes anyway. a bike helmet isnt much good for riding because they are designed for frontal crashes only. but a properly designed all sport helmet is designed for impacts from all sides. they come down lower in the back to protect the base of the scull, and have a slight protrusion at the forehead to help protect the face and nose in case you skid on your face. some have provisions for a neck roll, and a face cage. [ think bull riders]. you find these in the skateboard, bike and snowboard sections of better sporting stores or on line. for little kids Ive not found an equestrine helmet that fitts properly or protects better. I am a real proponent of helmets and especialy on kids heads. equestrian helmets are designed in my opinion to first look nice, second to be comfy, and third to offer some protection in case of a fall. Ive writen to two helmet makers about making a better product and got a nice pat on the head from one and a form letter thanking me for looking at the others product. someone else told me that till someone famous wears one they wont sell enough to make them profitable. this may be as untill 2000 bull riders would laugh at anyone wearing a chest protector but now most do. and about half are wearing helmets now too. I kept my kids heads covered and all servived to be adults. I just donated about ten helmets of verying sizes to our local gymkhana club to use as loaners. good luck with your boy as he sounds very independant. DR.

Latest posts

Back